Ganis announces Best Picture category will have 10 nominees

This is old news, and by now, you’re all most likely aware, but since we don’t have a thread dedicated to this announcment, I’d thought I’d best bring it up.

Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences President Sid Ganis announced on June 24 in a press conference that for the 82nd Academy Awards and all ceremonies to follow, the Best Picture category will feature ten nominations instead of five, which was typical of recent past ceremoines.

“After more than six decades, the Academy is returning to some of its earlier roots, when a wider field competed for the top award of the year,” said Ganis. “The final outcome, of course, will be the same – one Best Picture winner – but the race to the finish line will feature 10, not just five, great movies from 2009.”

“Having 10 Best Picture nominees is going to allow Academy voters to recognize and include some of the fantastic movies that often show up in the other Oscar categories, but have been squeezed out of the race for the top prize,” commented Ganis. “I can’t wait to see what that list of ten looks like when the nominees are announced in February.”

You can watch video of the press conference at the link provided:

oscars.org/press/pressreleas … 90624.html

Sorry, Academy folks. I know you’re trying to make up for leaving WALL-E and The Dark Knight out of the picture for being an animated and superhero film respectively, but this smacks of desperation.

I kind of wished WALL-E got a nomination and win instead of what could possibly be Up (although I haven’t watched the latter yet), because as much as I want Up to win, WALL-E truly was groundbreaking in terms of what it did for animation in general, IMO. The Academy had as good a chance as any to make history for 2008 but they blew it on overrated Oscar baits.

I’ll just quote Wall-E Dragon from the WALL-E forums:

:imp:

But thanks for the link anyway, Bill. :slight_smile: By the way, I put forward this motion earlier, but would it be better if there was a movie board created seeing the amount of film-related threads here? It’s okay if the forum admins/mods would rather leave it as it is, but it may be more organised to have a board devoted just to movie talk, just a suggestion. :wink:

Ahh man, this is great news, but it’s about a year late. :frowning: I really would have liked to see WALL-E at least get nominated for Best Picture. It’s a real bummer.

So…is this good news or bad news? I can’t really decide. :laughing: I mean, at least it seems as though movies that might have been left out for some silly reason have more of a chance of getting the award, but then at the same time, is it as much of an accolade to be nominated in the first place now? Is this reflective of the improvement of the quality of our movies, or is it a bid by the Academy to become more popular and exciting and perhaps less controversial?

I’m with lizardgirl on this, and not only that, but with so many films up for the award, there’s a much slimmer chance of films people want to win, to win. It makes the odds a bit tougher for movies that really deserve it.