Am I the only one who LOVES Mater?

Do you like Mater?

• NO!!!
  • He’s okay.
  • Irritating, but I don’t hate him.
  • I liked him in the 1st movie, but I’m tired of him.
  • Hated him in the first movie, liked him in second.
  • Well, yeah! He’s awesome!

0 voters

Okay, so, we all know most people, Pixar fans and not, don’t like Mater. Let’s discuss and(politely) argue whether he is a likable character or not. And this is not a sympathy war, either. If you dislike him, fine! Great! This is a place to explain in a rational, polite way why he annoys you. So, explain! Love him? Hate him? Tired of him? Can’t get enough? Let’s talk!

I actually do like Mater. I thought he was pretty funny and a nice character. It only bothered me that he had alot of screentime in Cars 2.

I loves mater :mrgreen: ;-o :-D)

Just wondering, as both of you said you like him, who voted for the “NO!!!” poll option? Not sure I understand. 8D

I did the one that said he was awesome :mrgreen:

Haha, I figured. You always say you like him even in real life. :stuck_out_tongue: 8D

Yeah, I wondered who selected that option. I can understand why people don’t like him since they don’t perfer that Larry the Cable Guy brand of humor. I don’t watch much of Larry’s stand up comedies but he sounds like a funny guy.

Yes, I understand that many people aren’t fans. Which is the point f this thread. But, I would prefer that the person post about it, and be rational, rather than just make the meter go down without contributing to our discussion. :neutral_face: The point is to see both sides fairly and well-defended. That’s just immature.

I didn’t mind Mater too much in the first movie. I didn’t hate him, but I didn’t like him. It was when he started getting so much attention that I really started to hate him. Cars 2, as I said before, elevates him to a point where the main message of the first movie is scrapped to tell us that the entire world needs to bend to Mater’s will or they’re bad people. His antics became an incredibly good example of “too much of a good thing.” They were mildly funny in moderation, but fill a whole movie with them and uuuuggghh.

The “NOO!!!” person is me. Sorry I didn’t reply fast enough for your tastes, I was doing other things.

Ah, okay. I understand that he is annoying. And I definitely understand that a lot of fans wanted Lightning to be in the spotlight again. I guess that, and the lack of Sally, didn’t bother me as much because I assumed and expected the movie to be pretty much exactly what it was: a 2-hour Mater’s tall tale with little-to-no-Sally and Lightning in the back ground.

And sorry about the whole “immature” thing, I thought it was a certain someone who just wants to be disagreeable. I’m sure what I said was uncalled for, but I’m trying o keep this civil, so it won’t get locked, like all my other pet threads. Ironically, I caused the trouble here. As usual. Again, I’m very sorry. hug

'tis okay. I got a little aggressive too. :slight_smile:

But seriously, the characters in Cars 2 might as well have been shouting “ALL HAIL LORD MATER” at the end.

I’m such a poop head, I must stop causing drama! 8D Anyway, I’m glad you’re not upset. :smiley:

Mater is the bomb![spoil]…literally[/spoil]

To paraphrase: “I don’t care who you are, [he’s] funny right there.”

"It’s like Tuhmater…without the “tuh!”

I love Mater. I think he’s such a funny, relatble character, and he was the character that really got me into Cars in the first place.

I, too, am a fan of Tomato! I’m actually a closet Mater x Sally shipper, ehheheh. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, he’s such an endearing character because he has that innocent vulnerability about him. He is so sincere to the point of being naive, and he’s not afraid to tell what he thinks. Of course, his lack of discretion gets him into half his troubles, but he always pulls through in the end!

I didn’t like the way how he was made into a total klutz in Cars 2 - in the first movie, at least he showed some slyness and cheekiness. But in the sequel, he became too much of a Woobie. He only returned to his trademark self-awareness in time for the climax.

But yes, he’s one of Pixar’s anti-heroes (in more ways than one!) and I found it very easy to identify with him as a protagonist. Cos’ at some point, we all feel like Mater, don’t we?

EDIT If there was an option where I can choose “Loved him in the first movie, hated him in the second” I would vote that. So I picked the “Yeah, he’s awesome!” one instead. :wink:

My tolerance of him grew with Cars 2, but overall I feel like the Pixar crew likes him way more than they should. His overall obnoxiousness makes him less likable to me than other similar characters such as Dory, who felt more innocently naive compared to Mater. Still, I don’t think he’s as bad as some people make him out to be.

TDIT: Great response! And sorry for the vagueness of the options. You might have picked “Liked him in the 1st one, but I’m tired of him”? I don’t know. Sorry about that! And yes, I noticed his character was a little different in the sequel. But, I sort of liked it. 8D

Brian: That’s understandable. We’re all annoyed by certain characters, it just seems that Mater gets hated on all the time.

I kinda wanted to express my opinion about Mater a little bit more. Mater was a dimwitted and nice character which made him a bit funny. I just don’t get why he was the main character in Cars 2 seeing he was only a minor character in the first Cars. I mean yeah the spy plot is the main focus but I would of loved to see more of McQueen and the race scenes. Like I said in my Cars 2 review, Mater doesn’t annoy me but when he’s on screen for most of the movie you tend to get tired of him. I think they could of developed Zundapp and the lemon cars a bit more. I did get a couple laughs out of Mater in Cars 2 such as [spoil]when he put on those disguises like the Taco Truck and Dracula.[/spoil]

I love Mater. My dad likes him a lot too. If you hang around our house long enough, you’ll eventually hear the phrases:

“Like tuh-mater, but without the tuh!”

“I’m happier than a tornado in a trailer park!”

and

“To not to.”

But I could have stood a little bit less of him in the second movie. That’s not to say I found him annoying or anything, but I just would’ve liked to see more of Lightning.

I understand. He was a bit over powering, and I see why that’s bad if you don’t like him as well. 8D And I love those quotes! I always say “to not to”.