Car Anatomy

(I have no idea if this image is available anywhere, so forgive me if y’all have seen it before. And yes, it is freaky!)

At Steve Purcell’s spotlight panel at the Comic-Con last week he showed this interesting drawing he had done while working on Cars:

(Click here for larger)

His theory was that there was this island with these cavemen on it, and basically a car would go there and pick one out. The caveman would plug their spines into the inside of the car and work as part of the brain (you can see the actual brain on top of the caveman’s head). And that’s how the car can move around, because a caveman is in there attached to the brain and manually turning the wheel. As you can see the tires have bones in them and everything. Steve said that Pixar wasn’t wild about his theory, lol…

(Sorry about it being washed-out, the room had too many lights for a photo of the slideshow to really look good; I actually decreased the brightness and upped the contrast to make it this visible.)

…Weird…

I find that slightly disturbing.

Wow, that is kind of creepy. Inventive, yes, but still creepy. :open_mouth:

Pretty darn disturbing . I just hope I forget this thread before I watch Cars again.

Creative yet disgusting…

Good lord, now that is what I call creativity. It is almost similar to what I thought what Cars anatomal structure looks. Anyways, really nice pic. Kinda freaky too.

:open_mouth: That drawing is messed up, man.

My boyfriend recently sent me a link to Blue Sky Studios artist Jake Parker’s blog, and his interpretation of Cars anatomy is way more idealistic, but still grossifying:

Inside Lightning McQueen

Read the blog entry for his freaky theoretic explanation of why the cars exist as they are.

Both of those pictures are very, very strange. But it’s an interesting question to ask- what exactly is inside the bodies of the cars? I always assumed that they were normal, like our cars, but I guess not. :laughing:

PV: That is an intresting picture of the inside of Lightning. Cool how the brain of Lightning is virtually close to the stomach.

Waitwaitwait, so when they change tires they change BONES? Wouldn’t that be really painful when the tires blow out then?

They plug in their spines and become part of the brain??? Let’s just say I can see why Pixar wasnt really into this.

I agree with lizardgirl : I always thought that the cars were normal and as a matter of fact i still do because like Netbug009 said “when they change the tires they change bones too??” O_o

I guess this whole car anatomy thing was just a fun idea, but as others have suggested, it wouldn’t really work. There has to be SOME human element in their anatomy, because of things like their eyes and their ability to feel pain, but you notice that when Lightning crashes into a cactus, he doesn’t bleed. And for there to be any of the stuff like in these pictures, there has to be blood involved.

Just thought that yeah all this story is just a fun idea, i maen remember “Toy Story” The toys are in plastic they don’t have a brain or anything why should it be different for the cars ?!

I kinda wondered the same thing too, among other unexplained phenomena (who built the buildings, how could birds from ‘The Birds’ co-exist with a vehicular-based universe, how do they perform activities that require separate digits or opposable thumbs, etc). We do know they eat and drink (McQueen mentions “pancakes” in his opening monologue), they go to the loo (the throwaway joke of male and female bathroom queues), and they procreate (the baby car at the stadium in the final race scene), so they have those respective body systems.
Unfortunately, we’ll never know what’s inside those bodies. Their side doors never open, and their side and back windows are conveniently tinted. Mia and Tia (the twin groupies) are soft-top convertibles, so if they pull their roof down, would you see their insides? If a car’s windscreen cracks or shatters in an accident, does that mean they would have to go for ‘eye’ replacements? Who manufactures the spare parts Doc uses to repair damaged cars?
I think this is one of those ‘suspension-of-disbelief’ movies where if you think too much about it, your head will go in circles.
BTW, those two photos are freaky. Steve Purcell’s is the more disturbing among the two, kinda like a Terminator on wheels. Jake Parker’s one makes more sense, and is ‘cuter’ in a weird way.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Kind of off topic, but I thought this would be the best thread to post this on. Anyways, there was a thread, it’s probably in the archives now, that dealt with how cars in the film were born. Well, I think I’ve got the answer. In the Bu-ray Production Commentary of Cars, somebody pointed out the paintings in the court, one of them dealt with “creation” of cars. It shows a big factory on a cloud, with cars emerging from it. So the answer to that question would be, in the Cars universe, vehicles come from a heavenly factory. :laughing:

God save McQueen? o_O"

Seriously, though, if we are to answer this very question, we’ll have to answer for every plot holes there are available throughout every Pixar feature; how toys can talk, why monsters exist, why did Heimlich the butterfly have little wings. All that jazz. :neutral_face:

I figured that their internal structure would be similar to a car, but with small amounts of unusual elements to explain how they eat and stuff.

They most likely procreate by physically building a car.

They eat by using some sort of food to motor oil/petrol conversion system.

Their waste is well, exhaust.

That’s a very wierd picture… what’s with they guy? he looks like a caveman or something…