WALL•E: Similarities with Star Wars?

I don’t know if any of you have ever noticed this, but in WALL•E, there are a ton of similarities to Star Wars (other than spaceships, hologram and repulsolift technology, and hyperdrive). If you don’t believe me, here’s a whole list of them:

WALL•E gets his opportunity at adventure when a spacecraft lands on his world, and an angelic-like character arrives with it. In The Phantom Menace, Anakin gets his chance at adventure when the Royal Starship lands on his world (which is seemingly lifeless), and he meets Padmé (whom he calls and angel). In A New Hope, an escape pod crash-lands on Luke’s world, and he gets a holo-message from Princess Leia (whom Luke describes as beautiful before he found out that was his sister in Episode 6).

The Weird Al song “The Saga Begins”, mentions that Anakin was a junkyard slave. So was WALL•E!

When WALL•E speaks to EVE for the first time, it is almost like when Anakin first met Padmé (without the explosion), and asked her “Are you an angel?”. Try imagining those words coming out of WALL•E!

Also, Anakin shows Padmé around his junk-laden room, just like WALL•E shows EVE his collection of stuff…

In the words of Padmé (to Anakin): “You’re a funny little boy…” (You’re probably wondering which characters I’m imagining exchanging that dialogue)

In Attack of the Clones, Padmé wears a white jumpsuit and carries a blaster. In the original trilogy, Leia wears a white dress and also carries a blaster. EVE is all white and carries a blaster. Hmm…

When WALL•E is approaching the Axiom, it is almost like when the Millennium Falcon was approaching the Death Star.

If you think about it, the Axiom could be thought of as being the Death Star on the outside, and Coruscant on the inside! =D

WALL•E and EVE’s romantic space antics are kind of reminiscent of when Anakin and Padmé shared a picnic on Naboo, and then they rolled around playfully in the grass.

The garbage bay scene with WALL•E, EVE, and M-O is similar to when Luke, Leia, and Han fall into the garbage bay and struggle to get out.

“The garbage masher! What a wonderful idea! What an incredible smell you’ve discovered!” ―Han Solo, in A New Hope

Here’s where it gets really crazy. I find the holo-detector incident to be similar to the Rebel attack launched on the Death Star. Just like Luke was to shoot two torpedoes into the thermal exhaust port, EVE was to launch the plant into the holo-detector, which impacted on the surface the first time. You could probably imagine the Captain telling Probe One over the intercom, “You’ve turned off your targeting computer. Is something wrong?” Also, try and use the “Battle of Yavin” track on the soundtrack and see if the finale matches when EVE looks for the plant to put in it the holo-detector.

The ending scene where WALL•E and EVE giggle when they realize they’re holding hands is similar to the wedding scene at the end of Episode 2.

That’s all I’ve got. Tell me if you’ve got any more!

I think I have to agree with you JustSoWall-eCrazy. I noticed some of the similarities too! Okay, I noticed one: The garbage bay scene. Nice theory JustSoWall-eCrazy!

I read a few of your comparisons, and I must admit, they’re pretty uncanny! You must be a massive SW and Wall-E fan to notice these! :slight_smile:

And welcome to the forums, JustSoWall-eCrazy. I think you’ll find a lot of like-minded fans (including Yours Truly).

Wow. Obviously you’ve thought a lot more about this than I have :slight_smile: There were similarities I think with a few different sci-fi films. (2001 is what sticks out most in my mind)

Hmm, very interesting topic. Some of the comparisons are really funny, like the Weird Al reference made me laugh. I can’t think of any comparisons since I’m not a big Star Wars fan, but it’s still a great list there, JustSoWall-eCrazy. And welcome to the boards!

Whoa, when you told me you joined to post your opinions, you weren’t kidding! Haha, your post was really interesting, and gave me a lot to think about, I actually had to give it a few reads, too, to fully get it all in.

I think you covered pretty much all the bases on similarities, although it’s my opinion that M-O and Obi-Wan are similar in that they always have to have things a certain way, and they’re both kind of orderly and stuff. Maybe that’s why M-O is my favourite character? Heehee.

DrivingMishCrazy: I’m glad you got to read my post. I was kind of a big Star Wars fan before I got into WALL•E, and it just seems that a lot of the stuff I remembered from the movies matched many aspects of WALL•E the more I watched it.

By the way, I’ve also compared M-O to being like Obi-Wan! :smiley: I’ve even found this WALL•E/Revenge of the Sith trailer mashup that portrays the little cleaner bot as that famous Jedi:

[url]- YouTube

I also noticed one tiny section of music when Wall-E is wandering the city has some of the same instruments and phrasing as some music when R2-D2 is wandering in the desert.

Wow, I didn’t notice that, but, then again, I’m not a Star Wars fan (although the series is great). Great observation JustSoWall-eCrazy!

Wow, I didn’t notice that! Thanks for pointing that out.

Phileas: Like I told DrivingMishCrazy, I was actually a big Star Wars fan before I got into WALL•E. This is what explains the comparisons.

If you’d like to, you could check out my fanfiction, Star Vacation which is actually a WALL•E parody. In it, there are several references to Star Wars.