Wall-E Observations...

How about making this a thread where you post small observations about the movie that don’t fall into any of the other catagories?

Here’s one I found: (only very minor spolier)

In the scene where Eve and Wall-E first meet up close, [spoil]and Eve attempts to find out who and what Wall-E is, she starts off by saying a couple of words right before saying “directive?” in English. One of the words she says is “meirei?” – which is Japanese for “directive” – so I assume the other words are just “directive” in different languages?[/spoil] If anyone can understand any of these words, and what languages they might be, please feel free to post here!

Here’s another EVE observation:

[spoil]
She seems very rigid when she comes out of the ship and activates. However, once the ship leaves, she gets up and flies around. I felt this was a sign that she had strayed a bit from her program ‘directive.’ Aka she’s like a little kid who does things when Mom or Dad isn’t looking.

Of course, I liked her little ‘temper tantrum.’ She’s searching for plant-life, but everywhere she goes, nothing. And then, she gets caught in the magnet of the ship. I loved that it seemed that was the last straw, and she just takes her aggression out on the thing.

Or when the steward bot takes a picture of her looking dangerous. Her ‘Wall-E’ vocals seemed like her saying ‘Wall-E, you got me in trouble!’
[/spoil]

Not really a movie observation…but

I just saw this on another board talking about Wall-E and I just had to post it here. I laughed a little after I saw this, but it’s true… XD

Everyone was talking about how the Mac tone plays after Wall-E charges and this poster added:

“Well that explains why Wall-E is still operational. The other robots were running Vista.”

The Mac noise got a big laugh at my theater. XD

[spoil] One thing I noticed on my second viewing was that the Captain referred to EVE as “she/ her” from the beginning, as opposed to “it/ the probe” like you would expect. I think it may of been to show that he had a greater conscious sense of empathy then the average gel person.

I also noticed EVE’s little “…Are they gone? Sweet! Flyin’ time!” moment. That was so cute. XD [spoil][/spoil]

The best and most surprising joke that gave me the biggest laugh: [spoil]SPORKS![/spoil]

The second biggest laugh: [spoil]Pizza![/spoil]

Also, I love [spoil]the kids’ classroom in the Axiom. “A is for Axiom, B is for BuyNLarge, your best friend!.”[/spoil]

The cinematography is amazing, especially [spoil]in the opening scenes of WALL-E preparing for yet another day of work.[/spoil]

The [spoil]Define Dancing scene is pretty magical, especially since the trailers were edited to make it look like that scene was a violent chase scene.[/spoil]

The moment when [spoil]Captain realizes he’s been doing the same thing for dozens of years, and Auto isn’t in charge anymore. I wish I had a more auditory memory and memorized that line he says when humans should care about living, not just surviving. Basically that’s my entire life’s #1 philosophy.[/spoil]

WALL-E’s character animation. [spoil]Every single bit of it is so expressive. He has so much character. I didn’t really realize that until the end when he goes back to his programming mode. Now that’s powerful stuff.[/spoil]

Much more later. It’s all about the details!

I love the almost double-meaning [spoil]one can hear in the lyrics for the last song at the very end of the movie: “And that is all… (big pause) …that love’s about…”

But with that big pause in the middle, the first time I heard it, I thought it was the end of the sentence: “And that is all.” (ie, “the movie’s over”). But then it goes on: “…that love’s about.” Not only does it talk about love, but the first time you hear it, it’s telling you “that’s all”, it’s the end of the movie. [/spoil] :smiley:

joehisa: AHA! So this proves my theory that [spoil]EVE is Japanese[/spoil]! :laughing: Ok, amybe not, but it’s a strat, no?
uruseiranma: YES! I totally loved that [spoil]magnet thing. I was like: “WALL•E, save her!” And then noticed that she could just explode that magnet of she wanted to, and right after that thought, she did. :astonished: KABOOM![/spoil] 8D And then the [spoil]anger. Oh, the anger. AWESOME EVE![/spoil] :smiley:
Remy14: XDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!
TheIncredible: [spoil]The spork bit was one of my favorite parts EVER.[/spoil] :laugh:

Did anyone else think WALL•E would make [spoil]a great dancer? I mean, after the headphones and garbage lid, he looks perfect for an ABC reality show.[/spoil] :smiley:

A113: I think with a little practice, and a great choreographer, I think he can be a semi-graceful dancer.

A113: There was another review I read somewhere where the writer also thought Eve had a Japanese look to it. Of course I think she was just going through various languages one by one hoping that this strange robot (Wall-E) might understand one of them… but it was interesting to hear her say “meirei?” before she asks it (“[spoil]directive?[/spoil]”) in English. Again, if anyone reading this can understand what other languages she says first before switching to English (she says it in what sounds like a few differnet languages before switching to English) I’d love to know what they were… :slight_smile:

Just a comment but… I guess Eve’s solar cels are hidden? Wonder where she gets her power…

[spoil]There was a similar feeling at the beginning of the film when Put On Your Sunday clothes was playing. The very last line is “And we won’t come until we’ve kissed a girl!” and that’s precisely what happens at the very end. EVE’s ‘kiss’ brings Wall-E back home.[/spoil]

Haha, hadn’t thought of that one Fett.

BTW, anybody get the joke in [spoil]GO-4’s name besides me? In the film industry, a gopher is the person who gets the coffee, delivers unimportant stuff, and in general does the non-janitorial grunt work. XD [/spoil]

When EVE looks for vegetation, she looks in the hood of the [spoil]Pizza Planet truck" [/spoil], a port-o-potty, and something that looked like the escape pod from the Incredibles…was it? I don’t own the Incredibles, but when Mr. Incredible gets launched in that thing onto the island, does it look like it? Take a look.

That’s strange. I thought that Eve had some resemblance to the creations of our friends over at Cupertino (Apple computers).

Did anyone notice that they [spoil]not only used the Mac startup tone, but they also used several computer voices (some of them barely modified) from older Mac systems? I recognized several voices that I first heardon my old '93 Performa desktop.

Also, I liked the tie-in of BURN-E. The short that comes out with the DVD, entitled BURN-E, is about that robot that’s out in space welding during the space walk scene with EVE and WALL-E, and is left locked outside when the couple flies back into Axiom and closes the door behind them.[/spoil]

Yeah, I think Steve Job’s is having Pixar throw in some advertisements for Apple.

Well, Steve Jobs was a big investor in Pixar, after all. Why not bring in some extra profits? :wink:

Nah, Andrew Stanton and J.L. are self-proclaimed Apple devotees. You know how Mac people are. I didn’t even know that was the Mac boot-up sound! I was kind of wondering why their was this adult laughter going on in the theater. 8D
It would’ve been like hearing the 4-note PC song: D B G A!

[spoil]The ship exploding thing! – she acts like a death ray in the first act. Did you notice how when they exchanged “directives”, WALL-E gets a tad too familiar and she instantly raises her gun, as if saying “Wait. I don’t know you.” She even gets defensive when he gives his garage rack a spin. I love the lifelike reflexes.[/spoil]

I burst out laughing (but I couldn’t hear anyone else) when [spoil]as Eve goes through her mundane routine back at the Axiom and they take off her arm, the plug they put on her “armpit” makes her ticklish! For a second I could not suspend my disbelief. That was a pure gag! ^_^[/spoil]

~Sarah

[spoil]I also loved the little detail of EVE’s reflexes and such. :smiley:

I actually didn’t realize this while watching the movie itself, but while reading a review: There has got to be a very sad story behind why what appears to be a brand new engagement ring was thrown away over 700 years ago. =(
[/spoil]

I hadn’t thought of that Busterella. That’s quite possible.

[spoil]
When EVE accidentally pulls out some of the ‘Hello, Dolly’ tape, Wall-E uses a Foozeball player to wind the tape back into place.
[/spoil]