The Axiom's Food Supply

I’m just wondering…where does the Axiom get it’s food? I mean really? Anybody have any theories?

I say it could be a Soylent Green scenario with members on the Axiom “vanishing”.

I always thought it was a sort of recycled thing, like absolutely everything gets recycled and re-used and hence the Axiom doesn’t need any more food aside from the food already on it when it took off.

You mean fecal matter is turned back into food?

As far as I know, that is not scientifically possible. That’s why it’s called “waste”.

Well, it may not be scientifically possible now, but this film is set in the future…:laughing: Then again, if they could do that I’m guessing that’s what they’d have done back on Earth, so maybe not.

In that case, I’m not quite sure. They must’ve got food from somewhere…Perhaps they somehow can grow food on the Axiom?

Maybe soilless technology like hydro/aeroponics? They’ve probably got a terrarium somewhere… Perhaps all the foods are made from soy and they just have a huge chemistry lab where they make all the flavour enhancers? 8D

Soylent Green… “You’ve gotta tell them! Soylent Green is made out of…” :smiley: Gotta watch that movie, love dystopian futures.

That’s what I’ve always thought. Or they have some sort of fake food that’s got different flavors so it’s like food.

Yes, maybe it’s a Soylent Green kind of stuff. [spoil]They have to dispose of the dead fat-men in some way 8D[/spoil]

I remember Captain McCrea mentioning something about the Axiom having a “regenerative food buffet,” although the details about it and how it works are never mentioned. Maybe it’s some sort of undiscovered technology that we can’t even fathom in present times. The idea of there being a generic single medium of food that artificial flavors are added to does seem plausible. After all, we never even get to see any Axiom food, because it’s all in cups.

The Soylent Green idea really freaks me out, haha!

One day, John vanishes. Mary is worried. She takes a sip from her Cupcake in a Cup, not knowing the horrors that lie within it. :smiley:

I’ve never even seen Soylent Green. There have just been so many parodies that I know the major plot details and have no need to see it. Same thing with Star Wars. And Wizard of Oz. And Harry Potter.

The Axiom was parked right next to a cloud or nebulosity, perhaps at the edge of the solar system or somewhere beyond, where hyperdrive could return it to earth in a jiffy.

My 4 theories of why it was parked there. 1) Nice view. 2) Easy to locate by other ships. 3) Nice place to hide (from gelatinous Stantonarians no doubt). 4) Minerals and amino acids and other primitive biomolecules (found on comets too) floating about that could be sucked into the Regenerative Food Buffet. … Or perhaps all of the above.

I’m poo-poo’ing any recycling theory. The giant garbage scowl and all the consumerism aboard the Axiom were meant to show that people hadn’t changed much in 700 years, or 800 years depending on when you start counting. I didn’t see alot of cups and uneaten food down there with the Wall-A’s. The garbage seen there was meant to look kind of generically harsh and metallic.

Hmm…this is a good topic. After all, the Captain did mention a regenerative food buffet. I agree with that point. Maybe it’s a technology that we haven’t discovered yet.

What’s Soylent Green?

A science fiction movie starring Charlton Heston.

Thanks!! I’ll have to check that out. I really like him in Omega Man and Ten Commandments.

The very first time I saw WALL•E and heard the words “regenerative food buffet” I assumed that somehow the “food-in-cups” were made based on Flint Lockwood’s theory in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, with food being made from water or even rocks, perhaps, over and over again by itself (if that makes sense…). It would probably be impossible in reality, but hey, it’s fiction! :laughing:

Science fiction needs to have basis in current science and/or philosophy.

Even the idea of WALL-E slowly becoming more and more sentinent is ground in reality.

Eve: I like the “Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs” theory. Why didn’t I think of that before?!

As an agriculture student, and to be agriculture science major I have in the past researched about agriculture in space.

The cultivating of crops in space is called astroculture, and it’s something that NASA has been researching. And something that must be mastered before we send men on long trips into space or explorations on planets such as Mars.

My theory is that BnL managed to perfect astroculture by making greenhouses make the right conditions for plant growth. Humans create carbon dioxide which is “breathed” in by plants. So there is ample carbon dioxide on the axiom that is somehow harvested in futuristicly way to greenhouses or something. I’m getting bored writing this is.

Point is. If BnL found a way to have humanlife survive in space for 100s of years, they found a way for more simplistic crop plants to be cultivated. And of course there are robots made to do all fo this. And turn it into liquid.

They call it the “regenerative food buffet”, so what I’m guessing is that it really isn’t food kind of food. It is probably some sorts of chemical that tastes like a cheeseburger that they can pour into a cup. They probably just have chambers that have the equipment to recreate it over and over again.

Maybe?

Konrad: That’s what I think too.