Great Movie Scores

I am unable to continue band next year, and want to give my band teacher a present for all his time. I decided to give a CD of all the best movie/video game scores. These are the ones I have:

End Creditouilles
I Do Believe in Fairies (Peter Pan)
Main Title: Peter Pan
Main Title: Nemo Egg
Oogway Ascends (Kung Fu Panda)
Wall Rat
Define Dancing
The Incredits
The Battle (Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe)
Kingdom Hearts
Star Wars (Main Title)

I would like to have more. If you have ideas, could you post them?

Guidelines:
-It must be available on I-tunes
-Try and get something from a movie I may know
-No singing, just instruments
-I’m looking for more classical sounding pieces, so could there be minimal say, electric guitar, stuff like that?

Thanks ahead of time for your help (:

I’m a fan of Randy Newman’s “The Cleaner” From Toy Story 2

And I absolutly love John Powell’s “The Scooter Chase” from Bolt Great Instrumental, nice tempo to it too!

grabs iPod to suggest movie scores…

Evacuating London by Harry Gregson-Wiliams - Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe Soundtrack
Main Title by John Debney - Dreamer Soundtrack
Ratatouille Main Theme by Michael Giacchino - Ratatouille Soundtrack
Monsters Inc. by Randy Newman - Monsters Inc. Soundtrack
National Treasure Suite or Ben by Trevor Rabin - National Treasure Soundtrack
Cibola also by Trevor Rabin - National Treasure: Book of Secrets Soundtrack
The End by John Powell - United 93 Soundtrack, although this one is more on the bittersweet-sounding side. And it’s kinda long.
First Date by Thomas Newman - WALL•E Soundtrack ???

That’s quite a few, but you can look them up for yourself. Most of them I think I bought on iTunes. The problem with listening to the clips on iTunes is you can’t hear the entire song, and sometimes the best parts of the song are not in the clip. :frowning: But use your own judgment. :wink: Those are just suggestions, anyways.

Hope this helped!
little chef

I don’t know if it’s avalaible in iTunes, but don’t forget Building the Crate from Chicken Run, by Harry Gregson Williams and John Powell.[/i]

Going bak through what My Comprehensive Orchestra used to play…

John Williams: Superman
John Williams: Star Wars…

Funnily enough they used to play them at the Christmas Carol Service!

Try Conan the Barbarian. Second best film music ever (the first is Star Wars :laughing: ).

Rac_Rules - That’s very kind of you to contribute such a thing to your band instructor. :slight_smile:

Here’s one of my personal favorites, as far as CD tracks go:

The Sixth Station - Spirited Away Soundtrack

The track itself is of a classical nature; a harmonic blend of piano notes and violin strings can be heard throughout the clip. No singers are present in the track. It is available in the iTunes store, as well.

– Mitch

if you want really great soundtracks with just music i recommend Gettysburg…that soundtrack has got some great musical pieces.

It really depends on your personal taste, but you usually can’t go wrong with John Williams.

Thanks you guys. Since a few of these scores are quite long (Especially End Creditouilles, 9:17) I think that should be enough. You guys helped a lot!

Actually, since I don’t think we have a thread for this yet, this can be a thread to talk about our favorite movie scores, if you want.

I think my favorites, depending on my mood, are End Creditouilles, I Do Beleive in Fairies, and Kingdom Hearts. End Creditouilles is a great variety song, having so many different upbeat melodies in it’s nine minutes. I Do Beleive in Fairies is a song I listen to when I’m writing fantasy, since it has this, I dunno, feel to it that just inspires you. Kingdom Hearts is beautiful, with all the emotion and drama of the game in just two and a half minutes.

Favourite movie scores? Well, I love John Williams. My favourite soundtrack of his would have to be E.T. and I love the tracks “E.T.'s Halloween”, “Flying” and “Over the Moon” but all of the tracks are classic. I also like Star Wars (the old movies), Harry Potter, A.I., Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters… it’s amazing how all the movies I’ve mentioned are classic movies and classic scores. Except for E.T. I can’t say I’ve listened to more than a few tracks from those soundtracks, though.

As for Pixar soundtracks, The Incredibles would have to by my favourite, along with WALL•E. The other Pixar OSTs I could listen to as well and they all have their moments. I don’t think they have the same repeat listening value of The Increds, though.

I am not a movie score fan. If there is one score I absolutly love, it is Giacchino’s TI soundtrack. Other than that, I favor individual tracks than the whole thing.

Yeah John Williams is the best ever.

I also enjoy listening to Jerry Goldsmith. If somebody doesn’t know him, check “End Credits” from Star Trek First Contact, it rocks. H’es the guy from Mulan, The Mummy, Gremlins, Alien and so on.

I love the Feather Theme from Forrest Gump by Alan Silvestri. I have heard tons of movie scores, and most of them are good in their own right.

Danny Elfman’s Meet the Robinsons soundtrack is quite underrated, the songs and scores are both great.

The Incredibles soundtrack is brilliant, some of the best animated movie music I have ever heard.

Although it’s a television show, and not a movie. I looooove the Pushing Daisies Original Soundtrack.

I’m sure there are tons of movie scores that I love. I’m definitely a huge fan of soundtracks. But the only one that stands out at the moment is from August Rush. I went into that movie knowing the general concept of it, but I LOVED that August Rush wasn’t about a kid who was a good singer, but instead about a kid who composed amazing pieces to be played by an orchestra, and I think the song they composed for him was fabulous. I wish I remembered the name of it.

My favorite score of all time is Star Wars, and I mean all of them. It’s hard to chose, but I’ da have to say I do prefer the Original Trilogy more. I love the Prequel Trilogy score as well, and I think it gets underrated quite a bit, especially Revenge of the Sith’s. It may not have been as iconic as the others, but it did an amazing job setting the dark, and tragic mood for the film. Also, Battle of the Heroes, is one of the best pieces of music I’ve ever heard.

Other soundtracks I really like are Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Wall-E, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribeaan, the old Batman movies, and a few more I can’t think of.

When it comes to video games, Kingdom Hearts is my favorite. I can’t even describe the feeling the music conveys. It sort of has the darker quality of Final Fantsays msuic, while still conveying feelings of hope, and joy. It’s actually kind of a magical score. Legend of Zelda is also tops, the main theme is one of the best pieces of msuic ever. Alot of the other Nintedno scores are great, the old Sonic Genesis games had cool music, and then of course there’s Final Fantasy and Chorno Trigger. I also really like Motoi Sakuraba, who does Baten Kaitos and the Tales of games.

This isn’t really score, but the music for the game, The World Ends With You, is really cool. Its got a bunch of cool songs, mostly falling in the pop,rap,j-pop, and a little rock category. The songs are on iTunes, so I suggest giving them a listen.

I love the music from Artificial Intelligence, as it’s so haunting and eerie and suits the cold nature of the film. And Jurassic Park has a few really infamous themes as well.

My favorites would be the scores from Alan Menken. Other than that, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lion King, Mulan Finding Nemo, Cars and WALL•E.

For video games, the Final Fantasy music, especially VIII, and Kingdom Hearts.

Lion King had a good soundtrack. I love the movie and broadway soundtracks. Some of the songs made me cry.