Terminator Salvation

Are you excited to watch Terminator Salvation?

• Affirmative, can’t wait to be Terminated! I’ll be there opening day in leather and shades!
  • Sort of. The Governator’s not in there, so I’ll watch if there’s nothing interesting on.
  • Maaaybe. Cinema prices aren’t cheap ya know. I’ll hide in my nuclear bunker waiting for the DVD.
  • Not this time! I’ve had enough of post-apocalyptic sci-fi movies. Hasta la vista, baby!

0 voters

Seeing as how we’re only weeks away from the long-awaited sequel to the popular franchise, I think it’s time to have a little chit-chat about the first entry in the series without good ol’ Arnie. By the way, here’s a suggestion. Should we have a “Film & Movies” sub-forum under ‘Off-Topic’? Cos’ there’s a lot of threads about individual movies that they warrant their very own board, I think.

In what is becoming a regular occurrence lately, I never gave this film much thought until I saw their latest and final trailer. Although I’m a huge, huge fan of the trilogy (especially the epic 2nd installment, the best IMO), the teaser and first trailer for this new number were underwhelming, to say the least. But boy, did the new trailer piqued my interest, because it goes into more detail of the plot and who the “Terminator” in the movie is.

The usual themes of whether machines can become human, our over-dependence on technology, even when it’s used against us, and the psychological effects of war are on full display here. But besides the brain food, there’s some neat eye candy too!

We have the foul-mouthed Batman himself, Christian Bale as lead protagonist, newcomer Moon Bloodgood (nice last name) in her feature film debut, and Perth Boy Sam Worthington as the eponymous good-guy Terminator, Marcus Wright.

The action scenes look riveting, I like big hulking robots levelling cities and laying waste to mankind. :stuck_out_tongue: The colour scheme and setting reminds me of Resident Evil: Extinction and Death Race.

The Moto-Terminators look wicked awesome! I can’t wait to see the car chase in the movie, which brings to mind Mad Max 2’s epic desert pursuit.

So yeah, I’m done gushing now. Go watch Trailer 3 now, and share your ideas of it. Personally I think anyone who uses Nine-Inch Nails as their trailer theme for an end-of-the-world flick has good taste. :smiley:

Official site:
terminatorsalvation.warnerbros.com/

HD trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=pcg5t0mT8V4

I was never interested in the Terminator movies, so I might pass on this one. But from watching the trailers, I will say that it looks like an exciting movie.

I’ve chosen the ‘no’ option, though it’s also incorrect to say that I’ve had enough of post-apocolyptic sci-fi movies, because I haven’t, I love that sort of film. But the Terminator films never seemed to be strictly sci-fi to me and now without Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was probably the main draw of the other Terminator movies, I can’t see what’s really appealing this rather unnecessary sequel.

I’d have to say no…never really enjoyed Sci-Fi Violence…rather weak.

Looks like it’s just me & you on this one so far, thedriveintheatre

I LOVED the first 2, thought the third was decent and so excited for this one! Honestly, I didn’t even need a trailer to be excited for this but the trailer most definitely helped! I’m a fan of the franchise - I can recite half of T2…haha (I blame my brothers for that one).

TSS - Yup, fair enough. Have you watched any of them by the way? They’re one of the rare intelligent action films of their kind, something I think you’d appreciate as an Incredibles fan? wink wink :wink: At the very least, check out the second film Judgement Day, it’s one of the best. :smiley:

lizardgirl - Hm, I guess they’re kinda an amalgamation of sci-fi and acton. It’s hard to group it in either genre. I half-agree with you on that ‘here we go again’ feeling :unamused: since T2 was basically the perfect ending to the saga and they had to extend it with T3’s convoluted plot. But this one’s an important chapter that was only briefly touched on in the earlier films; how John Connor survived the apocalypse and lived to be the saviour of mankind, and I think that’s an interesting piece of the puzzle.

Al-Bob - Er, have you watched any of the Terminator films? Their violence is pretty strong by my standards. Even discounting the enormous body count, Arnie’s android takes a massive beating throughout all three movies. That’s why he’s “the unstoppable machine.”
I haven’t watched the Alien or Predator series, but apparently they’re pretty gruesome too. :wink:

CoCoMeister - So it’s just the two of us, then… ah… what a lonely world we live in.
I also have to agree the first two were excellent, and one of the best sci-fi/action movies ever made. The third was underwhelming and unnecessary, but it was entertaining. I’m looking forward to this installment because I want to see how they could bring John’s apocalyptic world to life, which we only saw glimpses of in the previous films. That and the interesting philosophical and technological themes that have been a staple of the series, too. Gives you an excuse to be all pseudo-intellectual on your mates.
“What? Terminator Salvation? Oh, yeah, I’m gonna see it cos I like how it talks about the implications of our over-reliance on technology, and whether a non-living entity like a machine is capable of self-consciousness. Yeah, yeah, very deep stuff, ya know…” :smiley:

Well, TDIT, Terminator was popular when I was young. It scared me more than excited me when I was a kid. I’ve seen a little bit of it, but futuristic/apocolypic movies aren’t my type of action movies.

I had to admit, T2 scared me when I was a kid too. When I watched it again (along with T1 for the first time) two or three years ago in preparation for T3, I realised that I had watched it before as a kid, and all those scary moments came back. But I was older then, so I wasn’t afraid. In fact, I loved the action sequences and appreciated the gloomy outlook of the film, since it’s supposed to be a cautionary tale of technology.
But yeah, I can see where you’re coming from. I’m a fan of disaster movies, so maybe I’m a nihilist who likes to imagine the end of the world in several ways, ha ha. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does anyone support the idea of having a separate board for movie discussions?

I don’t really have a comment on the new movie, but Terminator 2 is a classic. My older sister used to have a crush on Edward Furlong so we used to watch T2 a lot over the years. The very beginning of the movie with the “DUH DUH DUH DUH-DUN” and the robot skeleton still scares me, I can’t watch it. I also read an article in an awesome Australian magazine called “Nerds Gone Wild” about a comparison between Skynet and Google. How about the spoof on The Simpsons, too: “Neddy, Neddyyy!” :smiley: For some reason Sci-Fi channel always plays the second movie, never the first but I’d love to see it.

We’re currently discussing the prospect of a separate board for films/tv/other entertainment. :wink:

I guess you picked the second option, Rachel? :wink:
I love the Terminator theme song! It’s so awe-inspiring and mournful at the same time, the French horns are simply beautiful, and when combined with the metallic drum beats, make it one of the most recognisable sci-fi themes of all time. I listened to it like crazy after watching the second movie years ago, maybe it’s time to ‘dust’ the MP3 off.
Edward Furlong was awesome as young Connor. I like his smart-*ss attitude and how he taught Arnie a couple of wisecracks. The exchange where he teaches the Terminator the epic “Hasta La Vista, baby” line is hilarious and one of my favourite dialogues ever.
Great, a possible P Planet film board! I can’t wait for further developments on this issue.

Awesome new avi, thedriveintheatre!!!

I’m very excited to see this movie!!!

TS2: Were you referring to my Pixar vs Dreamworks avatar of Susan sitting on Mack? Thanks! And welcome to the Resistance! Let’s go kick robot butt.

There’s a new 4-minute extended clip featuring scenes from the movie. Although not exactly spoiler-ish, it does give away a little of the plot structure (ie the order of the scenes you see all jumbled up in the trailer), so you might want to be cautious before watching it. That said though, the new shots are freakin’ fantastic, and is just making me more pumped to see this movie. I may just have to revise my Top Ten list now…

Terminator Salvation Exclusive Four-Minute Clip

Well, it doesn’t look like it’s going to be an embarrassment, like the third.

I love the first two.

Yes. That’s the one I meant. It’s pretty cool. I’m sorry to see that you’ve changed it.

It better be good! I will be super upset if they mess this one up. the first 2 were great but the third wasn’t that good.

Well thanks, TS2. You can see it again at my archives on my “Graphics and Sigs” thread.

Seems the general consensus here is the first two films were good, with the third being pretty disappointing. No complaints, there. :wink:

Since we’re all Pixar fans here, this fan trailer mash-up might be of interest to you:

Wall-E Salvation: The Future Begins

It’s not the only mash-up (there’s about two-three more similar trailers feat. Wall-E and T4), but it’s the first, shortest (audio is from the teaser) and best of all the ones on Youtube. The ‘screen noise’ and timing are amazing! :slight_smile: The rest are worth a look, too, just search ‘Wall-E Salvation’ in the YT search bar.

This movie opens today in the U.S., so if there are any Terminator fans in America, I hope you got your tickets! :slight_smile: It only bows in Oz in two weeks for me. :frowning:

Despite the generally negative critical reception that it’s been getting, I’m still planning on seeing the film this weekend.

Fantastic mash-up trailer, by the way, thedriveintheatre! Thanks a ton for sharing it. :smiley:

I saw the movie yesterday and I have to say, I was pretty bummed. I mean, it wasn’t the worst movie I’ve ever seen but I was pretty disappointed considering the preview looked amazing and I’m a big fan of the franchise. It did have its moments, action and cinematography-wise, but the story to me was crap as were some of the characters (Christian Bale as John Connor was a particular bummer for me) and just didn’t do the terminator series justice. :cry:

My coworkers found the movie to at least be enjoyable, since they hadn’t seen the previous terminators before so maybe it’s just me and my fandom getting the best of me. If anyone sees it this weekend, let me know what you think!

I went last night and watched the terminator movie, and there is a robot that looks like the govinator in it, so i guess thats cool.
but im not a big terminator fan at all. I mainly went because my boyfriend asked me too and he goes to all the animated movies with me and never complains.
It wasnt as awful as I expected.

I was going to see Star Trek, but was persuaded to choose Terminator instead…And it was alright. Not amazing, but it was alright. I was a bit confused the whole timeline thing, but whatever. :stuck_out_tongue: