Up Soundtrack

Nope, there is no image cover or tracklisting yet. Hurry up, Amazon!

But on the Disney-Pixar Greatest Hits compilation CD, there’s a track from Up called “Memories Can Weigh You Down”, and I presume it will make it to the Up soundtrack also. Perhaps that is the song with the vocalist and lyrics?

(And also, I wanted to be the one to create this thread. :wink:)

I really can’t wait for the soundtrack…I’m already psyched for the movie, so hopefully the soundtrack comes out before the film, like last year with WALL-E (Boy, that confused me a bit before I saw the movie. :stuck_out_tongue:).

Here’s that track listing for the “Best of” CD (only one track from Up is on the CD – and currently Amazon has the wrong track list for it – I’ll assume Disney’s track listing is the correct one):
disneyshopping.go.com/disney/sto … arch=10002

Still nothing yet for the Up Soundtrack. Someone asked in one of the other threads (sorry, I’ll answer the questions there in a couple days) why the Up soundtrack info hasn’t been posted yet, and thought that by this point with previous films the soundtrack info had been posted already. Well, I can’t remember anymore how it was with the last couple ones, but the movie isn’t coming out until May 29th in the US. Just for comparison’s sake, another Giacchino-scored movie (with another really great score, if I might add) for the summer is Star Trek. I plan on buying that CD (they don’t give us free CDs, we have to buy them like everyone else) so I’ve been waiting for Amazon to list that one too, as Star Trek comes out May 8th. It was finally listed about a week ago – for a movie coming out 3 weeks ealier than Up. So going by this, we should perhaps expect to see the Up soundtrack listed within about 2 weeks or so? Remember, music is one of the last things done on a picture (and with Star Trek, we actually did it last fall, because originally it was going to come out at Christmas). With Up, the score just recently finished and it takes time to get everything ready, press those CDs and get them distributed. I’d say within 2 weeks you should see the listing on Amazon (if not sooner).

By the way, with Giacchino there’s usually always at least a few track titles that are funny or are puns on something. Have a look at the track list for Star Trek on Amazon:
amazon.com/Star-Trek-Michael … 070&sr=8-1
Some funny ones didn’t make it to the CD, but a few did. There’s the obvious “Enterprising Young Men” (Enterprise), all the “Nero” puns – as well as “Hella Bar Talk” (research your classical composers to get this one. Hint: 1881-1945).

As for the track title “Memories Can Weigh You Down”, I’m thinking (but not sure… it’s hard to remember now) that this might have been the cue to a quite bittersweet/heartbreaking scene in the film (a scene that many others have talked about already in spoiler posts unfortunately). But it’s been a while, and when working, we normally refer to cues by their number (ie, 2M3, 1M1, 5M8, etc) not their titles (which are made up mainly for the sake of the soundtrack CDs… because no one wants to buy a CD if the track listings were just 1M1, 2M4, 6M7, etc). In the tracklisting on Disney’s website, it notes that this is score (rather than a “performed by” song).

And just a personal view here (commenting on what JesusFreak said), I personally think it’s better to always see the movie first before hearing the soundtrack by itself. Enjoy the movie… then enjoy the soundtrack afterwards. There’s only one “first time” to watch a good movie, and I think it’s better not to spoil it, and to see everything together first as it was meant to be seen. After that, go crazy and get the soundtrack. That’s how I feel, anyway.

^ I see those track names at AICN before. Quite funny and I remember a lot of funny names on Ratatouille & Lost CD too. So they’re really named by Giacchino. Cool!

I hope there’s a little song for Up. Le Festin was really lovely.

Me too, it seems they do that for every Pixar movie. examples: Toy Story, You’ve got a Friend in Me, Monster Inc., If I didn’t Have You, WALL-E, Down to Earth. I really hope that this year’s is just as great as lasts :laughing:

There’s a Greatest Hits CD? :open_mouth: OMG! No way! Ireallyreallywantone!

Mr Giacchino does great puns that he likes to repeat on his albums. From the Wiki:

He did the same with M:I:3, Lost and Speed Racer.
Half of the reason I’m excited for Star Trek is to hear his soundtrack! He’s also doing the Will Ferrell adventure-comedy ‘Land of the Lost’. Didn’t know that he did the atmospheric Medal of Honor music too. I’m starting to “like the sounds” of this guy. :slight_smile:

I plan on purchasing this soundtrack and soon as it hits the shelves, and I do mean as soon…

You make a very concrete point, and it makes me wish that my perspective was the same as yours. For some reason, listening to a film’s score before seeing the actual production has never ruined the effect for me. I bought the Ratatouille and WALL-E soundtracks before their respective features were released theatrically, I believe, and I found the films themselves to be just as enjoyable had I not heard the music beforehand. (Even looking at the titles of each individual song didn’t bother me too much.)

Music itself has always had a definite impact on me – for me to truly appreciate a film-tinted composition… it must harness a healthy score. Sometimes I end up loving a movie’s score more than the production itself…

This is simply my opinion, of course. I whole-heartedly respect your personal view on the matter, and agree with it. I’d go along with your recommendation and suggest that others watch the film first and then buy its soundtrack. I simply prefer to listen to the soundtrack first.

– Mitch

I think in most cases, you watch a film, and find its music interesting then you check out the soundtrack album. That’s how I stumbled on Finding Neverland by Jan A.P. Kaczmarek or Finding Nemo by Thomas Newman. In many cases the score album is usually released after the film too.

But some people do enjoy listen to soundtrack albums before seeing the movies, or even seeing them at all, like soundtrack fans, or some composers’ fans, or even movie fans that just have to spoil themselves badly. I’ve become fan of Howard Shore because I was a Lord of the Rings fan and so eager to check out Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack even before seeing the film. Since then I’ve bought every Shore score yet sometimes I haven’t watched the films (Doubt, for instance) or watched them way after I memorized the score (The Departed). It’s like a gamble, you may end up not liking something, but you’re already a fan, so you just go for it.

Same with Pixar soundtracks. Before Nemo, I didn’t really pay attention, but the Nemo soundtrack hooked me and since then I’ve been collecting Pixar soundtracks and usually get them before seeing the films. Except for Cars because I’m not fond of songs, I listened to The Incredibles, Ratatouille and WALL-E several times before going to the theater. I don’t really have to see the film to like the music, because I ended up liking Thomas Newman and Michael Giacchino as well.

What I meant to say is that sometimes you can’t help being a fan and spoil yourself. I really admire those who can keep themselves away from hot, brand new score albums. I wonder how much I miss the “first time” experience, but I think it’s personal habit and all. Maybe this time I’ll restrain myself and see Up without spoiling myself music-wise.

I think if you’re a fan of a composer, just buy it when it’s out. When to listen to it, that is your choice, haha.

JD - Exactly. I share your perspective in that I have also listened to a film’s soundtrack without ever endeavoring to actually watch the film itself, such as Revolutionary Road. Like you said, it’s part of being a fan…

– Mitch

I just noticed that the track listing for Disney-Pixar Greatest Hits CD at Amazon shows the Up track is now called “Carl Goes Up” as opposed to “Memories Can Weigh You Down” which was first listed on the Disney site.

And speaking of CD’s does anyone know when the information for the Up soundtrack will be available (CD cover, tracklistings, etc.)?

Thanks!

Which do you think will be included? I’d think they want to end the disc with a rather uplifting theme, so Carl Goes Up will replace Memories Can Weigh You Down. :slight_smile:

Oh I want it now *. It should be available to pre-order next week!!!

• Edit: I meant the Up soundtrack. I don’t have any interest in the Greatest Hits. Too many Disney and Pixar CDs at home to have another compilation. :laughing:

Commenting on what Mitch and JD said…
That’s perfectly fine… lots of people don’t mind at all hearing a film’s score before seeing the picture. Just for myself though especially if it’s a film I’m looking forward to seeing, I try not to look at spoilers or listen to the soundtrack beforehand. If it’s something I’m working on, then of course I’ve heard the music (and probably have looked at the screen and seen a good part of the picture) before heading into the cinema… but then once I’m there, I’m inevitably thinking “oh yeah, I remember this cue…” instead of being completely transported away into the story (occupational hazard). So I try to especially take care if it’s something I haven’t worked on. A long time ago I bought a CD soundtrack before I could see the picture (it was a foreign movie) and listened to the soundtrack a few times. I couldn’t help but try to imagine what might be happening in the story while listening to that music cold… and while that’s great for one’s creativity, it doesn’t gel when the movie comes out and has its own ideas of what happens. So for myself, I guess I try to have discipline and not hear a soundtrack until I’ve seen the movie (I may buy it beforehand, but now make sure I wait until after I’ve seen it). But again, that’s just me… nothing wrong in doing it the other way if you’re cool with it.

Revolutionary Road
I don’t think anyone actually saw that movie! But thanks for listening to the soundtrack :slight_smile:

Hopefully there will be more information on the Up soundtrack. It’s now starting to get pretty late into the game, where there should at least be information. Since Amazon has nothing, I wonder if anyone working at a Disney Store or some such place has seen it even listed yet…

^ miafka, what you said makes perfect sense and I do believe that enjoying the film is easier and better when you avoid yourself any spoiler before you actually sit down at the cinema. I’m so easy to give in to spoiler though.

I “imagine” the scenes when listen to the soundtrack as well. Sometimes it’s better than seeing the film itself (only in my head of course) :smiley:

I saw Revolutionary Road, but I didn’t get the soundtrack. I actually was to buy it, but my Amazon order of the CD was canceled 2 times, and I didn’t understand why, so I gave up. Beautiful music anyway.

Really, Up should be on shelves now. :smiley:

It’s been my tradition to get hold a copy of the soundtrack and, like a true fanboy, replay the theme songs & the adventurous bits hundreds and hundreds of times to pump me up for the movie. I wish I could do it now, but I understand that the movie’s delayed over in our side of the pond (yet I am peeved that the movie’s delayed over in our side of the pond).

But I am waiting patiently. Hope that patience holds up though.

Yes! The soundtrack! I must have it as soon as it comes out. :laughing: Even though I haven’t heard much scores from the movie (because the movie is not out yet at the moment for me), I would still love to get a copy of the soundtrack. I usually like to order the soundtrack along with the “Art of…” book from Amazon. I did that last time with Wall-E. And I look forward to Up’s next! :smiley:

wheres the soundtrack must be around by now :slight_smile:

hey, guys. I absolutely loved Up’s score. It was flawless in every single way. Just read this snippet from my review of Up:

The music of Up is outstanding and timeless. Giacchino’s score adds more dimension to the film than plastic glasses could ever hope to. The music of Up was absolutely beautiful. I particularly love the music of the first sequence of the film during the montage of Carl and Ellie’s life, which is then continued in different octaves and ways for the rest of the movie, reminding you of Carl’s past happiness and current heartache. Michael Giacchino’s score of Up is my favorite from any Pixar movie so far (although I think I may like the song during the credits of Monsters, Inc., ‘I Wouldn’t have Nothin’ If I Didn’t Have You’, and Randy Newman’s score for Toy Story a teensy bit more).

Read the rest of my review here (disneyetc.blogspot.com/2009/05/m … loudy.html)! Enjoy!

And here it is!

amazon.com/gp/product/B002A4 … 315&sr=8-3

26 tracks, 53 minutes

Darn. How did you find that page and I didn’t, Elikrotupos? I was just looking for it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice find, and beautiful cover. I love it. Hopefully the music will be just as vibrant. And. We. Have. Samples!!! I listened to a few seconds of the first track, but stopped because I don’t want the music ruined. But what I listened to was nice, and very [spoil]old-timey[/spoil].

because it’s only in the MP3 Downloads department, not under the Music department. I searched “giacchino up” in all department and it gave me this mysterious “Up with Titles” track, and i cried! :smiley: