Susan Boyle & Britain's Got Talent

I’m really suprised not to find such a topic here.
I found out about Susan Boyle when the show was already over. There was an article in a newspaper telling that despite the hype and her genuine talent, she hadn’t won. Further discoveries led me to YouTube and I was really shocked when I saw her and heard her voice. And I nearly burst into cheerful laughter when I saw people and judges, first smirking and looking cynical at her, being stunned in surprise. Like Amanda said, ‘it was the most powerful wakeup call’.
For those, who haven’t seen the video: [url]Susan Boyle - Britain's Got Talent 2009 week 1 - YouTube
Yes, she doesn’t look like rihanna and other popculture ‘pussycats’ (but she is rather attractive and nice - not ugly), but she has a real, genuine, strong voice. And I think, she is a Person among people. I extremely regret that they gave the 1st place to Diversity. Diversity is nothing more than a bunch of breakdancers, which is common everywhere. Every third person is obsessed with breakdancing, and each second can do that primitive popping. This is NOT a talent - everyone can learn how to dance. A few can sing like Boyle, but only she performed for public so far and she was heard, while other ‘not so attractive’ singers act only for small groups of people at local concert halls and deserted YouTube channels.
Thee reason why Diversity won is simple for me: the audience. The audience consists mainly of 12 to 30 yeared old people, who are closer to breakdancing than to singing the songs from musicals. So they voted for Diversity…
Anyway, they will soon be forgotten - we’ll remember them as the group who bit the real talent. Boyle will never be forgotten from now.

By the way, we have the same show in our country - Ukraine’s got a talent. As the British one, it also has a lot of outdated and common stuff. But sometimes something unique pops up. We all were fascinated by the performance of Xenia Simonova. She presented sand animation about Great Patriotic War in Ukraine. Here is the link: [url]- YouTube

Oh, thank goodness she didn’t win. Diversity were a much better act overall and I’m fed up of singers taking over these talent shows that are meant to be about all different forms of talent. I’ve never seen dancing like Diversity’s at all (I loved that bit in their routine when they pretended to do the buzzers like the judges do) and Susan Boyle, although she did have a very good voice, she wasn’t really quite there and her voice could definitely be improved.

I’m all for British eccentrics, but there seemed to be something not quite right with Susan. It’s sad that the fame got to her so much, it seems, and I hope she’s going to be alright. Even as a runner-up, she can still be successful (if she wants to be) and so I’m sure this isn’t the end of the road for her.

Before I heard Susan Boyle sing, I was laughing. BUt after her first audition piece, it was a complete slap in the face. I was proud of her for winning second place in BGT. I loved Diversity though. Their moves were amazing and choreography was terrific.

I also had my doubts when I first saw her, I thought it was gonna be another William Hung. Boy, did she prove me wrong! Even stinkin’ Cowell had that smirk wiped off his face! :smiling_imp:
So it’s both cruel and bittersweet that she crumbled when she lost out to Diversity. Even more ironically, her breakdown probably got more news than Diversity’s win (I don’t follow Brit Got Talent, so i have no idea how good this dance crew really is). I read an interesting commentary in the papers the other day on how reality shows can be pretty nasty. Once they’ve got a cash-cow, they milk it till its dry before sending it to the abattoirs and look for another one. That’s why I hate this genre. It’s ruthless, bottom-of-the-barrel entertainment (although occasionally I would be impressed by a talented individual or two), and excessively narcissistic. :angry:

Yes, the best part of the audition was the look on Simon Cowell’s face (and just about everyone in the audience perhaps) when she opened her mouth. An amazing story for sure, and she should keep her head up for getting all the way to second place. I’ve only seen Diversity’s performance but they looked pretty amazing to me - but I might be biased because I LOVE dance crews in general (OT: I saw Jabbawockeez from America’s Best Dance Crew perform this past week and it was AMAZING).

And what about Xenia’s performances I gave you links to?
By the way, she won a million of UAHs a week ago in Ukraine’s Got Talent 2009!
Sand art is overall interesting because it differs from all those dancings-singings. There are some other interesting works of Xenia on YouTube. She did great in the final.