Will the next 10 Pixar movies be better than the first 10?

Basically do you think Toy Story 3, Brave, Monsters inc 2, and the future 7 after that…overall could be better than the first 10?? i know it’s off to a great start with TS3

I will be verrryyyy difficult… Toy Story, Up, Wall E etc are just unbelievable… i know noone can predict into teh future but i can’t see how the quality of the first 10 can be topped :confused: (i’m looking at you Cars 2 :confused: )

Not better(that’s impossible. The Pixar films ARE my top ten favorite movies, so that’s impossible) but likely as good. Now, after John Lasseter dies, wer’e doomed like Disney was after Walt died. :cry: I can smell the sadness to come…

Well, John Lasseter is only in his 50’s or so, so I think we’ll have him for a bit longer. By then, maybe we’ll have a new awesome head of animation to lead the way. not to subtlety points so self

Just kidding. XD

Yeah, he’ll definitley last through the next 10(or 30), I’m just saying I don’t want Pixar to end up like Disney, with an Eisner-like figure. :frowning:

I don’t think we have to really worry about that, we still have geniuses like Stanton, Bird, and Docter.

I think some will be better than others, but I don’t think each and every film would be better than the previous ones.

But those(except for Docter) are John’s age. When the original Toy Story was being made, Stanton had a 16 year old daughter.

Eisner was, in fact, the best thing to happen to Disney…at least when he started out. The thing is, he wasn’t CEO right after Walt’s death, and the quality if Disney movies around that time was REALLY dropping (to the point that the animation department was close to shutting down). Eisner was the one that came in a brought on the Disney Renaissance…but of course, y’all know what happens later.

So, a new Eisner might be good, if he stays smart and not greedy.

Well, who knows? I’d like to think that the next ten films will be on average just as good, if not better than what Pixar has done so far, but yeah, it’s a complete guessing game. They’ve definitely started on a good point with Toy Story 3, though.

I don’t know how 10 other movies will ever replace the first 10 in my favorites! But with Pixar you never know.

I’m not sure how I feel about them going on the dreaded sequel route (although I am anticipating Monsters, Inc. 2, but that could change once I find out who’s directing it). Some of their upcoming features sound pretty interesting. Really though, where I think the deciding factor in Pixar faltering or soaring is the new line of directors. They’ll always have talented storyboard artists, animators, etc., but the directors for the first 10 films were all so magnificent!

Take Studio Ghibli, for example. They had Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, two major figures in animation, direct the majority of their films, and thus a handful were masterpieces. But then both directors started to age and knew they would have to seek out fresh talent to pass down the torch, and Kondo Yoshifumi showed fantastic promise with Whisper of the Heart (which could easily be mistaken for Miyazaki’s work) until he sadly died of a brain aneurysm. So then Miyazaki continued directing, possibly with a hint of reluctance, and two new directors stepped in: Horiyuki Morita with 2002’s The Cat Returns (I think it’s underrated but it’s not usually ranked as one of their strongest features) and Miyazaki’s own son, Goro. The latter, as some of you may know, directed Tales from Earthsea, which is without a doubt the worst received Ghibli film of them all.

So really, I think what Pixar needs to focus on–and I’m sure they’ve done plenty of that already–is finding new directors. With Bird and Stanton going off to direct live-action films, and I have no idea if they’ll be coming back to Pixar to sit in the director’s seat once again, it worries me. I love the idea of them working with another medium, but I want to see great Pixar films, too! My guess is that John Lasseter is done with directing feature films, but his new work is pretty important, so I’ll allow it. And what the HECK is Pete Docter up to? Nine years passed between the two films he directed for Pixar. =( I wonder if he’ll be directing Monsters, Inc. 2 (!!!).

Man, this has been a loooong post. I’m not trying to be a Negative Nancy so much as I am having a critical eye, but what’s with some of their new (reputed, that is) director choices? Cars, while a pretty good flick, is my least favorite Pixar film of them all, and its sequel is being directed by a producer with apparently no experience aside from a short featurette on the Ratatouille DVD (which didn’t have much of a story, so I have trouble applying the style to a full-length feature). If he’s the next great director at Pixar, then awesome! But I can’t help but be doubtful, you know? Also, I hear that Lasseter is now co-director of that film. Interesting, verrrry interesting.

There are just a handful of things that may determine Pixar’s future reputation and almost spotless resume: their first fairy tale (and female-fronted, too!), two more sequels, new directors, and a rigorous release schedule. I was very intrigued by the story for Newt, so I’d like to see that come back if it will be of Pixar quality. Oh, one more thing. Bob Peterson already has a crucial role at Pixar in the story department, but I’d be thrilled to see him direct one of their films.

Aaaaand done.

I don’t believe a single film from the new 10 can beat the best from the old 10 (being Wall-E), but I do believe that the new 10 films will be consistently better, if Cars 2 is better than the original.

Well, since John got promoted, he has spent less time at Pixar. His influence is still heavy there (obviously) but I do think that the studio has gotten along really well in his time of lesser involvement. So, even after he dies, I think Pixar will still be doing really well.

However, i think it’ll be really tough for the next ten pixar films to top the first ten. I’m not sure it can be done.

It would be extremely difficult, but I sure hope so! In fact, I almost expect it. After all, Pixar is all about progression! It definitely wouldn’t be a good sign if their next 10 weren’t good as their first 10, because that would mean they would be going downhill! Scary thought.

Yikes! I don’t want to think about poor John dying anytime soon. I know Walt wasn’t terribly old when he left, but John… no, come on! That makes me so sad. I’m not even going to be thinking about that for a few more decades.

But I agree that Pixar has done well without him being there as often.

Have you guys ever considered what Pixar’s library of films will look like decades from now? I’m so thrilled to have a mere eleven feature-length films from them, and that’s just in 15 petty years. Disney is the king of animation in many ways, but they’ve also been around the longest… Imagine Pixar after they’ve been a productive studio for half a century, for instance!

I believe Pete Docter was handling the english dub of Howl’s Moving Castle (I think), so that’s what took him so long with Up.

And with Cars 2, I’m equally worried, for the reasons you stated and the fact that Larry the cable guy has alluded to it being in the same vein as the Mater shorts, which I can’t see as a great feature film.

Don’t forget Unkrich!!!

I don’t know how they’ll top Toy Story 3, though. But Pixar will continue to have long-lived success. I don’t see it ending anywhere soon. Only with newt did I see a breaking point.

I hadn’t seen TS3 yet at the time, but now that I’ve seen it, he’s on the list of geniuses too. :slight_smile:

Not really sure what you mean by “better”. I mean, that really subjective because some people really liked Cars while others thought that the first Toy Story was the best film. I can’t actually think of how any of their films can be considered superior to another, because that would mean the other film was somehow more inferior. All PIXAR’s films are perfect.

Now if you are going by ratings solely, then I’d have have to say that they’d probably stay the same. The Pixar Method is so infused within every single person in that building that I don’t see how it could possibly deviate any less than amazing.