Mater's Name

I didn’t see a thread posted for this, so I’ll just make it quick.

What’s the deal with Mater’s name? Is it supposed to be a play of the word “Meter” like “My Meter’s Running?” And what’s is it his surname- or is Tow Mater simply the name of his company?

I’ve wondered that as well… because Mater means ‘mother’ in Latin, I believe. That’s just not right. :laughing:

little chef

^ Yes, Mater does mean mother in Latin. :laughing: Except it’s pronounced differently. But yeah, it doesn’t seem right at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

I always thought he meant it like “tomato” but in a country accent.“Tuhmater, except without the tuh!” I dunno why he would be named after a tomato though…oh wow, I just realized how crazy I sound. :laughing:

^ You don’t sound crazy at all… runs away :stuck_out_tongue: kidding I dunno about Mater’s name I always wonder how they come up with names for characters. Maybe because they wanted sorta country sounding name? I’ve also wondered why so many things about Mater. he is a very interesting character.

Actually I believe that You Are right. That is what “Tuhmater, except without the tuh!” means. Tow Mater, tuhmater. I don’t know, I thought I heard that somewhere. If that wasn’t how they came up with the name Mater, that was definitely in there.

But why a Tomato of all things then? Are we supposed to believe he used to be a kind of produce truck?

Tomato- Tow truck

I think they came up with the pun at some point and the name stuck. No idea how they got to that point though. I wonder if he had a different name originally.

Anyway, I think he’s called Mater so that they can make the Tomato/ Tow Mater joke. Maybe it’s based on his accent? I dunno, its kind of a weird name.

So Mater’s named after a Fruit huh? Hmm, he always did seem a bit peachy.

I wonder if Mater, at one point in his life, used to be a gardener or something. Can’t imagine why his parents would name him something like that. Or maybe that’s his car brand?

Wow…

look at the Making of Cars featurette. Tow-Mater is indeed a pun, but Mater is named after a real guy who goes by Mater that JL met on Route 66.

Really, none of you own the DVD??? :confused:

And continuing from Virginia’s post, the guy that Mater is named after did say something about eating so many “tuh-maters” (tomatoes) that he got Mater as a nickname.

Guys, Mater’s name is based on a guy. lol

Yay!! Legit people are backing me!! Does this mean I won?

Yes you did! 8D

Yes!! :sunglasses: Thanks, Jess!

:slight_smile: welcome

I wonder if it’s just a nickname and he has an actual name. I’ve also wondered the same thing about Lightning, I mean seriously, would any parent give their kid such a name? Maybe his real name is Matthew, and Lightning is Leroy or something.

Heh, when I first heard his name, I thought it was because he was a bit of a Lothario, if you know what I mean. :wink:

Haha, yep! He’s on the Cars DVD bonus feature right? He’s a pretty chill dude.

I wonder where he got his name!

Well, I was close…he’s named after a guy that’s named after tomatoes. 8D

And ellie-jessie-eve, LightningandDoc just said he was named that because he ate so many tomatoes.

I wish I could throw a “to-mater” at him… :stuck_out_tongue: