Favorite Pixar Action Sequences

I didn’t see this topic already listed - apologies if I missed it. What are your favorite Action Sequences in the Pixar features? (I’m going to spoiler-tag the one from “Up,” but not the older ones - let me know if I should.) My top 4:

Still #1, hasn’t been dethroned yet - The Door Vault sequence in Monsters, Inc. The fantastic concept of the Door Vault to begin with, the whole “roller coaster” aspect, the climactic plot thrills, the gags of going in and out the various doors, and the realization that this is something that could never ever be done in live action…

2 and 3 - Since I’ve seen one several times recently, and haven’t seen the other in a while, it’s hard to rank them, but…
The Flight of Flik’s Bird in A Bug’s Life. From that head-spinning shot from Flik’s point of view when they plummet out of the tree, to PT Flea putting the match to the lighter fluid, just one great moment after another.
From Up, the [spoil]“Pursuit”/“Escape From Muntz Mountain” sequence - the choreography of Carl, Russell, Kevin and the house, all connected but separate, Carl pulling the house around the pillar of rock, Russell swinging at the end of his tether - and the moment when we learn that Dug isn’t just cute and funny, he’s also brave and heroic. Really thrilling.[/spoil]

4th, an Honorable Mention: The Rats evacuating the farmhouse in Ratatouille. For some reason, this played better on the big screen than at home, but there are still some great moments (best is the overhead shot of them floating down the river with the lightning/thunder). The music is a big factor in this one, too.

There are lots of others, but these are my favorites. What are yours?

Nice idea for a thread, karly05! :smiley: My number one is the same as yours, the Monsters, Inc. door chase sequence. It flows so well and is such a great idea that it’s a pleasure to watch, whilst being exciting at the same time. I love it when they go into the French room and there’s that sort of ‘huh?’ moment when they land sideways.

For me, the second best action sequence in a Pixar film has to be when Nemo gets taken away and Marlin starts going after him. That dramatic piano music when Marlin surfaces always gets me, and there’s something about the whole scene that is really quite scary.

And my third favourite action sequence is Buzz ‘flying’ in Toy Story. I just love that. The way it all plays out and he ends up looking strangely elegant…Always makes me laugh.

The door sequence in Monsters Inc. is definitely up there, that is amazing.

Most/all of my favorite action scenes came from the Incredibles. THose ones almost always make me jump out of my seat.

Excellent question… my kinda stuff.

Off the top of my head, the most memorable ones for me are:

Toy Story: The final chase between RC and the mover truck.

A Bug’s Life: The pursuit of Hopper through the raindrops at the end.

Toy Story 2: Woody and Jessie have to swing off the airplane’s landing gear onto Bullseye.

Monsters Inc: The Door Vault sequence. As many would vouch here, this is a classic, and for me, the most imaginative.

Finding Nemo: Not particularly ‘actiony’, but Bruce’s chase through the sunken battleship was quite thrilling.

The Incredibles: The RV’s landing and drive through downtown Metroville.

Cars: The final race at ‘Los Angeles International Speedway’.

Ratatouille: The ‘Paper Chase’ through Paris (Skinner vs Remy). At the mo’, my favourite so far. I wrote in another forum it tops Bourne Ultimatum’s scrambler chase in Tangiers (they were both released in '07).

Wall-E: Not really ‘actiony’ either, though I liked the ship tilt with all the passengers sliding out of their holo-chairs. :laughing:

Up: I think this may top Ratatouille’s, I’ll need to watch a second time to decide. [spoil]The entire rescue scene of Kevin at the end. So many great action sequences… dog-fights (aerial and canine), sword-fights, gun-fights (with the shotgun at the end), climbing up the side of the blimp, sliding down firehoses… it’s so relentless![/spoil] :smiley: