Andrew Stanton's Views on a WALL-E Sequel

Interviewer: Okay, sure. Could there ever be a WALL-E sequel now that humanity has been touched with…

Andrew Stanton: Oh, I’m sure. Sadly there can always be a sequel. It just depends on whether it should be a sequel, and you know, personally I don’t think I’ll be involved in any sequel soon just because I’m, you know, you spend four years on these things and you’re ready to move on. I’m done with fish, and now I’m done with robots and I love these characters. You try to make them so endearing that you won’t mind seeing them again, but there isn’t anything in the works right now like it wasn’t pre-planned to have a sequel, no.

Here’s another:

Interviewer: So, are we going to get to see more stories come out of WALL-E?

Andrew Stanton: Maybe. You never know. I mean, it takes four years to make these movies. It’s like going to high school. So, it’s like, you kind of done, you’re ready for graduation after four years. So, for me personally, I got to do something else for a while.

So, I don’t think there will be a WALL-E 2.

The interviewer kind of asked the same question twice. :confused:

No, they were two different interviews.

oh, than nevermind. :blush:

If he gets a good enough idea, maybe someday, but honestly? I ONLY want it t happen if he wants to and is on board. I saw those behind the scenes featurettes with Mr. Stanton ad he was so incredibly passionate about his work that I can’t imagine what the film would be like if he wasn’t.

If he does, someday, decide to do one though, I am SO first in line. XD

Yeah me too, but I doubt there will ever be one.

Same. We never know for sure, but chances are slim.

If Stanton doesn’t want to work on a sequel, that’s fine. But I want a sequel to that movie more than any other Pixar film. In my eyes, a well conceived WALL-E sequel would be better than a Cars 2.

WALL-E is not only my favorite Pixar film, but my favorite film ever, and as much as I adore the universe of WALL-E, from setting to characters, I don’t want to see a sequel. All that’s worth saying has been said. Anything more would be like adding ketchup to some kind of gourmet dish–it would kill the flavor of the original.

Good to here you liked the film so much, and welcome to Pixar Planet! :smiley:

Thank you.

As far as the sequel is concerned, I think that there would really be only room for a prequel, as either humanity fixes its errors while WALL-E and EVE [spoil]live happily ever after (as suggested in the credits), or everyone reverts to their old ways, which would make for a repetitious movie.[/spoil] The only other option would be a child, which obviously isn’t possible, and would be a bit weak if it was forced to happen (not to mention then you’d have the rebellious child plot, like Lady and the Tramp 2, Little Mermaid 2, etc. have suffered from).

It seems to me like Andrew S. is the Sherlock Holmes of Pixar; he completes his job with unequivocal perfection and efficiency, but after it is done, he never looks back.

Edited for spoilers. – Mitch

One possibility for a sequel is a 13 episode TV show, where they go looking for the other arks. I doubt that the Axiom was the only one. ( It’s not a very good idea, but there you go. )

Maybe they could do a comedy-adventure series. I can see the bots and humans going out on adventures.

Let’s face it, Buena Vista Television Animation needs something to put on the Disney Channel and Toon Disney to replace Kim Possible and other shows nearing their ends.

Personally, I thought that those Buzz Lightyear cartoons were an insult to Toy Story. I’d hate to see WALL-E cheesed out like that.

Though your idea of searching for the other luxury liners is an idea I hadn’t thought of. Though it may work, I assume that the show would be cartoon, done by Disney and not by Pixar, which means it would suck.

Well, I am hoping there won’t be a sequel to WALL-E. THe film stand well on its own. I see no need for one.

Hey Cybearg, you may wanna use some spoiler warnings. ^^;

I’m torn. I know the film is complete and stands best alone but… I love my WALL-E and more would make me giddy.

I haven’t seen WALL-E yet, but as I know the basic premise, and how well-reviewed it has been, I can see how a sequel could do well. But personally, I’m never keen on the idea of Pixar sequels and especially in the case of such a unique film as WALL-E, a sequel could ruin the magic of the first.

You don’t need to extend the story to love WALL-E…or any story.

But you never know. Andrew Stanton could come up with an even better premise than the original, and make a sequel. I doubt it will happen though.

I’m of the persuasion to leave well-enough alone.

Besides, there’s plenty of fanfiction ready to be churned out…except for me. Can’t stand to write it, and usually can’t stand to read it.

Looks like I’m in the minority, as usual.