Question about fan videos?

I wanna make a YouTube video involving a mash-up of certain Pixar films, but I’m afraid that it might get taken down due to copyright or something (trust me, I don’t want THAT to happen again!) I just wanted to know if there was a possibility that it wouldn’t get taken down, since it would be considered fair use (I think?) and that fact that I have never heard of Pixar taking any YouTube videos down. I just want to know before I go through with it, because I do not want a second strike on my YouTube account.

Typically, its the music thats the problem. If you’re using a whole song or something like that, youtube might flag it for copyright issues. My suggestion is to try to us like a 1 minute snipplet of the song you wan instead of the whole thing.

As for videos, I think nothing will be taken down unless you’re posting like the whole movie.

OK, I was just wondering. Thanks for the info.

Ok, I have another question: What if I don’t use music but edit the clips to form a mini-movie or something and then dub over some parts? Would that be considered fair use? (I’m new to this whole fair-use thing…)

I would think that would be alright

I’ve used entire songs and clips and haven’t had mine taken down. Disney is usually fairly relaxed about fan video mashups from what I’ve seen; its actual full movies that they care about, and even then…

Thanks for the info, guys. Now I need to figure out a way to make a good quality video without recording directly off my TV…

OK, I just have one more question about this: Does anyone know a way I can get great looking footage off of my TV without any kind of fancy software or anything?

Well, I don’t know about your TV. What I do is rip clips from my DVD and download them to my deasktop.

If you want your content in full HD or 720p, the only way is the either rip the Blu-Rays if you physically have them, or torrent the Blu-Ray rips from online. The second method is a lot more illegal than the first, but as long as you support Pixar by paying for its movies in another form, or making a donation, I don’t see how it is any different ethically.

K, thanks guys. When I get a chance, I might get started on the video, just gotta plan everything out first, might have to wait until I get my own laptop though…

I can’t wait to see it dude.

^ It’s gonna be good, trust me. I already have an idea of what I want to do, but as I said before, it might take a few months.

A few months? Wow, that’s a long way away. BUt I’ll be waiting.

You can also try adding a disclaimer to your videos saying you only own the copyright over the editing, and everything else (video, audio) is the property of the respective copyright holders. It might not dissuade a Youtube’s Content ID program, but will help your case when you submit an appeal.

Also, another trick video editors do is to reverse-flip the video or shrink it. This might fool the Content ID program, which only recognises the video in its original resolution and placement.

Lastly, try not to make fan videos in the first few weeks of a movie or song’s release, as that’s when the bots would be most active. Wait till the ‘heat’ cools down a few months later, then you can probably get away with it. :wink:

^ Thanks. I didn’t really even think about the reverse-flip thing. I might try that. Like I said guys, I’m gonna have to wait until I get my own laptop and everything before I can get started, because my mom is pretty strict on what I use her computer for.