OSCARS

oscar.com/

Well who do you want to win?

what’s your favorite catagory?

What’s your favorite oscars?

this is the place to talk about the OSACRS :smiley:

Not only about this years oscars but maybe next years or maybe last last years

I would absolutely love love love to see This Way Up win the short animation. I saw it last fall at the Ottawa international animation fest and I enjoyed the crap out of it! Slightly surprised Glago’s Guest didn’t make it in.
Like the golden globes I’ll be rooting for KFP a little louder than for Wall-e, all the while wishing Bolt the best of luck.
All other categories can go to Wall-e and Dark Knight, with smatterings of Iron Man and Slumdog Millionaire (which I will try to see in the next 3 weeks)

I want WALL-E to win all of the categories it’s been nominated in. Outside of that, I don’t mind. :laughing:

OMG!!!

SLUMDOG 4EVER!!!

My Predictions for the 6 Big Categories:

Best Actor:

Sean Penn-“Milk”

Best Actress:

Anne Hathaway-“Rachel Getting Married”

Best Supporting Actor:

(Posthumous)-Heath Ledger-“The Dark Knight”

Best Supporting Actor:

Marisa Tomei-“The Wrestler”

Best Director:

Danny Boyle-“Slumdog Millionaire”

Best Picture:

“Slumdog Millionaire”

I sure hope Heath Ledger wins Best Supporting Actor for Dark Knight . It will gaurantee he will be remembered forever for being a swet talented individual…not just another start who died of a drug overdose. I really miss him. :cry:

I read an article in Entertainment Weekly and most who knew him said he died of a broken heart; he had several failed but workable relationships. :`-(

I’m just going to repost what I wrote on my deviantArt account. Voila´:

The Oscar nominations are in!!! I’ve compiled a list of all of the nominations that I’m the most interested in and put a check mark next to the competitors/entrees that I’d like to see win. Keep in mind that many of my opinions are biased. (Duh.) In any other case, I’ll say, “Uncertain”. Here you are:

Actor in a Leading Role:

• Richard Jenkins (The Visitor)
  • Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon)
  • Sean Penn (Milk)
  • Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) √
  • MIckey Rourke (The Wrestler)

Actor in a Supporting Role:

• Josh Brolin (Milk)
  • Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder)
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt)
  • Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight) √ (heck yeah)
  • Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road)

Actress in a Leading Role:

• Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married)
  • Angelina Jolie (Changeling)
  • Melissa Leo (Frozen River)
  • Meryl Streep (Doubt)
  • Kate Winslet (The Reader)

(Uncertain.)

Actress in a Supporting Role:

• Amy Adams (Doubt)
  • Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
  • Viola Davis (Doubt)
  • Taraji P. Henson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
  • Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler)

(Uncertain.)

Animated Feature Film:

• Bolt
  • Kung Fu Panda
  • WALL•E

Art Direction:

• Changeling (James J. Murakami)
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Donald G. Burt) √
  • The Dark Knight (Wally Pfister) √
  • The Duchess (Michael Carlin)
  • Revolutionary Road (Kristi Zea)

(Uncertain. I’m actually leaning towards “Benjamin Button”, even though the art direction for The Dark Knight was out of this universe. In this case, I’ll label it as a “tie”.)

Cinematography:

• Changeling (Tom Stern)
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Claudio Miranda)
  • The Dark Knight (Wally Pfister) √ (by far)
  • The Reader (Chris Menges and Roger Deakins)
  • Slumdog Millionaire (Anthony Dod Mantle)

Costume Design:

• Australia (Catherine Martin)
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Jacqueline West)
  • The Duchess (Michael O’Connor) √ (I’m a bit of a sucker for 18th century attire.)
  • Milk (Danny Glicker)
  • Revolutionary Road (Albert Wolsky)

Directing:

• The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (David Fincher)
  • Frost/Nixon (Ron Howard)
  • Milk (Gus Van Sant)
  • The Reader (Stephen Daldry)
  • Slumdog Millionaire (Danny Boyle) √

(Why didn’t The Dark Knight get nominated in this category? 'Da heck?!)

Music (Score):

• The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Alexandre Desplat)
  • Defiance (James Newton Howard)
  • Milk (Danny Elfman)
  • Slumdog Millionaire (A. R. Rahman)
  • WALL•E (Thomas Newman) √ (duh)

Music (Song):

• WALL•E (“Down to Earth” - Peter Gabriel) √
  • Slumdog Millionaire (“Jai Ho” - A. R. Rahman/Gulzar)
  • Slumdog Millionaire (“O Saya” - A. R. Rahman/Gulzar)

Best Picture:

• The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Frost/Nixon
  • Milk
  • The Reader
  • Slumdog Millionaire

(Again, where the heck is The Dark Knight… or WALL•E??)

Short Film (Animated):

• La Maison en Petits Cubes
  • Lavatory - Lovestory
  • Oktapodi
  • Presto
  • This Way Up

(Uncertain. Once again, it’s a tie.)

Sound Editing:

• The Dark Knight
  • Iron Man
  • Slumdog Millionaire
  • WALL•E
  • Wanted

Sound Mixing:

• The Dark Knight
  • Slumdog Millionaire
  • WALL•E
  • Wanted

Visual Effects:

• The Dark Knight
  • Iron Man

Writing (Original Screenplay):

• Frozen River (Courtney Hunt)
  • Happy-Go-Lucky (Mike Leigh)
  • In Bruges (Martin McDonagh)
  • Milk (Dustin Lance Black)
  • WALL•E (Andrew Stanton/Jim Reardon) √

As you can see, our favorite robot, WALL•E, has been nominated for quite a few categories and, although it was unsuccessful in gaining a position on the “Best Picture” list, it didn’t do too bad overall.

Like I said before, many of my answers will be biased, especially seeing as I’ve only seen a small percentage of these films (I’m estimating 20% out of 100%). Out of the numerous live-action films, I only ventured to view two of them: The Dark Knight and The Curious Case of Benjamin. I also saw a few clips from Tropic Thunder, but that was it. Consequentially, I can only root for a small portion of the nominees in this particular category. As for the animated films, I’ve seen almost all of them; I’ve certainly seen the ones that have been nominated and, despite the odds, I’m rooting for Kung Fu Panda in the “Animated Feature Film” section. Now, don’t get me wrong; WALL•E freakin’ blew me out of my seat and beyond the realm of… the Milky Way; it’s just that “Panda” blew me further. Believe me, it was a difficult choice, for each film has an overload of advantages. The pacing, subtle pantomime, direction, and atmosphere of WALL•E is, in itself, astounding, while Kung Fu Panda's character designs, set direction, humorous moments, and poignant sequences equally captivated me. In the end, the latter won over the former for me, although I still love WALL•E more than any other Pixar film, with the significant exception of Ratatouille.

By the way, if Heath Ledger isn’t acknowledged for his role as the Joker then I will be seriously ticked off. Honestly, I don’t care that there’s controversy over whether or not he should receive a posthumous award due to his passing; he deserves that Oscar more than any other actor in the category that he’s running in. (Gosh, I hope that he was a Christian. Forget his role; I worry for his life. The guy had talent… and an outstanding career ahead of him. No one should die at the age of twenty-nine. It’s been more than a year and I still can’t believe it. shakes head)

Edit: I just returned from seeing Slumdog Millionaire in theaters. It was quite impressive. I give it an ‘A’.

Concerning reviews: If I were to describe my top favorite films that I saw last year in five words or less, this is how I would put them:

WALL•E: Impeccable; captivating; beautifully platonic.
Kung Fu Panda: Opulent; entertaining; artistic.
Horton Hears a Who!: Imaginative; whimsical; optimistic.
The Dark Knight: Explosive; stimulating; symbolic.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Poetic; thought-provoking; … curious.

Significant Edits: I recently changed my pick of “Directing” from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button to that of Slumdog Millionaire, and a tie between the two for “Best Picture”.

– Mitch

I took Mitch’s nice, compiled list and just deleted all but the one’s I’m hoping will win. :slight_smile:

Actor in a Leading Role:

• MIckey Rourke (The Wrestler)

• Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

• Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married)

• Taraji P. Henson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)

Animated Feature Film:

• Kung Fu Panda
    (Tough choice. I LOVED Wall E. It was beautifully done, but personally, Kung Fu Panda just had that extra something for me)

Art Direction:

• The Dark Knight (Wally Pfister)

Cinematography:

• The Dark Knight (Wally Pfister)

Costume Design:

• Revolutionary Road (Albert Wolsky)

Directing:

• Slumdog Millionaire (Danny Boyle)

Music (Score):

• WALL•E (Thomas Newman)

Music (Song):

• WALL•E (“Down to Earth” - Peter Gabriel)

Best Picture:

• Slumdog Millionaire

Short Film (Animated):

• Presto

Sound Editing:

• WALL•E

Sound Mixing:

• WALL•E

Visual Effects:

• The Dark Knight

• WALL•E (Andrew Stanton/Jim Reardon)

Heath for Supporting Role.

WALL-E for Animated Feature Film

Dark Knight for Cinematography

Slumdog for Directing

Man on Wire for Documentary

Dark Knight for Film Editing

Benjamin Button for Makeup

WALL-E for both Music categories

Presto for Short Film

Dark Knight for Sound Editing

WALL-E for Sound Mixing

Iron Man for Visual Effects

and WALL-E for Writing

After sitting and watching the BAFTAs with a quite large distain at Slumdog Millionaire winning anything and everything, and missing out on watching the Animation award being handed out…

So here are my takes on the winners - Well what my heart wants and what my brain says

Actor in a Leading Role:
Heart Says: - Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon)
Mind Says: - MIckey Rourke (The Wrestler)

Heart and Mind Say: - Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

Heart Says: - Meryl Streep (Doubt)
Mind Says: - Kate Winslet (The Reader) (Although I pray not)

Heart Says: - Amy Adams (Doubt)
Mind Says: - Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)

Animated Feature Film:
Heart would Love a tie
Mind Says: - WALL•E

Art Direction:
Heart Says: - The Dark Knight (Wally Pfister)
Mind Says: - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Donald G. Burt)

Cinematography:
Heart Says: - The Dark Knight (Wally Pfister)
Mind Says: - Slumdog Millionaire (Anthony Dod Mantle)

Costume Design:
Heart and Mind both Say: - The Duchess (Michael O’Connor)

Directing:
Heart Says: - Frost/Nixon (Ron Howard)
Mind Says: - Slumdog Millionaire (Danny Boyle)

Music (Score):
Heart Says: - WALL•E (Thomas Newman)
Mind Says: - Slumdog Millionaire (A. R. Rahman)

Music (Song):
Heart Says: - WALL•E (“Down to Earth” - Peter Gabriel)
Mind Says it’ll go to - Slumdog Millionaire

Best Picture:
Heart Says: - Frost/Nixon
Mind Says: - Slumdog Millionaire

Short Film (Animated):
Heart and Mind Says: - Presto

Sound Editing:
Heart Says: - The Dark Knight

Sound Mixing:
Heart Says: - WALL•E

Visual Effects:
Heart Says: - The Dark Knight
Mind Says: - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Heart Says: - WALL•E (Andrew Stanton/Jim Reardon)
MInd Says: - In Bruges (Martin McDonagh)

Concerning last night’s Oscars, I’m simply going to reiterate what I stated on an Upcoming Pixar article:

Woooah ho ho! Man, the Oscars certainly were rigged big time this year! Everyone knows that it’s all a predetermined set-up, of course, but I think they overdid themselves this time….

Well, first of all, I would like to give a heartfelt congratulations to Andrew Stanton and the entire crew at Pixar Animation Studios for breathing life into a solitary robot… and receiving the Academy Award for “Best Animated Feature Film”!! You guys deserve nothing less!

I was actually still rooting for “Kung Fu Panda”, but, after “WALL•E” was very unceremoniously overlooked in every other department it was nominated in, I’m glad that it won the “Best Animated Feature” award over “Panda”.
That said, I remain firm in my opinion that the last “decent” Academy Awards ceremony was in 2004, I believe, when Billy Crystal hosted the show. Now-a-days, I find everything to be politically-biased, extremely one-sided/opinionated, and (at times) environmentally friendly. I mean, come on, “Slumdog Millionaire” won for “Best Sound Mixing”, “Best Original Score”, and “Best Song”?! What the heck?!? They were waaay too biased this year. Almost every freakin’ award went to India, and if it didn’t go overseas it went to “Benjamin Button” for “Best Visual Effects”. (Uh-huh. Yeah, right. It won “Best Visual Effects” over “The Dark Knight” and “Iron Man”.) What really blew me away is the fact that Ben Burtt didn’t win anything, and neither did Thomas Newman. They deserved those awards more than anyone else, and we all know it. (It was nothing less than painful to watch the Oscars’ “updated” version of “Down to Earth” in place of Peter Gabriel.) And, by the way, Hugh Jackman’s performance kinda sucked. Every year they have to capitalize on lame jokes and over-played performances. Oh well. Thank goodness for such insertions as Jack Black’s reference to Pixar and that whole “Screenwriting” bit….

Thank GOD Heath Ledger won for “Best Supporting Actor”. Thank the Lord….

But I rant. Well, in any case, congratulations to Pixar!!

For anyone who is wondering, I have seen Slumdog Millionaire and I loved the heck out of it. Nevertheless, I don’t believe that it deserved as many awards as it earned.

By the way, I love how they played a section from the End Creditouilles score (on the official Ratatouille soundtrack) at the very end of the Oscars. That was a nice treat. (heheh)

– Mitch

Something that I find most annoying about the Oscars is how England seem to treat it like the Olympics or something. Claiming any win for any british actor or actress as “A win for England” It just really bugs me for some reason :laughing:

Nice to see that Heath Ledger got the win, but other than that…I haven’t seen enough movies that have been nominated to have any kind of opinion on what should or shouldn’t have won. Although I do feel that Mickey Rourke was given a bit of a snub for sean penn’s impression of Elmer Fudd. (This joke won’t make sense to anyone i haven’t actually spoken to…but hey ho.)

Other than that…I suppose i’ll just follow popular opinion without having seen the film and just give praise and worship to Slumdog Millionaire.

I now have to go back to partying in the streets :laughing:

The Oscars were okay this year. I still can’t believe they gave Benjamin Button best visual effects at not Dark Knight. I don’t think Slumdog Millionaire should have won all 8 Oscars, maybe about half. I was really mad when it won Best Original Song, Best Score, Best Music, and Best Sound Mixing. Overall, it was an alright show.

I was really impressed with the Oscars this year, especially the show theme with Mr. Jackman. But when Beyonce, Zac Efron, and Vanessa Hudgens came on, I started having headaches.

Anyways, I thought the winners were well deserved. Slumdog was dominant, and so was Benjamin Button. Congrats to WALL-E for all of its nominations and win.

This. Kate Winslet sucks so much, I would’ve preferred it if Meryl Streep had won the Best Actress Oscar. Not only do I not like Kate Winslet’s style of acting, but her eyebrows scare me. I don’t want this country to be associated with such caterpillars as hers.

Slumdog Millionaire had a great soundtrack, but it didn’t deserve to win that many awards. A fair few, yes, but eight, especially over such amazingness as WALL-E? I don’t think so.

I am please Heath Ledger got the award, mainly because I think that if he were still alive, he probably would’ve got it anyway (it wouldn’t have been as much of a dead cert, admittedly, but he still would’ve got it). It’s not as if he won the award just because he died, so I’d say it’s pretty fair that he won the Oscar since he was so amazing as the Joker.

These things have to be taken with a pinch of salt, though. Not saying that those who won didn’t deserve it, just that not always the best films and best people in their categories win, but I guess that’s just the way it is.

Benjamin Button got an Oscar for slapping some latex on Brad Pitt’s face?

WELL ALRIGHTY THEN

After a while, it got boring

mo watching the oscars
Best animated feature - “Oh look!! Wall-E won best animated feature!”
2 hours later- “Oh, Slumdog won… again”
After the show- sigh :cry:

Call it a small and somewhat conspiratorial theory, but perhaps the academy wanted slumdog to win so many for reasons beyond it just being a good movie.

Since the economy is now in the sewers rather than being flushed in the toilet, would it not be a promising sign to show that a movie made for a lower budget with lesser known actors can still reach heights of oscar worthy proportions as well as being a commercial success? Part of me thinks it’s a convenient way for hollywood to find ways to cut down money. But this half is very much a weird one

Oh and best oscar moment for me was Kunio Kato’s speech

youtube.com/watch?v=EtlpHgAls1o

His delivery at the end of the speech was perfect :laughing:

I had guessed Iron Man or The Dark Knight for Best Visual Effects, until Saturday night, when I saw this site. It was then that I knew where this award was going.

benjaminbuttonfx.com/

Haunt - I know this is off-topic, but I am really curious… How’s that film festival? Is there a good selection of films there?

• C-3PO

Yeah I only caught about an hour’s worth of the show (all I wanted to see was Wall-e win anyway) as I wanted to watch a movie then. But from the hour I watched I’d say it was very predictable! I was 7 for 7 with my assumptions.