Introduce gender indication option in Profile?

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Here’s my first suggestion to improve the site… why not offer a gender option in the Profile section?

It gets mighty confusing to remember all the genders of the various forum members (some might get offended if they’ve already told you their gender), not to mention it gets tiring being all PC typing “his/her”, “she/he/it”…
If you ask me, I’d have it compulsory since I’m sure none of us here are chauvinistic or sexist…

Then again, it doesn’t have to be if some members are shy, just an optional radio button that people can select if they want to indicate whether they’re male/female.

That way, I wouldn’t accidentally refer to a girl as a guy (or Heaven forbid, vice-versa :laughing:)

Otherwise, I can set up a “Gender” thread like Wall-E Forum where those who want to reveal can post.

I think this is a great idea TDIT! I have made that mistake way too many times :blush:

Ditto, that’s a great idea thedriveintheatre! I definitely agree with this.

I definitely agree. I’ve also made the mistake of gender confusion on the forums. :confused:

After talking to people here, it’s pretty easy for me to build up a profile of who’s who, but I agree, it can get confusing at times. I think everyone knows my gender. :wink: But for those people with unisex usernames it can get a bit hard to tell, so this is a cool idea. I don’t think it should be compulsory because people may want to option of being anonymous here to protect their identity. I’m not sure if it’ll happen any time in the near future, though, 'cause as far as I know we’re short a coder for this site, but it would be nice to have that feature eventually. :slight_smile:

Sure why not? That would probably be a good idea. I’ll admit I’ve sometimes been confused as to what gender certain members are, and it was only a matter of time before I would get myself into an awkward moment.

I Say DO IT!!

Here is my opinion on the gender identification idea. I think it is a cool idea, but rachel does bring up a point. There are the issues that deal with members’ privacy. In a member wishes to reveal his or her gender to the forums, he or she shall do so, either in a post or in their profile.

Maybe an option where you don’t have to show your gender at all might help? On other boards I’ve been on, you can just tick a box or something to say that you don’t want to disclose that information, and then it doesn’t come up on your profile.

Nice idea, thedriveintheatre!

I’m all for it, but I also agree with several other members here in that the option to keep one’s gender private should probably be available as well.

– Mitch

Great! :smiley: So far all votes except for one are in favour of the new profile option. And as I mentioned in my first post, it doesn’t have to be compulsory, which is why I call it an option in my title. :wink:
Have any of the admins read this thread yet? I’m not quite sure who to PM to regarding this matter, or whether I should just sit tight and wait for a response… :confused:

thedriveintheatre - I would sit tight for another day or two so as to give bawpcwpn a chance to peruse this thread. However, if you’re really anxious to present your idea to higher authority personnel, or if none of the administrators attend to this topic of discussion after a couple of days, then I would suggest that you send a private message to bawpcwpn with details of your proposition.

I hope I was able to be of some assistance to you. :smiley:

– Mitch

Thanks for the tip, Mitch. I’ll wait until the end of next week before contacting bawpcwpn. :slight_smile:

thedriveintheatre - No problem. Hopefully, he’ll get back to you soon. :slight_smile:

– Mitch

I’m not an admin, but I am aware of the idea obviously, and it is a good idea. You’d have to wait till you receive a response from bawpcwpn, or until you contact him yourself. But I have a feeling this’ll be thrown in the ‘really-cool-add-ons-we’d-love-to-have-pile’ but it may not get done for a while because we don’t have a coder for Pixar Planet at the moment.

Aw, rats. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, I accidentally said “no”, and I meant “yes”.
I haven’t been on Pixar Planet all too long, but I think I know the gender of most of you. However, it took me a little while to figure out, and I think it would help new members too, as long as we put an option to not choose one, like everyone has been saying.

I’ve seen it work on other forums (Harry Potter fan-site The Leaky Lounge has one) and I don’t see it going horribly awry, so long as there’s the option to leave it blank.

I love this idea. My speech ticks tend to get me confused for a boy rather frequently. xD;