Your list of most-anticipated films of 2009

Okay, so I got this idea from the Wall-E forum, and I hope it’s not too much of a repeat of the Movies-new and old thread. It’s also partly because I’ve got time to kill. :stuck_out_tongue:

As I’m sure you all are aware, there are tons of pretty exciting movies coming out this year (something I’m sure editors of film magazines say every year, but I digress), as evidenced from recently released trailers and TV spots from the Superbowl. What are your most-anticipated movies you haven’t seen or haven’t been released yet this year? I think it’ll be interesting to compare your anticipated line-up with your eventual “Best of Year” at the end of 2009, but for now, list which ones you’re looking forward to. Top 10 countdown format (with a short description why) is preferred, although you’re free to do 5 if you can’t think of any, or 50 if you’re a film critic. Mine (subject to change as more trailers get released) is:

1. The Taking of Pelham 123 - I’ve seen the original this remake is based on, and it’s pretty exciting. I’ve been an ardent fan of “Die Hard in a” situational action flicks, so this one doesn’t look to disappoint. The thought of seeing two screen giants (Denzel Washinton and John Travolta) battle it out in a hijacked New York’s subway train (with new political implications in this era of terrorism) sounds entertaining.

2. Fast and Furious - I’ve always been a car chase fanatic, so this fourth installment in the long-running (I know, lame pun) series should be a no-brainer (Ok, ok, sorry! Last pun! :stuck_out_tongue:). Diesel, Walker, and Brewster team up again for a fourth go at taking those sweet rides to their limits.

3. Terminator Salvation - I’ve been a fan of the trilogy (especially the 2nd), so this take on the post-apocalypse world that Connor lives in should be interesting. The trailers haven’t been revealing much of the plot though, so I’m not really stoked yet. But it looks like fun.

4. 9 - The awesome trailer and its haunting “guitar-plucking” music was what won me over. Watching the short it was based on (the director Shane Acker also helms this film in his feature-length debut) and the fact that it is produced by Masters-of-Weird Tim and Timur sealed the deal for me.

5. Earth - From the Brit folks who brought you Planet Earth and The Blue Planet, this wildlife documentary follow the lives and tribulations of a polar bear, humpback whale and an African elephant. I’m a fan of David Attenborough-esque docos, and this being the first film of the Disney Earth branch, I’ve been looking forward to it since last year. Patrick Stewart and James Earl Jones as narrators for the U.K. and U.S. versions respectively is the icing on the proverbial cake.

6. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - I’m a fan of the previous two installments, and the characters are appealing to me, so I’m pretty enthusiastic about their (possibly) final adventure, never mind the anachronistic errors. Rumours are that Harrison Ford of Indy fame will voice Buck, the dino-hunting weasel. And of course, I’m dying to find out Skrat’s further romantic adventures, which I’m hoping with his Chaplin-esque wordless acting, will parallel Wall-E’s attempts at love.

7. Public Enemies - Michael Mann. Johnny Depp. Christian Bale. Channing Tatum. Marion Cotillard (of Taxi and Love me if You Dare fame). Cops. Robbers. Tommy Guns. Enough said.

8. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Probably the most overhyped and hotly-anticipated film of the year, no less orchestrated by the King of Khaos, Michael Bay. Reluctant hero Shia and smoking hot Megan Fox return for another head-numbing mission with Optimus and Co., as they take on the menacing and mysterious The Fallen. Expect tons of exotic locales blown to smithereens.

9. Up - Surprised? Well, not by the fact that Pixar’s next grand adventure is in my Top 10, but it’s not Number One. Well, as much as I’m looking forward to it, I don’t expect it to trump their latest robotic masterpiece since it looks more whimsical than ground-breaking. Nevertheless, I’m supremely stoked to see what Pete Docter and Co. have up their sleeves (Alright, I lied. This will be the last pun) in this Howl’s Moving Castle-inspired tale of a grumpy old man’s last grand adventure with a boy scout, a talking dog, and a mistakenly-named female bird.

And my number one is…

1. Princess and the Frog - In a year of change, for the better or the worse, it is refreshing to see Disney has decided to do a full 180 and return to its roots as the King of Animation. And what better way to do it than a hark back to the old fairy tales of yore, in the beautiful style of Traditional 2-D animation. Featuring Disney first African-American princess, her reluctant frog-lipped suitor (Okay, okay, I lied again!), a firefly that speaks in a Louisiana drawl, and a banjo-playing alligator, this will be (fingers crossed) Disney’s stunning return to form we’ve been waiting for all these years. The breathtaking trailer is proof of that, but there’s only one way to confirm it, and it’s to go see this movie, which I most definitely will.

I’m also pumped for Half-Blood Prince, Watchmen, 12 Rounds, Wolverine, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Star Trek, and yes, Monsters Vs Aliens. :wink:

1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: I’m a huge Harry Potter fan and have been waiting way to long for this. From the trailers and interviews I’ve read, it’s sure to be the best HP movie yet!
  2. Up: Being a big fan of Pixar, I wouldn’t pass up any of their movies! Plus, this one looks like it will be a lot of fun! I’m excited to see what the creative geniuses have done with such an unusual story!
  3. Ice Age 3: I like the Ice Age movies and I personally know someone who works on them!
  4. Public Enemies: I’m a fan of Johnny Depp and I think it’ll be a neat movie.
  5. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: Heath Ledger’s last performance. I think the concept looks interesting, especially how they decided to continue the movie without Heath.

Inglourious Basterds by Quentin Tarantino
The Temptation of St. Tony by Veiko Õunpuu (Estonian movie)

Unfortunately, i find it a bit depressing that there are only a few movies that I would like to see this year. Usually i’d jump up and down in excitement for the latest comic book movie to be released…but they don’t look too promising, so i can safely say that i’ll be giving those a miss.

But, I suppose it’d be best to pick a few of the movies that I’m looking forward to seeing.

Drag me to hell It’s Sam Raimi returning to horror movies, what more could one want?

Up for obvious reasons…and it’ll give me something to look forward to when the summer rolls by :laughing:

The princess and the frog Come on! it’s the return to 2-D animation by Disney! Although with that said, i’ll be extremely hard pressed to find anyone who I know to see it with. So i’ll have to wait for the TV showing, I guess.

Coraline It seems right up my alley, so i’m sure that i’ll be checking that out when it eventually gets released in england.

Other than that, I can’t say that there’s much i’m particularly looking forward to. Although if i see an advert for a movie and it seems to have a popular opinion behind it…I may trek out to give it a go. Going to the cinema just keeps getting too expensive to waste money on anything and everything, nowadays.

Well, I’m obviously looking forward to Up, (thought it might as well be released next year, it’s coming out so late here) but aside from that, I can’t think of anything else I’m particularly excited for. Coraline looks pretty cool, so I might go and see that, and the advert for Wolverine looked pretty awesome. I tend to just see films as they come really, without finding out too much about them beforehand.

Up
Star Trek
Sherlock Holmes
The Princess and the Frog
The Sims
(WTH?)

To be perfectly honest at the moment there are very few movies making me twitch and jump up and down about at the moment… but there are indeed a few

1: Princess & The Frog: Lasseter get to return to his true love, Hand Drawn Animation. And More Importantly Disney Return to Walt’s legacy. Christmas 2009 will be bleak if Walt Disney Animation Studios fail to jump start revival with what they do best! I just hope the UK aren’t forced to wait till 2010 (like we have been with Bolt 2009) for it

2: UP: My Summer is hinged on the release of this movie! I don’t care what the big Summer ‘BLOCKBUSTERS’ Are… All I Care About is one Man, one boy and a shed load of Balloons! I am giddy with excitement and Anticipation… and praying for the Toy Story 3 Trailer to be Attached… if not Tinkerbell 2 would be nice!

3: Wolveriene: I saw the trailer on the PS3 the other day and went all pale when I saw two things… Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool (Movie in the works for him too) and GAMBIT: I am a huge Marvel Fan, 'Nuff Said

4: Ice Age 3: Enjoyable, Fun, Entertaining thats the previous two lets Hope Manny, Sid and Diego don’t fall in the same Pitfall that Donkey and Shrek did aiming for the money!

And thats it for now: others do exist,but theres not much to say yet really; Disney’s Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey, Sherlock Holmes, Fantastic Mr Fox, Watchmen, Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

I don’t know the order they fall under, but here is a list of movies I really want to see. (underlined = top of the list)

Coraline
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
Dragonball Evolution (maybe)
UP
Harry Potter
X-Men Wolverine Origins
Ice Age 3
Transformers 2

Up
The fast and the furious
Harry Potter
The princess and the frog
Ice age :unamused:
Monsters vs. Aliens
Terminator
Sherlock holmes
Coraline
Dragonball
Partly Cloudy {Does this count :question: }

None of these movies are in a certain order. :laughing:

There are actually quite a few movies that I want to see this year, and there are tons that I don’t even know about yet. Here is a list:

February 6th-Coraline 3-D (It has already opened, but I haven’t seen it yet)
March 6th-Watchmen
March 27th-Monsters vs. Aliens IMAX 3-D (I have actually enjoyed quite a few of DWA’s films, and am looking forward to this one)
May 1st-X-Men Wolverine
May 8th-Star Trek
May 22nd-Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
May 29th-Up 3-D (one of my most anticipated movies this year)
June 26th-Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
July 3rd-Ice Age 3 3-D
July 24th-500 Days of Summer (it got a standing ovation at Sundance, and the trailer looks amazing)
August 7th-Shorts (Robert Rodriguez’s family movies are usually fun)
October 23rd-Amelia (Bio-Pic about Amelia Earhart with Hilary Swank. I sense Oscars)
November 6th-A Christmas Carol (I am a HUGE fan of The Polar Express)
November 6th-The Fantastic Mr. Fox
November 13th-Sherlock Holmes
December 18th-Avatar
December 25th-The Princess and the Frog
Unknown release date-Adam (another film from Sundance, this time a romantic, comedy, drama about a man with Asperger’s Syndrome)

Those are the ones that I can think of at the moment, but I am sure there will be a lot more as the year goes on.

Coraline’s at the top of my list. :smiley: I’m so fanatic of a film I didn’t yet see!

Up, of course, being a Pixar fan/geek.

The Princess and the Frog, because hurray, 2-D animation comes back!

Race to Witch Mountain looks cool and packed with action.

And, I think there’s more to be anticipating for, but I don’t recall what else was on my list…

I hate to sound like such a movie grouch…but i’m going to anyway.

Is it just me, or as the years have gone by recently…there just seems to be less and less to look forward to every year. Nothing really sticks out for me anymore, it all appears to just be adaptations or remakes, or sequels nowadays. Some adaptations which shouldn’t even exist in cinema (I’m look at you, Watchmen!)

It could just be me, but it seems as though there’s very little to get excited about these days. Also, I’ve just realized that my argument about adaptations is useless…they’ve existed every year in cinema for years. But i can’t be bothered to delete it :laughing:

Maybe i’m just getting old and less excited for things these days. But that doesn’t seem right because i still get excited to read some of my beloved comic books, and there are a lot of TV shows that excite me more than most new movies.

It’s a little heartbreaking in a way because i really do quite enjoy going to the cinema

I really need to stop rambling so much :confused:

Well, Coraline’s come and gone. At the moment my list reads:
Transformers 2
HP & the HBP
The Princess and the Frog (my career is depending on that to do well!)
Street Fighter
Watchmen
Avatar (provided that the trailers prove it hasn’t been ruined)
UP
Wolverine
maybe Ice Age 3 and Star Trek
ummm…9? :laughing:

Heres the movies I’m looking forword to (In order of release date) :
Up (obviously)
Friday The Thirteenth
Fast and the Furious
Crank 2: High Voltage
Angels and Demons
Terminator Salvation
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
The Ugly Truth
Final Destination: Death Trip 3D
Toy Story in 3D
(obviously)

Besides Up (of course #1!!!),

Night at the Museum 2 (seems interesting, the “don’t touch that” made me chuckle a little)

Maybe…Race to Witch Mountain, I dunno.

Watch Men!! I am a sucker for comic book superhero movies!
Hope they make one out of World’s Finest :smiley:
(And if u dunno wut that is, it’s the comics where Superman and Batman become a team)

Maybe Wovlerine, I saw X-Men too many times, didn’t understand it. But Wolverine WAS/IS my favorite character. Idk.

And Up :stuck_out_tongue:

In no real order

UP! (my summer begins the day this opens)
G.I. Joe (One reason only. Ray Park (Darth Maul) is in it)
Harry Potter and THBP (I’m really hoping this is better then the terrible adaptations we’ve had so far, and it’s so hard to mess this one up)
The Princess and the Frog (I’ve been waiting for this release ever since the 2D animation studios were closed down)
Wolervine (Eh, i’ll proabaly be cool, but it has Gambit so that’s good enough)
Fanboys (I’m a HUGE Star Wars fan)

Movies I’ll probably see, but aren’t really lookin forward too
Dragonball Evolutions (I used to watch this as kid, so I will most likely end up seeing it, but man, does this look terrible)
Sherlock Holmes (I liked the books)
Year One (Harold Ramis. I’ll give it a chance)

Nice to know your opinions, people! Wow, not bad for my first thread on a general topic! :smiley:

I think I’ll add Sherlock Holmes, Star Trek, Night at the Museum 2 and The Fantastic Mr. Fox to my list based on your responses. :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to

Watchmen,
Star Trek,
Up,
District 9,
The Lovely Bones
and James Cameron’s Avatar.

And maybe that Paul Betanny’s Darwin movie if it looks good.

Im excited for the following…

UP
Toy Story 3
Monsters VS. Aliens
Night at the Museum 2
Transformers 2

Thats all i have off of the top of my head. Although im sure im missing some pretty obvious ones. :stuck_out_tongue: