Up at the El Capitan Theater

Each year, the acclaimed El Capitan Theater, located in the heart of Hollywood, California, proudly presents to its vast audience a production by Pixar Animation Studios. Such beloved features as Monsters, Inc., The Incredibles, and WALL-E have all shared the spotlight at this historic cinema. Now, the El Capitan Theater brings you Up, Pixar Animation Studios’ latest film, which will hit theaters across the U.S. on May 29th.

Recently, my family and I received an advertisement slip promoting Up. They send these out every year, so it’s my pleasure to share the latest one with you:

Front Cover:

Back Cover:

Inside Cover:

Note: My family’s address was hidden so as to keep our information undisclosed.

Personal Note: My apologies for the poor cropping of the last image.

Disney/Pixar’s Up will premiere at the El Capitan Theater from May 29th - July 23rd. For further information and tickets, feel free to access the cinema’s official website via this link:

The El Capitan Theater

You can also contact them via phone at 1-800-DISNEY6.

General Admission is as follows:

Adult - $16.00
Child (3-11) - $14.00
Senior (60+) - $14.00
Group Rate (20 or more) - $12.00

VIP Admission: $26.00 (includes a reserved seat in either the Orchestra or Balcony levels), a 64oz. bucket of popcorn, a 20oz. drink of your choice, a no waiting in line)

Please note that showtimes are subject to change, and that if you order tickets they will be mailed to you and are subject to fees.

Keep in mind that this is Disney/Hollywood, so the insane ticket prices are standard for California. I will tell you right now, however, that it’s worth it to shell out a few extra bucks from your wallet. You get what you pay for.

Personally, I never cared for the stage show – in fact, I hate it – … but the movie experience itself is magnificent. There’s an organ player (whom is absolutely brilliant) at the beginning of the show, music from the film being presented plays outside of the complex, there’s a Disney Store right smack dab next to the cinema… and it’s sure to be littered with Up merchandise.

I would recommend buying tickets for the seats at the back of the top balcony, particularly seeing as they’re never taken, so you’re guaranteed a seat. They’re just as good as the ones in the front. I take it that most theater attendees prefer the orchestra seats (on the lower level), but the balcony is the place with the stadium seating and the awesome view…

My father, sister, and I go almost every year, since we’re literally about forty-five minutes to an hour away from Hollywood, so I’l most definitely be attending this event, especially since I missed out on WALL-E last year, most unfortunately.

The Disney Store right next to the El Capitan Theater will, more than likely, be hosting a collage of Up-related merchandise during the time that the film itself will be playing at the cinema in question, so if anyone wants any specific piece of merchandise that’s under ten dollars, just give me a hollar on this thread or via a private message and I’ll buy it for you!!! I would greatly appreciate it if you paid me back and/or if you chose something that’s inexpensive, but you don’t have to. :smiley:

To anyone who will be attending this event: Enjoy!!

– Mitch

Additional Note:

All right, I’m going to tell you right now that there are ways around the ridiculously insane VIP ticket prices. I don’t care what anyone says; it’s complete bull. Only get the VIP tickets if you want to spend a freakin’ boatload of money to sit in the middle of the Orchestra or Balcony levels. Not that we’ve ever actually paid for the VIP tickets, but you can get just as good a seat without reserving it. This is what my dad, sister, and I do every year:

1) Go here: disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_ … ckets.html
2) Select the date(s) and the hour(s) in which you wish to see the film of your choosing. (Make sure that the date you select is for the film you wish to see.)
3) Select the seats you wish to “reserve”. (We always reserve the General Admission seats on the right hand side of the Balcony.) By rolling your mouse over the varying sections, you’ll notice that a box will pop up that displays the name of the section and how many seats are available. I’ve looked through May, June, and July… and it says that every single seat for the Front Balcony Rows on the left and right and the VIP Orchestra Rows on the left and right are all sold out. I think that this is a fault in their records, though. There’s no way that all of those seats could have been taken already. I don’t think…
4) Select how many will be in attendance.
5) Complete your order and print out the dang tickets.

Voila’! It’s as simple as that… and as expensive, but it’s worth it! Either way, don’t buy the VIP tickets unless you really want to. You’re just wasting your money, plus, I think that the asking price for the VIP tickets are $26.00 per freakin’ person.

By the way, on the “transaction” page (before you “Check Out” your order), it says that the tickets you select will only be held for twenty minutes. I take it that they’re only held for twenty minutes until you complete your order. That said, you’re practically guaranteed a seat… as long as you choose the seats at the back. (And, again, the seats at the back are just as good as those in the front. You can see the theater screen fine.)

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun! There’s also going to be an advance screening at the El Capitan on May 28 at 12:01am for members of the D23 club.

Ooooh, orchestra? They don’t play the score for the film, do they? 'Cause that would be very expensive to pay for all of those players… If you do end up going to the Disney store, would you be able to take photos of the merchandise there? Thanks and have fun!

Thanks for all the info! Too bad I’m not closer to CA or I would definitely go!

Rachel - Thanks for mentioning the advance screening! I had forgotten about that. Do you mind if I include it in my first post?

Although various seating areas in the theater are termed “Orchestra” seats, there actually isn’t any real orchestra to speak of during such screenings as this at the El Capitan. There is an organ player and that’s the extent of the music, and the scores that he plays are usually from old Disney films and past Pixar features. Music from a new Pixar film that is about to be screened has never been played on the organ; at least, it hasn’t to my knowledge. However, tracks from the official Up score/soundtrack will probably be played outside of the El Capitan Theater (usually right around where people cue up/purchase their tickets).

I’ll definitely take some photographs of the merchandise while I’m at the event, and will post them up on this thread as soon as possible.

Thanks, again! :wink:

Hannahmation - Thank you! I hope that you have a chance to attend a screening like this one at the El Capitan some day. :smiley:

– Mitch

Now that’s the way to see Up in style! I think that although the VIP ticket prices are expensive, they’re definitely worth it to make the Pixar film experience all the more special. Thanks for the information, Mitch! If I were closer I’d SO attend this!

I just was in Cali and saw Hannah Montana here, wasn’t my first choice film but I was dying to see the theater where all the Pixar films have been premiered! :smiley: It’s actually a very cool experience and I wouldn’t miss it for a lifetime! Definitely worth the money!

lizardgirl - No problem! I hope that you get to visit the cinema one of these days. :smiley:

woody - How awesome! That’s cool that you got to experience it first-hand. :wink:

– Mitch

Hello everyone,

You know that Up premiere that was in Hollywood a week or two ago? Well, my dad, sister, and I just happened to go down there… and I collected a few photographs along the way. Granted, if you were keeping an eye on such Twitter accounts as “gossUP_girl” and “Up_dates” during that time, you probably caught a whole slew of pictures – ones that were ten times better than the ones I captured, anyway. Nevertheless, I figured I’d post them up regardless. My dad got better pictures than I did, so I posted his up, as well. Badda-bing:

My Dad’s Pictures:

It’s John Lasseter!

And the Doc himself!

My Pictures:

Upon walking towards the El Capitan Theater/Hollywood Boulevard, we were greeted by a very exuberant Russell…

The El Capitan was all decked out in its finest dress of balloons.

Woah. They mean business.

We had to go “Up” a little higher to see the display from above!

Who’s that doggie in the window? This was taken outside of the Disney Store, which is right next to the El Capitan Theater. They had Up stickers all over the window panes.

“Wooow. Holy cow.” - Woody, Toy Story 2

Every journalist in the universe was ready and waiting to get a piece of the pie.

Here they come!

I think that John Ratzenberger is right in the middle there.

Bob Peterson is way over there by the darker pink balloons. He’s wearing a black suit.

Yet another shot of Mr. Peterson. See if you can spot him.

You know what, I really don’t know why the heck I took this picture. I don’t recognize anybody, unless that’s John Lasseter back there…

Pete Docter is hiding back there somewhere.

Yes, I fail at taking photographs. Seriously, though, I was on the other side of the street, so it was hard to get decent shots. Other than that, we got the best seats in the house! (It was actually an accident in that we landed up right near were the limos dropped some of the celebrities off. Once we realized where we were, we stayed put. Heh.)

I’m pretty sure I got a shot of Edward Asner at some point, so if you look really closely you might spot him in one of the photographs up there. Oh, and I did get a shot of Peter Sohn, but I… deleted it… along with a bunch of other pictures that I thought I didn’t need. I also saw Patton Oswalt, but I wasn’t sure if it was him or not at the time, so I didn’t get his picture. :stuck_out_tongue:

Epic fail: If we had gone to the other side of the street, we may have gotten autographs from Bob Peterson, Jordan Nagai, and others. Yes, I’m stupid.

Oh, and, for the record, there were so many Up posters around Los Angeles/Hollywood that it wasn’t even funny.

By the way, I got tickets for my dad, sister, and I for the 4:00 PM showing of Up at the El Capitan Theater next Sunday (May 31st), so if anyone else is going perhaps you could let me know so as we can meet up! :wink:

– Mitch

Wow those are some nice photos! Thanks for that Mitch! Hope you and your family have fun Friday! :smiley: just a small coincidence here… I took a photo of the same poster, I can’t find the actual photo right now though, sorry :laughing:

Cool pictures! Thanks for sharing! :smiley:

I won’t be moving to California until June 10th! :frowning: I’ll be there on day one for Toy Story in 3D once October comes!

Nice photos, Mitch! They aren’t as bad as you’re making them out to be! :laughing: You got to see so many famous Pixarians! I think I would’ve exploded if I’d been there. That’s a shame that you weren’t on the other side of the street, but considering where you live seems to be a magnet for anything Pixar-related, I’m sure you’ll get other oppurtunities to get their autographs.

I hope you have a good time seeing Up next week! I’m very jealous right now. :stuck_out_tongue: And thanks for sharing those photos! :smiley: