HORRIBLE
HORRIBL
HORRRIB
HORRI
HORR
HOR
HO
H

I don’t think there’s a topic for this, but care to explain your intense dislike for it? I see you’ve even put a line in your sig discouraging others to see it in favour of 9. As much as I like 9, I think GI Joe has its own merits in a stupid, fun, action movie kinda way. I would actually prefer to watch this than say, G-Force or Transformers again. My bro is excited, one of my good friends likewise, so there are actually people out there who are anticipating this.

I, for one, am also excited. The trailers give it that Wanted vibe, and I can’t wait to see the much-touted Paris car chase. I’m also looking forward to the girls (Siena Miller, Rachel Nichols), guys (Byung Hun Lee, Ray Park) and guns (Heckler and Koch, Steyr AUG).

I love the flaming sparks and burning embers (they seem to use that a lot in posters nowadays, but I never get tired of 'em) in the posters:

They’ve even released an extended TV spot so long they’re now calling it a TV trailer: :laughing:

TV Trailer

I think this will be a deliriously fun good ‘bad’ movie, and for some reason, I’m in need of one lately. I have ‘deja-vu’ memories of seeing it when I was young, so maybe it’ll hold a nostalgia factor. Makes me feel like a kid all over again.

Or as tribefan695 from another forum said:

:laughing:

I am very excited for this movie. DO I think it’s going to be good? NOt really. I don’t have high expectations for it. However, the reason why i watch movies is to be entertained. I do strongly believe this movie is really going to make me have a fun time at the movies.

Oh… Look… Traditional Yankee Fear of inteligence appears on celluloid again… The Brit is the Bad Guy… Which is weird for this Brit- as he was The Doctor!

After watching the trailer (and Sundays Top Gear) Marlon Wayans looks cool and Sienna Miller looks well cool… and then you also have Dennis Quaid… That might be enough to consider a journey to the box office… or maybe just enough for a DVD for christmas!

I’ll leave it till the UK starts getting propper advertising other than that attached to Harry Potter

They did the same in G-Force… :wink:

That’s because all people with a British accent are evil. Them and Russians. I guess it’d be mean to point out you misspelled intelligence.

Anyway, as a 1980’s kid I have to see it. It’s law. I really hate the power suit idea though, but hopefully Snake Eyes will still be Snake Eyes. Hey… it can’t be worse then Transformers 2!

LOL! American movies is very stereotypical I guess :laughing: I might go see this, if I have a few bucks and nothing to do. Although about the villain G-Force, I think Bill Nighy was born to be a villian he is one of the two villians that I love to hate :wink: Him and Bellatrix <3

Yes I agree with that. I do not have very high hopes for it BUT I will watch it because it’s like a part of my childhood. And I like Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I found this movie to be very enjoyable. However, most of the action sequences made me feel dizzy. Still, it had almost everything that I would want in an action movie [spoil](especially the fights between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow)[/spoil] I might be crazy for saying this, but I ain’t gonna lie. I think this movie is my favorite movie of 2009 so far.

I’ve never been a very big Joe fan so I probably won’t see it.

Like TSS said, the movie was good. For me, it’s insanely great (even though not great as Pixar movies)
The action sequence is at its first class. Compared to ‘the biggest action movie of the year’: Transformers: RoTF, the movie gives you ‘less conversation, more action’ philosophy. The storyboard kinda well…confusing a little bit as it contains a LOT of flashback scenes. I hate the bad guy - I mean the character itself is pretty weird. [spoil]The guy actually Ana’s brother?[/spoil] At that part of the story, I said to myself: ‘God, get me outta here!’ The ending: Yup, it’s great, and I sense of G.I.Joe 2 coming.

Final popcorn rating: 3/5 - Go for it whether you like it or not, and yeah, it won’t waste your money and time. Wayyyyy better than Transformers 2, slightly better than Star Trek.
The most action-packed (90%, I guarantee) movie of 2009, yet.

wannabechef91 - an annoying movie critic. LOL

Films like this make me head-desk. To me, it looks awful. Just everything about it. It’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is about movies like this that make me question the point of humanity, but they do. I just don’t understand what’s appealing about it…Like, with most movies, even if I don’t like them I can usually get why other people might like them. But I can’t do that with this one, or with Transformers 2, or anything else that basically involves lots of explosions. What’s the point?

Aanyway, I’ll just stop this rant now…:laughing:

So I guess you’re not a fan of big, loud, Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay/Tony Scott action-fests, huh, lizardgirl? :laughing:

Well, TSS and wannabechef’s reviews raised my hopes up. My friends and I planned to see this on Monday, but we dilly-dallied after dinner, and afterwards, my friends collectively didn’t feel ‘in the mood’ to watch it, so we postponed it to next week. :angry: One of my chums already watched it though, and among proclamations of “It was awesome” and “Way better than Transformers 2”, he declared it “this year’s Iron Man”. Maybe it’s the suits the Joes wear, or the fun ‘vibe’ of it all. I’ll verify his claim when I eventually (and hopefully) see it next Monday.

Well you always hear reviewers talking about movies being a “Rollercoaster thrill ride” and that’s pretty much the point. It’s just fun and exciting. Not to say an action movie has too or can ignore all the basics of story telling or film making. That’s why I detest Transformers 2 so much. Some of the action was OK. Most of it was hard to watch. But there wasn’t even any attempt at a coherent story. If I wanted that I would youtube movie fight scenes.

Transposed from the Movie thread.

I see what you mean, Fett101, but that’s the problem- I don’t find those sorts of movies to be a ‘rollercoaster thrill ride’. The action doesn’t make me that excited or tense or anything like that. Human drama, on the other hand, does. But hey, different things appeal to different people. I just know to avoid seeing those kinds of movies (unless it’s on TV and therefore free). :laughing:

LOL. :laughing:

Gulp! Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I just watched GI Joe yesterday, and I was impressed! It certainly exceeded my expectations, I was surprised by the effort they put into character development for a ‘dumb’ action movie, with all the flashbacks and motivations and what not. I still stand by my friend’s declaration that this is this year’s “Iron Man”, it is sheer, delirious, edge-of-your-seat fun, with appealing characters you actually care about, and some pretty wry introspective humour. It also echoes Iron Man’s themes of American weaponisation and the post-effects of war, even if it was done in a more light-hearted and less serious way.

The plot is actually pretty good, about the level of those old Bay and Bruckheimer action flicks of the 90s (before the duo started making sucky movies). The action sequences, while mostly computer-generated and cut too rapidly for my liking, still managed to get the blood pumping (the standout Paris car chase is one of the most spectacular blend of CGI and live-action I’ve seen since The Matrix Reloaded).

Things I didn’t like so much were the villains’ character arcs were a little weak and trivial ([spoil]Storm Shadow killing Snake Eyes’ sensei, and Rex being a little too power-hungry upon discovering the potential of the nanomites[/spoil]), and hence were not strong motivations-wise. McCullen’s was okay, since he was basically [spoil]avenging an ancestor[/spoil]. Duke and the Baroness’ history was much more interesting, and Ripcord and Scarlett’s love-hate relationship was cute and provided much of the laughs.

Overall, GI Joe turns out to be an unexpectedly good action flick, contrary to the film critics’ negative opinions. The scriptwriters had at least attempted to put some personality into their characters, and hence fleshed them out from being mere one-dimensional cutouts like their plastic counterparts. Action sequences are top-notch for a mid-budget blockbuster, although it gets overwhelming at points (too many ‘close shaves’, could be better paced). Dialogue is witty and brilliant sometimes, cheesy other times, but thankfully no silly bodily-function or scatological jokes. If you ask me, this was what Transformers 2 should have been, but obviously failed to achieve. In a year of mediocre action blockbusters, I think this may have to be the best action flick of '09 so far.

Just go in knowing that you’re in for a white-knuckle thrill-ride with no ambition to be an Oscar contender and you should do fine.

“And knowing’s half the battle!”

Rating: 4/5