Out There, A Hunchback and Tangled Fan-Fic

Well as I stated earlier, I was going to be starting a cross over fan-fic between The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Tangled. This fan-fic will take place at the beginning of the two films. Which means Rapunzel hadn’t met Flynn yet and Quasimodo hadn’t met Esmeralda and Phoebus. Anyway, on with the fan-fic.

Chapter 1

It was a beautiful morning in the city of Paris. The birds were chirping and the citizens in the city were wide awake and going about with their lives. In the bell tower, lived a deformed hunchback named Quasimodo. He was a little short in size and had orange colored hair. Quasi was a very passionate and caring young man. He had not known yet that his mother passed away when he was a very young boy. That was something that Frollo probably wouldn’t of told his son. Quasimodo walked out to the balcony of the bell tower to get some fresh air. He noticed a small bird sitting on the guardrail who wasn’t able to fly yet and approached it.

“Will today be the day?” Quasimodo asked. “Are you ready to fly yet?”

The bird let out a chirp.

“Ah, don’t be scared. It’s always good to give it a try.”

Quasimodo scooped up the bird.

“Go on fellow! No one wants to be cooped up here forever. Like I have.”

Quasimodo put the bird down on the guard rail and started to weep. He had remembered how long he was stuck up in the bell tower for. Quasi had always wondered what had happened to his mother. Of course, Frollo had never told him what had happened to his mother when he was just a young boy. His master came up to the bell tower to greet his pupil.

“Good morning, Quasimodo.” Frollo told his pupil.

“Why, good morning Master.”

Frollo had some news to share to Quasimodo. It could be the best news that Quasi had heard in a long time. Frollo wasn’t sure on how his son would react to the news.

“Since the cathedral will be going under renovations soon, I’ve decided to take you to another bell tower. At least until the renovations were complete.”

Quasimodo was happy to hear that he would be leaving the bell tower. Unfortunately, he wasn’t sure on how he would like the new tower. He was willing to at least give it a try.

“Sounds great! At least I’ll be free to roam wherever you decide to take me.”

Frollo grabbed his pupil. “You idiot! Frollo shouted. “You are not permitted to leave that tower! Do you understand me!?”

“I guess so, master.” Quasimodo groaned.

It turned out that the news wasn’t so pleasing. The only good thing Quasi got out of it was that he was finally leaving the bell tower after 18 long years. The wait was killing him on the inside.

“Very well then. Let’s get going then.” Frollo insisted.

“Right.” Quasimodo replied. “Lets go then.”

Frollo and Quasimodo left the bell tower just before the renovations were about to begin. They both reached the outside. It was the first time Quasimodo ever got to walk around in Paris since he was a small boy. The wait for him was finally over.

“So, this was what it was like.” Quasimodo said. “To be one of them.”

Frollo shrugged. “Don’t get too excited boy.”

Meanwhile, out at the other tower in near the city of Corona lived a beautiful young lady named Rapunzel. Her 18th birthday was coming up and she always wanted to go see the lanterns. She thought to herself how great of a birthday present it would be for her mother to allow her to go see them. Unfortunately, her mother wouldn’t allow her to do such a thing.

Rapunzel sighed. She wanted nothing more then to see those lanterns. It was a tradition that the kingdom would do for the lost princess. Every night of her birthday, the giant lanterns would raise into the sky, hoping that the princess would return to the kingdom. Maybe this year would have been her lucky year. Meanwhile, she felt something hiding inside of her hair.

“Oh, Pasqual!” she cried.

Pasqual came out of hair as he decided to play a little game of hide-and-seek with her.

“Found you!” Rapunzel said, grabbing her pet. “How about 21 out of 43?”

Pasqual shook his head as he was tired of playing. Rapunzel put him back on her shoulder.

Rapunzel groaned at Pasqual‘s response. “Do you think that this will be the year mother will let me see the lanterns?

Pasqual gave Rapunzel and unsure look.

“Rapunzel!” A voice from outside of the tower cried out. “Let down your hair!”

She noticed that voice coming from the outside. It was her mother Gothel stopping by for a visit.

Rapunzel gasps. “It’s time!”

“Rapunzel!” Gothel yelled. “I’m not getting any younger down here!”

“Coming mother!” Rapunzel replied.

Rapunzel lets down her hair down the tower to let her mother up.

“Hi, welcome mother.” Rapunzel told her mom.

“Ah, Rapunzel! How you manage to do that every single must feel tiring.” Gothel said.

Rapunzel sighed. “Well, it’s nothing really.”

Her mother laughed. “Then, I don’t know why it takes so long.”

Rapunzel wanted to tell Gothel about seeing the lanterns, but wasn’t so sure she would get the reply that she was looking for. It was at least worth the try.

“So, mother. My birthday is coming tomorrow. And I was hoping that…”

“You were thinking about going to see the lanterns?” Gothel interrupted.

“But how did you know that?” Rapunzel questioned.

Gothel put her hands on Rapunzel’s shoulders. “You see, you ask me this same question every single year around this time. You don’t know what the outside world is like.”

Rapunzel wondered what it would be like being in the city of Corona. She didn’t think it would be too bad but then worried a bit by how her mother said it.

“But can I at least go for one day….”

“No! You will never leave this tower! Ever!”

Rapunzel put her hands over her face and sobbed. Gothel came over and patted her on the back.

“I’m sorry Rapunzel. It’s just that I’m trying to protect you that’s all. You never know what to expect out there.”

Rapunzel sniffled. “I guess your right. Maybe next year right?”

“We’ll see.” Gothel replied.

“Oh, I got to go now. I’ll be back tomorrow for your birthday. Love you sweetie.”

“Ok, mother. Love you to.”

Meanwhile, Quasimodo and Frollo approach a bush just outside of the tower where Quasi would be staying at.

“Are you sure this is safe, master?” Quasimodo asked.

Frollo nodded his head. “Of course, Quasimodo.” He pointed his hand toward the tower. “That’ll be your sanctuary.”

“Alright, master.” Quasimodo said, looking at the tower.

“Very well. You are not to leave that tower while I’m gone!”

Quasimodo agreed to Frollo’s statement as Frollo was leaving.

“Besides, how bad can this be?” Quasimodo said to himself.

Quasimodo started to climb the brick tower. He was thinking to himself if his experience in that tower would be better then the one in Paris. He didn’t have too high of expectations for this place but he wanted his stay there to be good. He had entered into the tower through the top window and noticed that it was empty. Quasimodo didn’t notice a single person in there. Not even any sounds or voices to be heard. Finally, he had heard a thump.

“Who’s there!” Quasimodo cried out.

The sound stopped for a few moments until Quasi recognized the sound again.

“So, this is how the stay is going to be?” Quasimodo said to himself. “Well, at least it’s only going to be temporarily……Doh!”

Quasimodo fell down to the hit of a frying pan. Rapunzel had shrieked at who had entered her tower.

Great first chapter! I really enjoyed it. I’m excited for the next chapter.

Thanks! I’m hoping the next chapter will be up during this coming week.

Okay I’ll read it when it’s up.

I’m not too sure if I should continue on with this or not since it’s not well-read like my Cars fan-fics were.

I enjoyed it! But, if you want to stop then that’s okay.

Nah, I’ll probably just continue on with this.

That’s great! I’ll be here reading it when it’s up. :smiley:

I like it! I think it’s really creative how you merged the two together. Of course, Rapunzel knocked him out with a frying pan. :unamused: I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next. :slight_smile:

Thanks! Starting with the next chapter, I’ll probably leave an arthor’s note summarizing the chapter and giving my thoughts.

Haha, really liked it, Ballboi! Quite funny. I never realized how parallel both of those stories were. 8D I was wondering though… why in the world is Frollo taking Quasi to Rapunzel’s tower? Will you go into that more in later chapters? :slight_smile:

Yep. I’ll make sure to do that. Frollo at first doesn’t know that Rapunzel lived in there. It’s like he just saw it and decided to take Quasi to the tower. Anyway, Chapter 2 is now up! Sorry if it’s too long as I didn’t know where to stop. Hope you guys enjoy!

Chapter 2

Rapunzel had shrieked at who had entered her tower. She went to hide behind a chair from the stranger she didn’t know. She peaked over at Quasimodo’s unconscious form. She decided to walk up to Quasi with her frying pan to examine him. Rapunzel glanced over at Pascal who was a about a foot away from her. All he could do was shrug. Turning back to Quasimodo, she moved his head over with the frying pan to get a better look. Rapunzel looked back over at Pasqual to try to get some advice from him. He pointed to a painting on the floor of a face with fangs in the color red. Pascal signaled for Rapunzel to check Quasi’s mouth to see if he had fangs. Using the handle of the pan, she moved Quasi’s lip, revealing that his teeth which weren’t sharp at all.

After a couple more minutes, Quasi’s eye reopened. Rapunzel shrieked again and knocked Quasi out with the pan for a second time.

Rapunzel had wrapped her hair around Quasimodo pulling him into a closet. She was able to get him into the closet and shut the door. She dragged over the chair and jammed it against the door. Preventing him from escaping.

“Ok, ok, ok,” Rapunzel said to herself, pointing the pan towards the closet. “I have a person in my closet.”

“I have a person, in my closet!” She exclaimed. After she said that, she twirled her pan around. “Too weak to handle myself out there mother? Well, tell that to my trusty frying pan.” She laughed as she continued to twirl the pan, accidentally hitting herself in the head with it.

“Rapunzel!” her mother called. “Let down your hair!”

Rapunzel quickly sprang right out of her trance rushing over to the window.

“Hang on, mother!” she yelled as she lowered down her hair.

“Oh, I have a big surprise!” Gothel called up as she grabbed onto Rapunzel’s hair.

“I do too!” Rapunzel called back pulling her mother up.

“I bet my surprise is better dear!” Gothel shouted as she was being pulled up.

“Uh, I highly doubt it.” Rapunzel whispered to herself without her mother hearing her.

“I brought back parsnips. I’m going to use it to make your favorite dinner tonight. Surprise!” Gothel said as she entered the tower through the window.

“That’s nice mother but I have something I want to tell you.” Rapunzel said pulling her hair up.

“Oh, dear.” Gothel sighed. “You know I hate leaving here after a fight, especially if I haven’t done anything wrong.”

“Ok, I was thinking of what you told me earlier today.” Rapunzel began.

“I still hope your not talking about seeing the lanterns.” Gothel warned her.

“Well, I was going to be leading to that, but I changed my mind.” Rapunzel stated.

“And what would that be?” Gothel questioned.

“Some new paint. Rapunzel said. “The paint from the white shells you gave me.”

“That’ll trip to get it Rapunzel.” Gothel stated. “About three days time.”

“I just thought it would have been a better idea instead of seeing the lanterns.” Rapunzel said followed by a sighed.

Gothel walked over to Rapunzel with a little smile on her face. “Are you sure you’ll be alright here on your own dear?” She asked.

“I know I’ll be safe as long as I’m here.” Rapunzel said as she hugged her mother.

“I’ll be back in three days dear.” Gothel said. “I love you very much, dear.”

“I love you two.” Rapunzel replied back.

“Oh, I love you more.” Her mother said just before she had disappeared.

Turning back to the closet, Rapunzel grabbed her frying pan and removed the chair from underneath the handle. Quasimodo fell flat out of the closet and onto his face.

Quasimodo felt a wet, sticky feeling in his ear and woke up in a cry of surprise. Looking around the room, he found himself tied up to a chair. He glanced down to see what was holding him to the chair.

“Is this hair?” Quasimodo questioned to himself.

“Struggling….Struggling is pointless!” Rapunzel called from the rafters avoiding being seen.

Rapunzel came down from the rafters going in front of him.

“I know why you’re here, and I’m not afraid of you.” Rapunzel said.

“What are you talking about?” Quasimodo questioned.

She stepped out into the light revealing herself to Quasimodo.

“Who are you? And how did you find me?” She asked.

Quasimodo didn’t answer her.

“I said who are you? And how did you find me?!” She asked again raising her frying pan.

“Oh! The name’s Quasimodo.” He replied.

“Quasimodo?” Rapunzel asked raising her eyebrow in a questioning way. “And who else knows my location, Quasimodo?”

“My master.” He replied back. “My master brought me here until the renovations at my bell tower were complete.”

“Very likely story there.” Rapunzel said. “I know you came here to take my hair.”

“Your hair?” Quasimodo asked.

“Yes, my hair.” Rapunzel answered.

“So, your not here to take my hair then? She asked.

Quasimodo shook his head. Then, Rapunzel turned to Pascal as he went over to her.

“What do you think?” she had asked. “He might be telling the truth. I mean, he doesn’t have fangs, what other choice do I possibly have?”

Pascal squeaked to agreement.

“I guess your master really wanted you to stay here.” She said.

“Yes, he did.” Quasimodo replied back. “So, what’s your name?”

“It’s Rapunzel.” She answered.

“Thanks!” Rapunzel said.

“I’ve stayed up in the bell tower in Paris’ cathedral for a long time.” Quasimodo said.

“Really?” Rapunzel asked. “For how long?”

“Most of my life basically.” Quasimodo shrugged.

“I’ve been in here for almost my entire life!” Rapunzel exclaimed. “Did you parents tell you too?”

“My master insists that I stayed up in the tower for my own protection. He told me that people would treat me curly due to how I look.” Quasimodo explained.

“By how you look?” She questioned.

“Yeah, by how I look? Can’t you see?” Quasimodo said.

“Well, you’re the first guy I’ve seen. I figured you would have been different, but I didn’t think you would be this different.” Rapunzel said.

“It turns out that my master was right.” Quasi continued sadly.

“Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that.” Rapunzel said with sympathy.

“Thanks.” Quasimodo replied.

“I need you to do something for me please.” Rapunzel said.

“What would that be?” Quasimodo wondered.

“Well, tomorrow night on my birthday, these lanterns will appear in the sky.” She explained to Quasimodo. “Do you know what they are?”

“No, I don’t.” Quasimodo replied.

“These are the lanterns that are released into the night sky during my birthday.” Rapunzel said. “It’s always been my dream to go to the kingdom of Corona and see them.”

“I don’t know.” Quasimodo replied. “My master wants me to stay up in your mother’s sanctuary without leaving.”

After Quasimodo said that, he thought back to what his master had told him.

“Safe behind these windows and those parapets of stone.” Quasimodo sang as he grabbed Rapunzel’s hand. “Gazing at the people down below.”

“All my life I watched them as I hid up there alone,” Quasimodo continued. “Hungry for the histories they show me.”

"All my life, I memorized their faces. Knowing them as they would never know me, Quasimodo sang as he went to open up the main window.

“All my life, I wondered how’d it feel to pass a day, not above them, but part of them!” Quasimodo continued to sing.

“And out there, living in the sun!” Rapunzel joined in with Quasimodo as she ran up next to him. “Give us one day out there, all we ask is one, to hold forever.” They were both singing looking out the window.

“Out there, where they all live unaware,” Quasimodo was singing as he gestured out to the forest. "What I give.”

“What I dare.” Rapunzel sang as she put her hand on Quasimodo’s back.

“Just to live one day out there!” They both sang.

“Out there among the millers and the weavers and their wives,” Quasimodo sung. “Through the roofs and gables I can see them.” “Every day they shout and scold and go about their lives, heedless of the gift it is to be them!”

“If we were in their skin, We’d treasure every instant out there!” Both Quasimodo and Rapunzel sang.

Strolling by the Seine." Quasimodo continued. "Taste the morning out there, like ordinary men.”

Quasimodo leapt onto the rafters and through the window to the roof of the tower. He pulled Rapunzel up there with him. She put her arm around Quasimodo.

“Just one day and then we’ll swear we’ll be content with our share.” They both sang.

“Won’t resent!” Quasimodo sang.

“Won’t despair!” Rapunzel sang.

“Old and bent, we won’t care!” They both sang together. “We’ll have spent one day out There……”

Rapunzel laughed as she let Quasimodo pull her back inside of the tower.

“Will do you it then?” Rapunzel asked.

Quasimodo smiled. “Yes, I will.”

“Thank you!” Rapunzel exclaimed as she hugged Quasimodo. He smiled as he hugged her back.

“Well, there’s no time to waste! Let’s go!”

Awwww! That was so cute and I like how they sing the song together. My only note is to watch your grammar and punctuation; there was a few spots where those were lacking. But other than that, it was great! :smiley:

Thanks! Alright, I’ll make sure I watch out for that.

Great chapter! At first I was worried you’d be going along exactly with what happened in the movie, but it seems once Quasi woke up you began to put your own twist on it. Can’t wait to see what happens next! :smiley:

Great job! I really enjoyed it and I don’t think it’s too long.

Thanks guys!

Snipe: I wanted to start off doing something similar to the movie to help me advance through the chapter. Once Quasi woke up, I decided to stay away from the movie as possible. There probably will be a couple more scenes from the movie though like the Snuggling Duckling scene.

The next chapter will be up after I get done a couple Cars one-shots.

Sorry for the long wait for Chapter 3. School has been slowing me down lately.

Quasimodo made his way down from the tower. He was excited about experiencing the outside world without Frollo for the first time. We went down from stone to stone before landing on the ground safely. He looked back up at the window, seeing Rapunzel standing there.

“You coming Rapunzel?!” Quasimodo shouted up.

Rapunzel stood up at the edge of the windowsill. She looked down at Quasimodo as he was waving to her encouragingly.

“Look at the world so close I’m halfway to it. Look at it all, do I even dare?” Rapunzel sang to herself quietly. “Should I? No, here I go.”

Pascal climbed onto her shoulder, trying to strand some of Rapunzel’s hair around his waist. He gave her a thumbs up to signal her that he was ready. Rapunzel tossed her hair out the window. It went down the side of the tower and stopped just above of the ground. She jumped out the window letting out a shout of pure joy. She slid down on her hair laughing the entire way down. When she reached the bottom, she prevented herself from letting her feet touch the ground. She lowered her feet down, touching the grass and dirt. She giggled like she had before.

“Just smell the grass, the dirt, just like I dreamed they’d be,” Rapunzel sang as she dropped her frying pan. She smiled over to Quasimodo as he grinned back.

“Just feel the summer breeze, the way it’s calling me.” Rapunzel continued as she went to a nearby stream putting her feet into it.

“For like the first time ever, I feel completely free!” She sang as she picked up some water and throwing it into the air.

“We can go running, and racing, and dancing, and chasing,” She continued to sing as she ran towards a cave with Quasimodo hot on her heels.

"and leaping, and bounding! Hair flying! Heart pounding! And splashing! And reeling!” Quasimodo started to sing as he grabbed Rapunzel‘s hand.

And finally feeling that’s when our lives begin!" They both sang.

“I can’t believe I did this!” Rapunzel exclaimed.

“Did what?” Quasimodo asked.

“Came out of the tower, silly!” Rapunzel responded, patting Quasimodo on the back.

“Oh.” Quasimodo chuckled. “I guess that’s pretty funny.”

“Mother would be so furious.” Rapunzel groaned.

“Come on Rapunzel. What mother doesn’t know won’t hurt.” Quasimodo encouraged, handing Rapunzel her frying pan.

“I guess so. I mean, what she doesn’t know won’t kill her.” Rapunzel said.

Later on, Rapunzel sat on a rock, sobbing into her hands.

Quasimodo approached her, looking at her as he was unsure what to do.

“Are you alright?” Quasimodo wondered.

“As much as I want to do this, I really don’t feel like letting my mother down.” Rapunzel explained.

“Are you afraid that she’ll punish you?” Quasimodo asked.

“No.” Rapunzel said confused. “I just don’t want to let her down.”

“It sounds like your mother is quite a protective parent to you. My master cares for me, as he‘s really the only one who does.”

“That’s terrible!” Rapunzel said in shock.

“It is.” Quasimodo said. “My master has always told me that people wouldn’t like me by how I look.”

“That’s horrible!” Rapunzel said. “Why do you call him master though?”

“He insists that I call him that. You see, he isn’t my real father.” Quasimodo explained.

“What happened to your real parents then?” Rapunzel asked.

“I don’t know about my father actually. My mother abandoned me at the cathedral when I was just a baby. He was the only one kind enough to accept me. He also told me that my mother abandoned me because I was ugly.” Quasimodo explained.

“I think me might be lying to you.” Rapunzel responded.

“Why do you think that?”

“Because no parent would abandon their child like that. My mother has her flaws, but I know that she loves me.” She can be a bit protective, but I know deep down that she loves me.” Rapunzel told him.

“But I know your parents loved you to. I don’t know why your master is lying to you, but I can just feel this inside of my heart. It’s just that no parent would ever give up their child so willingly.”

“Thanks Rapunzel.” Quasimodo said with a smile.

“Thank you Quasi for trying to confront me.” Rapunzel replied with a smile as well.

“Alright.” Quasimodo nodded. “Lets continue exploring. Maybe well find Corona sometime soon.”

Rapunzel agreed as they continued to look for Corona.

Meanwhile, Gothel continued on with her journey. She suddenly heard voices coming in a near distance and quickly hid behind a tree. She quickly saw two men which she thought were guards with one riding on a horse.

“Any sign of the hunchback anywhere Captain Phoebus?” Frollo asked.

“No where to be found.” Phoebus responded.

Gothel was listening to what the two men were saying. “That looks like a Coronan guard.” Gothel whispered to herself. She quickly gasped. “Rapunzel!”

She hurried back the way she came. Soon enough, she had reached the tower.

“Rapunzel, let down your hair!” She cried, but no response was given.

Getting no response, she rushed to a part of the base of the tower. She ripped a part of the ivy that had grown around the tower off, revealing a walled up doorway. She quickly pulled the stones out of the doorway and raced up the staircase revealed behind it. She knocked a stone out of the floor and made her way into the room.

“Rapunzel!” She cried again, looking at a dark room. She could not find her daughter.

Gothel exited the tower and returned to where she previously was. She still spotted the two guards and approached them.

“Wait!” Gothel cried out to the two men. “Please you have to help me!”

“What seems to be the problem mam?” Phoebus asked.

“I lost my daughter! Gothel exclaimed. “She’s gone and I can’t find her.”

“Where do you live mam?” Phoebus asked.

“In a small tower in the woods. Please, you got to help me!” Gothel pleaded.

“We don’t have time of this!” Frollo shouted. “Were too busy looking for my lad as he was supposed to be in some tower.”

“Some tower?” Gothel questioned. “You mean the one that’s over in the woods?”

“Yes.” Frollo responded. “Did you happen to see a hunchback in that very tower when you were there?”

“Not at all sir.” Gothel said.

“Sir," Phoebus said. “Perhaps the hunchback went into the tower and took off with her daughter.”

“Very well.” Frollo responded. “We shall take the women with us and get both the hunchback and her daughter.”

“Thank you!” Gothel cheered.

“Oh, don’t thank us just yet.” Frollo told her. “We have quite a journey on our hands and we can’t afford to have you slow us down.”

“Of course.” Gothel replied.

Frollo went off into the forest with Gothel, Phoebus and Achilles on his heals.

A/N: This chapter was just the start for things to come in this fan-fic as the first two chapters was just introducing us to the two main characters. I hope you guys enjoyed and I hope Chapter 4 doesn’t take as long!

I loved it! The action is starting to come in now. I think you did it great!

Thanks! You probably won’t see that much action take place in the next chapter.