Fox Searchlight's Adam

Are you excited for Adam?

• Yes
  • No
  • I’ll have to see more…

0 voters

I checked, and I don’t think there is a thread for this movie yet…

Fox Searchlight is releasing a movie this year called Adam. The official synopsis from their website is:

See trailer link here: onemoviefiveviews.blogspot.com/2 … -adam.html

Official movie website here: foxsearchlight.com/adam/

What are your thoughts on this film? For those who are familiar with Asperger’s Syndrome; from what we see so far, does this seem like it will be an accurate portrayal?

EVE,
One Movie, Five VIews.

I’m familiar with Asperger’s Syndrome. From what I see, ADAM sounds interesting. But it’s Searchlight, the people who brought you Napoleon Dynamite!

And ALSO amazing films like Slumdog Millionaire, Little Miss Sunshine, The Wrestler, Juno, and so much more…

With that said, this looks like a good film. I like Fox Searchlight Pictures, and they have a lot of amazing films. I’ll definitely keep my eye on this one. Thanks for sharing.

Has anyone seen this yet? If you’ve seen the trailer, some aspects of it should remind you of Wall-E… :wink:

I’d have to see more to say whether or not it’s an accurate portrayal. From what I’ve seen, I guess it is? I didn’t like how they showed the male character giving a hug, going in for a kiss, that sort of thing. It didn’t feel like something someone with Asperger’s would do. But given that this is a romantic movie, these don’t feel too out of place. :slight_smile:

I like how it’s just announced that the character has Asperger’s. I’m reminded of CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory’s Sheldon. He shows many signs of Asperger’s but you know they’re never going to actually say he has it xP

Btw, I was recently diagnosed, so I still don’t know everything. Right now I’m still sort of in shock that a disorder has its own sort of subculture going on, lol.

We will have reviews of this movie once it comes out, although we have now already seen it. Fox Searchlight is running free screenings across Canada and the US that anyone can sign up for off of the official website: rsvp2.foxsearchlight.com/signup/3

It was a good portrayal of Aspergers on a whole, although some things could maybe have been done slightly better. I’m quite familiar with Aspergers, and what I would say about the film is that it is important to remember that each individual with Aspergers, (or any other difference for that matter), is different. Just because a diagnoses is shared doesn’t mean that two people are going to automatically act the same way.

Essentially, the character Adam is kind of like a ‘compilation Aspie’. Simply put, he shows most of the classic traits, while a lot of people in the real world would have more varied combinations making up their Aspergers.

The film was written by NT’s (neurotypicals), so it is well done in that respect. If the script had been written by an Aspie, then it could have become something really interesting, and probably slightly more accurate.

Still, it’s an interesting film. See if there’s a screening in your area, and check it out if you can. I’d like to hear what other people think about how it’s done.