Haunt's Art

Wonky looking lineart of Vi. Some thunderstorms came through earlier today and I had to shut down the lappy, so I decided to sketch fanart. This is how I typically draw Violet, as 17 year old Super who goes by the alias ‘Haunt’.

Boo severe weather! :angry:

Very nice work Haunt. i have been waiting for it. Violet looks absolutely gorgeous in this picture. I love your style of art. So her name is Haunt huh? Pretty fitting if you ask me. I don’t think I ever heard anybody call her that until now.

Nice job! You are such a great artist!:smiley:

Haunt is an interesting name for Violet, but it kinda fits her. :sunglasses:

I’m gonna be brutally honest about your Violet drawing, Haunt, because nobody ever critiques around here. Heheh.

The sketch itself is fine, but Violet looks pretty manly. :wink: I’d slim her down and give her curves, and her jawline should be rounder.

You’re a great artist and I know you don’t draw people often. I’m just trying to help. :wink:

~~=oP

Mitch: Yup. It was either that, or the name of one of my older characters (Harle). And I try to keep my style somewhere between japanese anime and american comics. The closer to american comics the better, IMO.

The Star Swordsman: Thank you much. I was tired of the canon names like Inviso-girl and Ultra-violet. I wanted something a little darker (to match here early disposition). Plus her powers do have a kind of ghost like quality.

sharpie: Thanks!

You think that looks off. You should have seen the sketches from yesterday D= :open_mouth:
And danke for the crit. She is still skinny here, but her mod aviator jacket hides her body. (The girl’s still a little modest. :wink: ) I notice the jawline issue too, but was too lazy to fix it. Kinda one of those days where you just don’t feel like trying hard. I blame the weather.
To be honest, I’m way out of practice of drawing anything thanks to school portfolio editing and finals/graduation.

Well, Haunt really suits her invisibility. The force fields made me think, but it is nice name. Nice to have an original one from the commonly accepted Invisigirl.

Well, to kind of go along with and ellaborate on PixarVixens critique, I must point out some of the technical reasons for why the image makes the character look like a guy.

Aside from just the very “strong” chin abd jawline, which come off as manly, The large fact that women have larger pelvises than their ribcage, and vice versa for guys, and how this seems to have been overlooked, whether intentional or not, that’s more of an anatomical issue more than anything. Best thing to do would be to take some more life drawing classes, and draw quick sketches of people at the mall/park/school/whatever.

The size/shape of the nose isn’t really fitting of a female character, and the placement of the ear feel a little weird, dude to how far back it is on her head.

Sure, you could say you didn’t make her more “busty”, I mean sure, she doesn’t have to be “stacked” or anything, but she is a matured woman, no?

Her left hand (viewers right) is really odd looking, and has a bit of a tangent with the sleave.

Try and work on the construction of your pieces from the inside out, starting with simple skeletal gesture to figure out proportions, and then build from there, thinging in the 3 dimensions, not matter how flat or graphic the piece may be.

This is more about things to think about to improve your work in future pieces than it is me saying “You have to fix these parts now”

As far as that goes, you do as you want. If you wanted to do a redraw of this and post it, I could show you more of hwat you’re doing right/worng, so I can help steer you in a better direction, ensuring progression.

ANyways, just my critiques.

I’m also tempted to mention the neck is a little thick too but art is not my forte and thus I shall leave that to the artists to critique. (If you’ve seen any of my art you know I have no room to talk there. =P )

Now, what is more my speed is concept and I can say very much that I like what you’ve come up with here. The baggy clothes are very Vi-ish in her personality at least as it stands at the movie’s beginning and concurrent with how you have her hair (which is very nice btw - a modern update of her traditional style). It’s also very Freelance - I’m assuming these are regular clothes and not suppose to be a crime-fighting out fit (though I could see how that would work too if you added a mask). I wish I could see the color in it but it’s fashionable in a way I would expect Violet to be. So yes - I like the concept here very much. =D

No, you’re right, the neck is also thicker and more muscular than most women.

iza:Thank you so much for the crit! See, this is the stuff people on DA don’t help you with. As I had mentioned I wasn’t really in the “must be perfect” mood when I drew it. Oh lazy days. But I was aware that it had issues all up and down it. My biggest problem is I haven’t trained my eye to pinpoint out where my faults lie.
The school I attended didn’t have an illustration class, nor did the life drawing instructors really try to teach us why things looked the way they did. It was more of “draw this” and then they’d wander off for 2 hours. I’ve been pining for a figure drawing class for years. I have a degree in studio arts, and as you mentioned in your own art thread, it?s doing squat for me at the moment. I should have transferred when I had the chance.
Provided my portfolio is good enough I’ll be enrolling CCS in the fall, and that should get the ball rolling.
Lack of a personal drawing style isn’t helping much either. :confused:

Dash: Yeah, I see the neck think now. I always seem to make mistakes like this on paper more often then on screen. I think I’m becoming more comfortable with a tablet than I am with paper and pencil.
And I’m glad you like my concept. I’ve wanted to go into character design for the longest, so I practice on preexisting characters (as well as my own).
To be honest, I was never one for the whole super suit thing. Don’t get me wrong, I respect the tradition of super hero attire (Batman Begins suit = oh so sexy <3). But for Vi and Dash in their teenage years, I chose a modern approach to their fashions. More ‘street’ if you will. For the sake of continuity I make sure to mention in my stories that their clothes are ‘Mode altered’.

Bwahahaha!!! I almost mentioned that! One of my favorite scenes that I ever wrote was Violet getting a whole new wardrobe from Edna!

Yeah, I kinda wondered if you were going for the whole street “look” in a Super suit so to speak. I’ve often thought that as the kids got into their rebelious teen years they’d do something along that line and go freelance for a bit - esp Violet. Still need some way to protect the identity though. :wink:

Poor Haunt. I feel your pain. :frowning:

~~=oP

My art teacher was a comic book writer and illustrator. And he was very hands on with us. His name is Carl Flood. He made the comic books: Sticky the Anti-Cacti which he is not well know for. The other 2 comic books he wote are of Sagarrior. Which he is well knowe for.

Art dump of the Violet variety!

Well Deviantart is

acting all flaky and is eating pictures…again. So I’m posting these here in case they suddenly become MIA.

It’s the older deviations that are going missing so this is all old stuff from '04, right after the theatrical

release.

Siblings

[b]Moonlit

Watch[/b]

Duality

[b:75d727

8ab6]
Wanting to be

Normal[/b]

These are the only pics I did in the studios’ style.

Every other image I ever made of Vi and Dash have been in my own ridiculous style.
Seriously though, I’m

thankful for this movie. If it weren’t for Vi, I don’t know if I’d ever have tried drawing humans.
…geez

these are goofy looking…

I don’t think they look goofy. I think they look incredible! :smiley:

Haunt- The first one is

really sweet, and I love their expressions. The shine on Violet’s hair is especially beautiful! You’ve got the

bagginess of the clothes just right, but with a little more contrast in your shading, the creases will stand out

and be more realistic.

The second one is simple but works really, really well! Very cool! And the third

one is adorable! Your colouring skills are really top notch, and once again, Vi’s hair looks amazing. The fourth

one is impressive, and very emotive, but once again, just trying to add some darker bits in the creases of the

clothes would be a good idea.

Really nice artwork, Haunt! :smiley:

I agree with sharpie, don’t be so hard on

yourself! :wink:

I think the second one is very striking, I love the colors. I also love the third one,

specially the shine on Vi’s hair.

Keep up the great work! :wink:

Well, you were the first o show me, and i

will say that these are some of the best Violet drawings I have ever seen. Seriously, she is so cute and cool

when she is all heroic. I love them Haunt. Please draw more.

Love the siblings

one!It reminds me of my life…except me and my sisters don’t have superpowers…but they super annoy me.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I love these drawings!

Please draw more of that. :smiley: