Toy Story date?

So it’s known that Toy Story takes place sometime in the 90s in the summer (I think it was August), but are there any specifics? I’m pretty sure it takes place in 1995, since it was stated that that’s the year that the Buzz Lightyear toyline came out in Toy Story 2. Judging by the commercial from the first movie, it looked like Buzz Lightyear was pretty new at that time.

Knowing that year puts the whole Toy Story storyline into perpective (Toy Story 2 is two years after Toy Story, and Toy Story 3 is a little less than ten years after that).

Yeah, to me, for some reason, it never adds up. For Andy to be 17/18 in 2010, he would be born in 1993.
That means he was 2 in the first Toy Story, which is clearly not the case. To spare myself a headache, I always just pretend less than a year passes between Toy Story and TS2, meaning that even though it released in 1995, the original would “happen” in 1999 or 1998. That’s probably stupid, but I can’t stand being confused.

Who said Toy Story 3 took place in 2010? That would really mess up the timeframe of the original. Besides, in a sourcebook, it mentions Rex being made in 1989, which is probably when Andy was born, since he was also six in Toy Story. Plus, most of Andy’s toys reflect that of the late 80’s/early 90’s.

Oh. :blush: Sorry. hides

In the third film, Andy has two tickets for a concert that was in November 2009 hidden behind other papers and pamphlets on his cork board. So it can be assumed that it takes place in at least August 2010. This would also make sense because his August calendar ends on a Tuesday, which happened this year.

The calendar in Toy Story 2 is in clear view when Buzz and Rex are playing the video game. It ends on a Wednesday, which is troublesome because there were no Augusts ending on a Wednesday from 1997-2002 (the only logical time frame) due to the possible year of 2000 being a leap year. Although apparently the movie takes place on the 15th of August when Andy leaves for camp.

I’m not sure if there’s a calendar in the first Toy Story, but if there is then I’m too lazy to check.

I think Toy Story 2 is set at least 1 year after the first film, and Toy Story 3 is set 9 years after the second.

Toy Story 3 should of been made in 2006 or 2007 in order for timeline to stay the same.

What about other Pixar films. Perhaps they might be set in the same timeline?

Wow, that makes a real loophole.

I don’t believe there’s no calendar in the first Toy Story. And for those wondering, Toy Story identifies Andy as 6, and Toy Story 2 as 8 (that’s where I’m getting the years from). Toy Story 3 begins not even a year after the events of Toy Story 2 with the flashback.

There’s a sort of TS timeline in the Art of Toy Story 3.

I’m very confused. Xp

^ You’re not the only one.

Yeah, any official pics are welcome. I remember seeing the Andy growth model, but I don’t know if that’s what you’re refering to. There’ve been many “official” explanations of Andy’s age. Some say he’s 8 in both movies, some say he’s 10 in both movies, but the official status is what’s in the script (6 and 8 ).

Yeah, that must’ve been intentional, since putting it so far in the past might make it less relevant. But it still wouldn’t make sense to put Toy Story so far in the future (they obviously didn’t intend for that). The big plot hole here is that Buzz Lightyear was introduced in 1995, yet, he was being advertized as new about three years later. Might’ve had something to do with how Barbie mentions how retailers didn’t order enough to meet demand, meaning it might’ve taken time for them to catch on.
Also, August 1994 ends on a Wednesday. They REALLY didn’t plan this out. In a way, it’s good that it’s not restricted to a certain time period.

I think it’s kind of like how Pixar has been doing a lot of the stuff for Toy Story. It’s set in a small suburban area -“Just like yours” kinda deal. We discussed this sort of thing in the old “where does Andy live” thread, trying to figure out what part of the world it’s set in. I think it’s sort of like that, it’s not meant to be analyzed to the extent that we do for everything. It’s just supposed to be an average kid (I know, Andys special. bear with me) in an average town, something that 90% of the audience can relate to.

I think like the design of most everything in the films, it’s supposed to be symbolic not 100% accurate. It’s been a while since we last saw Andy, so he’s getting older and going to college. “Andy’s going to College… Can you believe it?” You’re supposed to. Calculating how old Andy should be doesn’t take away from what they have created. It’s just funny that we as the die-hard fans look this far into the littlest things, when most people would just say “Oh, yeah that movie was really good. I hate that pink bear…”

Well said. I guess they were really thinking about that all the time, since there’s no Pixar movie so far that really requires a date. That being said, Pixar doesn’t make trendy movies, they make classics.

I don’t think there’s a calendar in Toy Story, but there is one however in thistoy story treat for the month of September. Probably doesn’t count though, considering they couldn’t be counted as canon anyway with all the other contradictions they introduce. but if you were to take that calendar to heart, the 9th falls on a Tuesday in September in 1997.