wannabechef91's OFFICIAL Up Review.

Day 1

It’s Thursday. The day that I have waited over past 100 days is finally come. I begin my day with my heart pumping like crazy, and I wasn’t even running - I’m sweating. LOL.

5 pm. Period. I dressed up myself as my most favorite Pixar character yet: Carl Fredricksen. Even though I think I do not like one. I gotta admit that sometimes I feel embarrassed with that, but hey, I’m a Pixar nerd, what people can do to stop me? Hah!

6.15 pm. At the cineplex on time. Got the ticket. Got the popcorns and soda and stuff (I do not like eating while I’m watching a movie. This is just a placebo set-up for me to feel much more excited). Just have to wait til 6.30 and Hall 4 ready for the show.

6.25 pm. Hall 4 is ready for the show. Most of the people at the cineplex laughed or amazed by my appearance. Little kids, let just say: “Mom! He looks like the old man!”

6.28 pm. 3D glass giveaway (they don’t sell one, we have to return it). Open the hall door. And…yes! First one! Sweet~ Seat #K12.

6.40 pm. Awesomeness occurred. Partly Cloudy has been my ‘Most Favorite Pixar Shorts’ list. Adorable, and full of values (also the humor).

6.4-something. This is it.The moment I’ve been waiting since >100 days.
It is true that watching the movie in theater indeed a different experience. Plus, it’s in 3D! The graphic, the outlines, the colors were just too awesome.

Ellie scene: I cried myself out. I totally screw up in the theater. At that scene, all people turned silence. But I, well, let just say: The theater was 9/10 full, if they heard somebody talking or doing something supah-weird, they really wanna know what’s happening. All the people did not see me crying, but the sound of my crying was so loud. (BTW, I quoted the movie and the guy sat between me annoyed that I did what all the characters did in the movie. I’m so annoying that time.)

Credits: I asked to myself, why does anyone (in the movie hall) do not appreciate people who made the movie, especially Pixar? And yeah, the first to go in, last one went out. I waited till the end of the whole movie process, then I walked out to the movie hall happily, satisfied and jumped.

P/S: To mods, I don’t know that I’m allowed to post my own review topic, but I do ask Rachel via Skype - but she signed out already.

note: I know I’m not allowed for double posting, but I really wanna separate my reviews.

Day 2

It’s Friday. Which is yesterday. I decided to watch Up before my trip to home (I’m home now!) But now, it’s not the same cineplex as I went on Saturday. And I watched in 2D.

My simply loved my second viewing. Why? The hall was full. And I managed to get the most comfortable seat in the house with just an hour before the movie started.

4.10 pm: My left seat was empty. I dunno why. But on my right, is a girl, really small girl (with her mom and sister next to her).

4.20 pm: Oh, it’s a girl in my age (or much older than I am and a foreigner. Probably Australian or European). Partly Cloudy has started. I said “So adorable” pretty loud that the people in the back heard me. LOL.

4.25 pm: The mas has started. As usual, I began my routine: Quoting the movie. The most appealing quote I did: Carl thumbed up when Muntz went out from the dirigible and said “Adventure Is Out There!”

The woman (the girl on my left) said: You’re already watch the movie?

I answered: This is my 41st viewing.

The woman shocked. “O RLY?”

“Yeah. I’m a Pixar freak.”

“No wonder you knew all the words.” she added with a bright smile.

Ellie scene: This is scene made my day much. Finally, I’m able to let go all my sadness feeling of the scene. I cried super-loud (no, I’m not exaggerating). The little girl said to her mom: Mommy, the boy is crying.
All people looked at me, again. Now, without any 3D glasses or protection to cover up my ‘sad scene’ LOL. The girl (not the little girl) made me feeling better. She touched my shoulder and said “That’s okay, don’t cry”.
People on my back said: Wow, this guys sure loved the movie. Badly.
Some said: C’mon! It’s just a cartoon!
I thought: It’s more than cartoon! And it’s not a CARTOON!

I’m quite furious on that guy, too bad I don’t where he was.

After that, is all the normal thing. And as usual, I’m the last one to walk out. I gave a clap. Happily, full of satisfaction.

I’ll come back. Hunger for more.

Thanks Pete Docter. You’ve made my world a little more perfect. :smiley:

Well, technically you’re meant to post this in either the Up Reviews or Crowd Report threads, but since you look so adorable in your suspenders I’ll let it slide. :wink:

Nice review! It seems like you had a fun cinema experience and I enjoyed looking at the photos. Are you going to go to the same cinema next time, or a different one?

Haha, kind of funny for you to mention that you’ve seen it 41 times on the 2nd day it’s been out (technically that’s not possible without watching it before the release). I can’t wait to go to the dollar theater screenings, I’m probably gonna see it 2 or 3 times in a day on some days when it does. Checked it today, and the poster is there, but the movie isn’t playing yet. I’ll be checking often though

Glad you had a great time, and great costume!

Wow! Thanks! I do enjoy the whole movie process. And it is true what ffdude1906 said before that the movie would be better in cinema. I do enjoy very much. Can’t wait 3rd screening. Tomorrow, I guess. A family gathering. :smiley:

I guess I will because the atmosphere is different. After all, I often went to the same cinema (Day1 & 2) to watch movies.

LOL. Yeah. I still could remember the weird comic face she did. It’s simply funny.
Wow. They’re still playing the movie there? Good for you!

After all I did for Up, I think I gotta re-considered my life a little bit. LOL
Next step to pure fandom-ness: BD player and Up BD

Nice writeup! Sounds like you had a really fun time. I had a good time when I went, but I didn’t quote the movie or anything, LOL.

You should’ve pulverized this guy. :laughing:

Very nice write-up of your experiences, wannabechef91! You really went the whole hog, didn’t you? And I love your Carl look! :laughing: And there’s nothing wrong with crying during a film, especially considering how emotional Up is supposed to be. Those people that said that it’s ‘just a cartoon’ and that sort of thing obviously don’t get that what they’re watching is something amazing, and if they can’t connect with the emotions being displayed because it’s ‘just a cartoon’, then that’s their problem.

Forty one times? That’s quite something. No wonder you knew all of the quotes. :laughing:

Thank you so much Bryko614! I do had a good time! It’s one of my Pixar tradition actually (if I already watched the movie). LOL

You should’ve pulverized this guy. :laughing:
[/quote]
No. I think I should evaporate him into the air if I could. :smiling_imp:

Thanks a bunch lizardgirl! And yeah, I agree with you. There’s nothing to cry, right? Oh God, I’m so furious at the guy right now. Thank God that he did not distract me that time.

I guess, you gotta ask ffdude1906 about this. He’s the real deal. LOL.

Fact about me: I watch the movie during on the way to campus and during on the way back to the hostel (college) via iPod. Wow. I do love techs :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, yeah, I feel pretty proud that I’ve resisted going online and finding it. The thing is, the movie has been so meaningful to me, I absolutely refuse to do anything to steal from Pixar. I didn’t even use passes, I felt so obligated to help the box office, I wanted to spend as much as I could to promote it.

Yeah, I do know pretty much every line word for word. I only do it when I’m by myself or with my friend Gates to get a laugh out of her, or quietly when there’s not that many people there. Thanks for pointing me out chef! :smiley:

wannabechef, I love your Carl outfit! That is too cute! :slight_smile:

But don’t get me wrong, I do help them out. :smiley:

He-hey no sweat buddy!

Oh, you are making it so tempting and even more irresitable, even though it’s already too irrisistable as it is. Thanks for scaring me about crying during the Ellie scene - it’s just great I’m taking friends who are as overemotional as I am. :stuck_out_tongue:

And, as I’ve said through Twitter - your outfit is niiiiiiiiice. :wink:

Phileas: Yeah. And thanks though!
I think you should bring a packet of tissue, because you’ll have running nose. LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s that scene towards the end I always have to wipe my face off with my shirt, every single time. Not once have I made it all the way through without tears flowing down my face.

Also, I’m not saying you didn’t want to help them, you’ve been unable to until now. I will point out however, that I think you should have waited until it hit the big screen though, it’s so much more breathtaking when you see it in theaters for the first time.

Holly molly! :open_mouth: Talk about major Up Supah-Fan! You’re like the Mitch of Ratatouille or EVEIsAwesome of Wall-E… I think you may just give ffdude1906 a run for his money (heh, that rhymes, and no offense ffdude, we still know you’re the ultimate Up fan of the Northern hemisphere).

Haha, really love the Carl outfit! So this is how you look like in real-life, kacak sekali (Debonair indeed)! Maybe if you’re going for another viewing, you can bring along a set of balloons (but be sure to ask at the box-office first, I’m not sure what the policy is in M’sian theatres). Failing which, you can always just inflate them in the theatre hall, at your own risk! :wink:

41 times! :open_mouth: Aw man, you should always experience it first-hand in a theatre, s’ my opinion. I’m sure Pixar will make back the money though, from all those repeat viewings you’ll be doing.

One word of advice though; you might want to refrain from quoting the movie out loud next time. Some people might want to watch it for the first time, and might be annoyed if you spoil the lines for them, or may want to listen to the movie in peace. :wink:

But other than that, the bawling is perfectly okay (different people react to different scenes). Like I sobbed at the end of the final race in Cars, but didn’t shed a tear during Wall-E’s final scene (although both were touching in their own rights). My word, I hope I don’t bawl like a baby for this infamous Ellie scene everyone seems to be talking about! :open_mouth:

And the guy who said “it was a cartoon” can stuff it. Obviously if he held this notion, then why is he watching it? :slight_smile:

Great review, and it’s cool how you made a few ‘friends’ among the audience, however briefly. Your experience just made me all the more excited for my viewing next Sunday (that’s right, I got advance tix, baby!). :smiley:

Haha, Thanks TDIT, and I’ll admit, chef’s awfully close to my fandom! I think Up has a more sentimental meaning to me though, he’s more of a rabid fan! (not that it’s a bad thing, there’s a LOT to love about Up) I don’t think it lacks sentimental meaning to you, but Up has literally changed and affected me. I think only Mitch has experienced something on the level I’m talking about. I don’t just love this movie, I’m IN LOVE with this movie.

Not trying to dismiss you or anything, I just think up has goes deeper for me. You just love the heck out of it! :smiley: This is purely my opinion, I could be totally wrong. Regardless, I’m glad you enjoy it, on whatever level you do!

I have to admit, I’m jealous you’ve been able to see it in theaters lately, when I’m reaching a 3 week drought, UGH! It’ll all pay off once it goes to dollar theaters, expect my count to incline pretty quickly. Once the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out though, that number is gonna CLIMB.

TDIT, whether you’ll cry or not, I’m not sure, but if a Pixar movie (any of them really) has made you cry before, chances are, Up will. There’s a few spots where it can happen, one of them (the part I mentioned before) being the absolute death of me. I lose it every time during that scene, it’s so beautiful. I’m one of those guys that wears his emotions on his sleeve though, and I really enjoy being so compelled by something that it brings me to tears. It makes me feel human, and connected with the story, that I’m taking it for all it’s worth.

I can’t say for sure whether it would lack sentimental meaning or not, as I haven’t seen it yet! :wink: Pretty much anyone who has had a grandparent can connect with it (My paternal grandparents passed away before I was born, but I am privileged to have my maternal grandparents with me, even if they’re like, miles away!). For me, I think Wall-E connects to me on as deep a level you say as Up for yourself and Ratatouille for Mitch, although again, that may change… :wink:

Oh god, now you’re scaring me. :open_mouth: Haha, thank goodness I’ll be seeing this solo for the first time, so I can rest assured those tear ducts can flow without social embarrassment (at least, from my peers :stuck_out_tongue:).

LOL. I humbly said that I’m not a Supah-Fan at all for this movie. Either Up or Ratatouille. I’ll never replace ffdude1906 or Mitch, even though both the movie are my favorites. You just may know me as an ordinary yet a nerd Pixar freak. :smiley:

Well, what can I say…THANKS!!! And again I humbly will answer that I’m not that kacak. I’m just average M’sian or perhaps Asian guy with extraordinary obsession LOL. About the balloons, that’s the only problem during the first viewing. I can’t find a single helium-balloon around the town!

Yep. I thought of that too. Jut like my Ratatouille viewings. But well…the pressure’s on me with members here said the movie was awesome. What can I do to resist? LOL - again.

I will accept the advice with an open heart. I know that they were already annoyed with me. But, I can’t resist it. :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: I hope you do. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah. I really want to punch his face so hard now. :smiling_imp:

Thanks again. I hope you’ll enjoy the masterpiece!

Ahh, I wrote my post a bit poorly, after the first sentence, it’s more or less directed at chef, not you, sorry! :\ As for chef’s post, at least you can be humble in your fandom at on one point or another, I go around everywhere talking about it, and how I’ve seen it 26 times! (well not so much now, but I used to be at the point where I COULD NOT SHUT UP about it. Haha!)