The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling

Was looking through Waterstones website and found this:

waterstones.com/waterstonesw … y/9166066/

It’s going to be her first book written for adults.

I’ll admit I was one of those not stoked on how the Harry Potter series turned out. But it was still a big part of my childhood and I’m kind of interested to see if she can hack it as a writer of adult fiction at all. While I doubt I’ll be at all that surprised as the synopsis claims, who knows? I might be. And it could be good.

So what are your thoughts? It looks like this is a one shot novel. It won’t be out for some time though. (Over 5 months)

Synopsis:

When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty facade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations? Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

Interesting. I might read it! I don’t really have an opinion, though.

I so plan on reading this!

Realistic fiction would be my second favourite genre of book (behind fantasy) and I love JK Rowling’s writing style, so I’ll definitely be checking this one out!

I’ve noticed that the ‘defining’ feature of her writing would be how much detail she puts into her descriptions of things, that was one of the main things I loved about Harry Potter. Based on the synopsis, it sounds like a book that would really need a lot of thought and detail put into it for it to work, and I’m pretty sure Rowling will be able to pull it off.

I most definitely will buy it and read it.

Do we know of a timeframe of the release date?

According to the Harry Potter wiki, it will be released on September 27th.

So has anyone had a chance to read it? I haven’t yet!

I’ve read just shortly after it was released. It is quite a departure from the Harry Potter books and the writing style is different. I have to say I liked it, although I must admit I prefer the HP books. The Casual Vacancy was a good read, no denial about that.

I’m happy to hear that it was good! It would be super hard to top the HP series. I was kind of expecting the reviews to favor the series.

Even though I’ve been reading a lot more, I won’t read this. Honestly I like fantasy and adventure. Suspense doesn’t work on me. I just don’t get excited or care.

I read it. I loved it. It can be a little confusing at first because there are so many characters and it jumps around to all of them, but once you get it all straightened out, it’s a great read. It’s very raw and profane, so if you don’t like that stuff, don’t read it. But if that stuff interests you, I’d say read it. I give a 9.5/10.

I have no problem with profanity! I still need to get around to reading this.

I read about a third of it straight after it came out, but I had to do a lot of reading for uni so it’s just sort of sat on my bookcase now :blush: What I read I liked. I’m glad she’s got this book out- now we know she’ll publish new stuff under her own name. When the Potter series was still going she would occassionally talk about a fairy tale she was writing that she would probably publish under a pseudonym, but recently she said it might be the next thing she releases. She said she has a couple of kid’s book ideas. I was worried that she’d never publish again (or would pretend to be someone else).