Widescreen vs. Fullscreen

Which version of Ratatouille do you like better?

• Widescreen
  • Fullscreen

0 voters

I just saw Ratatouille on Starz, and it was the fullscreen version, which was new to me. I was very disappointed, especially one of my favorite scenes in the whole film, the end shot with La Ratatouille and Paris, which only showed the sign. :cry: No Tour d’Eiffel.

Has anyone seen both versions, and which do you like better?

Haven’t seen the full screen version and don’t plan on it. Widescreen is the only way to go even if we do get letterboxing on our 4:3 tv’s. It’s got that cinema feel and with widescreen tv’s nowadays, full screen is a thing of the past.

What bawpcwpn said…
Never have, never will…

Widescreen. The animators put that stuff in there for a reason.

Widescreen. It’s how the film makers intended their films to be seen. It also gives that “cinema feel” when you’re watching a movie at home.

Widescreen. You get a whole lot more to see horizontally. With full screen, you just get a little more of what to see vertically, which is not really worth it.

Wide Screen obviously. As full screen is just wide screen with a bit of the sides trimmed off.

Also I didnt buy a 52" widescreen LCD television to wach poststamp movies
Widescreen is the way to go for movies period.

I made some screenshots, just to show you how much needs to be cut of to fit it info fullscreen.

I think those two shots say enough to justify the widescreen edition

Did some better shots, so you can see how much detail will be lost.

No offence but anyone, who prefers full screen is just… stupid…

I always go for widescreen, but I never realised just how much they had to cut off for fullscreen! If we all watched it in fullscreen, think of the amount of footage that the animators had created that would be wasted…All of that effort, for nothing.

I’ll always prefer widescreen - shows much more of the scenery, but it’s best shown with a widescreen screen (like my Mac). My TV’s starting to not show the black bars and top and bottom, and just switches to fullscreen when that’s available. :stuck_out_tongue: I think it’s part of the manufacturers of that technology trying to get you to buy new stuff. xP Which, in a way, is understandable. :unamused:

What really ticks me off is when a Pixar movie is shown on TV, it has to revert to full screen. I am not sure if they can do anything about it. It is just something that can anny me a tiny bit.

Thanks for the pictures! What a great way to show just how much is cut off. I was kind of shocked myself.

All that space… WASTED!
Eye opening. :open_mouth:

I remember the scene where Django’s telling Remy how “food is fuel”, and they cut off Emile’s expressions! That’s one of the best parts of that shot!

Which is the reason why everytime I go buy a movie, I make sure that I get a widescreen if at all possible.

Which reminds me, i need to get a widescreen Cars DVD. :frowning:

A113: Cool!

Back on topic. . .

I think i am one of ew in my small family that likes Wide better than Full. Everytime we buy a movie, it is always a fight “Do you want it full screen or widescreen”

My dad always accidentally gets fullscreen one-disc. :stuck_out_tongue: Luckily, he buys them off a friend so it’s not so hard to return them, but still … widescreen two-disc all the way for me. :sunglasses: