Site Rules, On-Topic Discussion, and Quoting

Hello, everyone!

I just wanted to bring to your attention a few things. There seems to be an increasing amount of people who are overusing the quote feature, double-posting, and having mini-discussions within a discussion, about something entirely different from the topic being posted in. Before you panic, point to yourself and moan, “That’s me she’s talking about!”, relax and take a deep breath! You’re not in trouble! Let’s just go over a few things, but first, take some time to make sure you’re familiar with the basic Site Rules. :slight_smile:

There is already a sticky/announcement thread here at the top of the Members, Inc. board that lists the site rules, but I thought I’d put them up here to bring them to everyone’s attention again. Pixar Planet is a very large community with hundreds of members, and while it’s encouraged to get to know each other and socialize, it’s important to make sure that when you’re talking with each other within a topic, what you are saying is still relevant to the topic at hand. When you stray off-topic, you can leave behind pages and pages of unrelated discussion, and people who may have been gone a few days and who wish to catch up on that particular topic can get lost wading through all those off-topic pages.

For the courtesy of others, please try and keep things on-topic as best as you can! If you think your conversation with (an)other member(s) is getting off-topic, but you wish to continue the conversation, use the Private Messaging system, or the Pixar Planet chatroom.

While on the subject of conversing with other members, it’s also important to try and get along with others as best as you can. We want to create a safe, friendly environment for all members. If you feel you’re being unfairly treated by another member or even a moderator, don’t make threads or public posts about it, if you can. Instead, contact a moderator you trust, and we will work to resolve the issue as best and as quickly as we can.

Finally, to help keep these boards easy to read and to navigate through, please make sure you use the quoting system sparingly. When responding to a post directly above you, or even a few posts above you, there’s no need to quote the post. Instead, use the ‘@reply’ format, by writing the username of the member you’re replying to, followed by your response to their post.

Example:

TDIT: Yes, I took your advice and finally saw Rio! It was fantastic!

Quoting is good for in-depth discussion, when you’re replying to and commenting on parts of one or a few members’ posts. For more information on using the quoting system properly, please read through the Questionable Quoting thread.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this! Happy posting! :wink:

little chef