Fawlty Towers

Anyone fans of the british comedy Fawlty Towers. :slight_smile: Even though there were only twelve episodes, me and my dad still think of them as great classics better than todays sitcoms. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Don’t worry he’s from Barcelona” - Basil :laughing:

Ah, the glory days of British comedy! :smiley:

I agree, most of today’s sitcoms can’t hold a candle to this show.
Both the writing and acting are above and beyond almost anything supposedly funny on TV these days.

And as usual, various TV producers were too dumb to recognize a remake-proof show when they see one, and launched various failed remake attempts (even one in German - the mind boggles).
But then again, they even tried to remake Casablanca, so I guess it’s not that surprising…

From A Touch of Class:

Manuel: Ees not easy for me. Entender.
Basil: Ah, it’s not easy for you to understand. Manuel- turns to Danny We’re training him. He’s from Barcelona. …In Spain.

John Cleese was amazing in the show. A perfect performance in a perfect series.

First place I ever heard the word “Ratatouille.”

I’m sure everyone has a favorite episode, but for me, “Basil the Rat” = pure genius. “Veal Substitute.” :laughing:

My second favorite is probably the “Mrs Richards” episode (the grouchy deaf lady), especially the whole “You know nothing” routine with Basil and Manuel, including the ultimate payoff (love the way Manuel finally gets to say, “I am from Barcelona.”).

Man, I haven’t seen these in a while!

The show is a classic, very amusing in parts. John Cleese is probably my favourite out of the Monty Python group.

One thing I like the show for is the rearranged sign letters in the intro, like “Fatty Owls” for example. Always funny.

“There’s too much butter on - those - trays.”

“No no no no, it’s uno, dos, tres.”

:laughing: LOVE Fawlty Towers. Love, love, love it! My favourite episode is called, I think, The Germans, because it has two of my favourite scenes of all Fawlty Towers- firstly, the whole fire alarm thing, and secondly, the whole “whatever you do, don’t mention the war” thing. Absolutely amazing. I am very rarely patriotic, I’d even go so far as to say I dislike patriotism, but Fawlty Towers is one of the rare things that makes me feel proud to be British. The fact that there are so few episodes of it almost makes it better.

I love that show!!! I like the one when he fell off of the ladder! I was just thinking about the show recently, and how I want to watch it again.

By the way, don’t mention the war!