Operation: Cleanup was FLAWED!!!

For those of you that have the three-disc DVD and/or Blu-ray copies of the movie… you heard me right! Operation Cleanup was flawed! :open_mouth:

According to one of the BnL shorts, they discussed the plan of Operation: Cleanup. What it was is that during the five years that the poeple would be vacationing in space, the WALL•E droids would cube all the trash and stack them into towers. After all the trash was stacked, then cranes would incinerate the garbage with fire. Yes, that’s right…INCINERATE IT! That was BnL’s flaw, for burning massives piles of trash into an already polluted atmosphere only made it worse and somewhat irreversible for seven centuries.

I tried to look for the video on YouTube, but it looks like they don’t have it. Maybe I’ll look for it another time.

If this topic has already been discussed, plase find the original thread and lock this one up.

Well, yes, Operation Cleanup and BnL’s whole plan in general was flawed and, well, idiotic. I think that’s part of the point. They rushed this and pushed humanity out into space. They hadn’t really learned anything by the time the Axiom/Starliner/Cleanup plan was put into effect, they were just trying to cover their butts, as it were. Just another of their failings and another sad comment on society and how businesses are more inclined to put into action plans that make them look good even if they aren’t actually helping anything.

Interesting topic, JSWC, but I do believe this has been discussed in the WALL•E Observations thread at one point. There are quite a few pages to go through and a lot of meaty stuff, but it’s a good read and the members bring up a lot of good topics. Great discussion. I really wish we had more of that, since WALL•E really is quite an in-depth movie.

I think I remember seeing this on the DVD, and like wallefanatic mentioned, I think the operation was indeed flawed on purpose not only as a story element but also because BnL just didn’t have their act together in general. They were aware of the crisis and took matters into their own hands too quickly, without thinking things through all that well. They were essentially trying to pacify everyone and make them believe that things were okay, when in reality the world was pretty much coming apart at the seams. The fact that BnL took over all aspects of industry in general was the first red flag. They were assuming too much too soon. As a result, everything under their hand was pushed through too quickly without much forethought and as a result, the entire economy caved in.

I’m not sure if the thread should be locked up or not, but yeah, I believe this has been discussed before; particularly in that thread. (I could be wrong since I didn’t have a chance to really dig through and find this specific topic in there. :stuck_out_tongue:)

little chef

Wow, talk about poor waste management… thanks for sharing that trivia with us, JSWC… didn’t know that before… :slight_smile:

Hooray for three replies!

wallefanatic: Hmm, I never thought of it that way before… :confused:

little_chef: It is quite an interesting topic. And I do agree; it makes BnL sound really lazy! Also, I browsed through the thread, but I didn’t really see anything about that. Maybe a few DVD discussions, but not really the BnL shorts.

TDIT: I know. Doesn’t it just shock you? :open_mouth:

Well, I always felt the plan was flawed anyway, but I recall reading somewhere that [spoil]there was a part of the incinerator machines that blew the smoke out of the atmosphere.

So yeah, that’s one of the things BnL actually did think through IIRC.[/spoil]

Yep, they did not think that one through. I forgot about the whole part where they [spoil]burned the trash[/spoil]. But, I suppose, if the plan had worked, WALL-E probably would have been de-activated or something, at least till he was needed again, and probably would never have met EVE.