Dark Shadows

I am very excited for this movie! From the looks of the trailers, it looks and feels like Tim Burton’s earlier films (Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice). Some fans of the original series are upset with the comic tone that Burton has given it, but it looks so entertaining and engaging that I doubt it will be much of an issue. Thoughts?

I probably won’t be seeing it since it looks somewhat raunchy, but it was a good trailer and the look and setting seem really interesting! And it definitely does remind me of Burton’s earlier work. (which I need to see more of)

Plus, T.Rex and Alice Cooper in the trailer. 8D

I gotta say that the trailer doesn’t appeal to me, but I’ll probably end up seeing it anyway.

My mom is really into the original ones, and she wants to see it. I’m not interested in it.

This movie doesn’t look like my slice of cake.

Someone on tumblr posted this though. I kind of laughed. “Why did I think that seeing Dark Shadows would ever be a good idea?”

I saw it last weekend, I…actually kinda liked it. :slight_smile:

What’s the movie about?

I thought it was decent. The end was a little weird and it was a lot of talking. More dramatic than the trailers make it out to be. But I really liked Johnny Depp’s performance.

Its based on an old 60s soap opera of the same name though my mother says its not much like the soap at all. It starts in the late 1700s. Its about a human named Barnabas Collins that gets caught in a love triangle with the woman he loves and the witch who loves him. [spoil]The witch, as an act of revenge, puts a spell on his girlfriend that causes her to kill herself. The witch then turns Barnabas into a vampire and imprisons him in a coffin, where he stays for almost 200 years until some construction workers dig him up and its 1972. Barnabas returns to his family home and intends to rejoin his family again[/spoil]

Interesting. Reminds me of how 21 Jump Street was based on a TV show, but barely resembled it.

My mom said the same thing. From watching the trailers she said it looked really funny, but when she watched the actual movie, it was more serious than she thought.

I completely forgot that I started this thread! Anyway, I saw Dark Shadows shortly after it came out on Netflix, and I have never seen a more forgettable movie in my life. The only saving grace was that this was the first Burton film that seemed to utilize Helena Bonham Carter’s talents really well.

^You weren’t impressed by her in his other films?

I actually liked this movie. I thought it was kind of kooky and I found the characters interesting(except for that teenage girl. omg don’t get me started).

I misspoke; I liked her in Big Fish also.

This film is the worst from Burton’s directorial efforts. And he has some others that are quite bad too.

I agree with WheezysBestBud, Bonham Carter very seldom impresses in a Burton film.

I suppose it does come off as quite a bad film. 8D But I found it enjoyable for some reason. I watch movies for enjoyment first, then to criticize them after. 8D

I tried to enjoy it while watching it, but the only things I appreciated were visual elements.

Yeah. I know he was a vampire, but I would have liked it better if Barnabus had been nicer.

I would have liked it better if he had been less Johnny Depp.

Or that the script wasn’t so messy. I’ve rarely seen such a disjointed piece.

Haha Johnny is quite a ham. I usually like him though. But he and Burton are conjoined at the hip. 8D