Secrecy

I’m always a bit disappointed about how hard it is to retain secrecy around a very anticipated upcoming movie. I know that’s good for us Piaxr fans in most cases, :smiley: but it can spoil a good film. Now I’m not whining about the spread of the info, but the filmmakers themselves. It’s as if they don’t want the movie to be a surprise.
However, Pixar has done a good job with this problem. We hardly know ANYTHING about their upcoming films. But as this bubble of secrecy weakens, will they be able to retain it? What do you think?

I dunno. I’m kinda mad that the one guy let the [spoil]“Monsters”[/spoil] sequel slip, I mean, where’s the fun in waiting anymore?!

Spoilers spoil the fun of non-spoiling moments toward an anti-spoiler reader and writer behind the spoiler-ish character of spoiler.

Nice. That actually makes sense.

lol…suddenly those words popped out in my head.

Well they’ve been doing a good job of keeping things secret so far. But I’m sure part of that has to do with the fact that for some of these movies there isnt much to know yet. Although I will say I knew almost nothing about UP and not that much about WALL-E either, before they came out.

Yes, they’ve certainly kept a tight hold on the PR until they are redady to say anything with substance about it. That’s very old school, but it’s a policy that pays big dividends, I think: It heightens real anticipation, rather than ‘false’ anticipation based on rumors and useless Internet buzz.

But when people know that your products are good, you can do that.

I hope they continue to be frugal with details. The trailers are also well done because they reveal very little. Toy Story 3 is the exception, it’s pretty clear what the basic scenario is. However, that’s also what they WANT us to know. Hehehe

It’a not really the filmmakers fault. It’s Disney’s for making so many trailers for their films that they give like, a quarter of the footage away. >|

The real problem is the merchandise…that’s where a majority of spoilers come from, and it’s all usually released before the movie comes out. I still think they should’ve kept Muntz out of the Up trailers, though.

soue1313: I’m sorry your mad at me, but I knew if I didn’t say it, someone else would have. :stuck_out_tongue:
(And, besides, it’s been said that Pete isn’t actually working on a Monsters 2 right now anyways. XP )

I would agree though that Pixar is very good at keeping things in house. Companies like Sega, on the other hand, are horrible at keeping their mouths zipped. Like, the time when that pic of the Warehog was leaked? Or the info about putting Dreamcast games on PS3? Or, maybe finding out about that Sonic Classic Collection? Compared to Pixar, Sega is amateur. XD

I agree that Pixar are very good at keeping a certain level of secrecy, though if you’re an individual who really does not like knowing much about a new Pixar film before seeing it, (like myself), you can avoid all spoilers if you want to. I guess it’s personal preference, and with Pixar trying to keep a tight hold of all information about their upcoming films, if you’re someone with an inclination to finding out as much stuff as possible, it can be quite fun deciphering it all.

I like the secrecy, knowing spoils can ruin a film for me, I knew nothing about every Pixar film before I saw them, the only thing I would see is a trailer prior.

In a way I think the internet is what ruined the secrecy of filmmaking, because fans like us now get spoiled with information and rumors getting out.

Flik-E is right on the money with this one. This is exactly why information (or MIS-information oftentimes) leaks and spreads like wildfire. When you have fans avidly awaiting news of any sort, the internet is the fuel that spreads it like nothing else in history.

I’m a fan, but I appreciate the element of surprise. There’s something fun about treasure hunting the clues of new films, but in the end, I love the surprise more. So I don’t hunt so much. I’d rather discuss the film afterward with other fans instead.