Cars 3

So today, in addition to the announcement of The Incredibles 2, Cars 3 was announced. And it looks like Pixar will be making it, not Disney.
pixarplanet.com/blog/disney-anno … rs-sequels

So what are our thoughts? I think I enjoyed Cars 2 more than the average user on this forum, but I also feel if any one Pixar franchise is over-represented it’s Cars. So are you excited, or groaning? As for me, I’m being skeptically optimistic. I feel a little burnt out on Cars now with Cars 2 recently releasing and the plethora of Planes spin-offs, but keep in mind that we most likely won’t see Cars 3 until after 2016.

I’d say I’m… skeptically hopeful? Well, not expecting anything amazing (especially after being let down by Cars 2) but still definitely gonna be watching it.

A bad decision by Disney/Pixar but not a surprising one.

I don’t know if I’d say it was a bad decision; looking at it financially it will most likely be a great decision to make Cars 3. But I see where you’re coming from with thinking the film may not be good.

I love the first Cars very much. The second for me was alright I guess. I dont hate, but I dont need to watch it repeatedly either. That being said, I really dont feel very enthused about a Cars 3. I know I’ll miss Doc not being in it, just like the 2nd one. That probably contributed to me not liking it as much. Of course I’ll probably see it, but I’m not really excited for it.

I might be able to work up some enthusiasm for this, if Lightning gets the majority of the screen time again. But, Mater will probably get it, so…not looking forward to it.

I’m in the extreme minority in where I really liked Cars 2. :laughing: I personally don’t have a problem with a third one, and I’m rather confident that it will be good.

I like Cars 2, as well, even if I agree that the first seemed to have more heart in it. I also didn’t mind Mater being more of the central character in the sequel—it was refreshing, and his character was explored more. That being said, I hope that if Cars 3 does happen, Lightning will be the protagonist again.

I do wish people would be specific about whichDisney studio they are discussing. Planes was not made my Walt Disney Animation Studios, which is responsible for Disney’s 54 theatrical animated film releases and who have a track record for telling highly engaging stories but by Disney Toon Studios, who also gave the world the travesty known as Bambi II.

Tht said, there was never any reason to doubt Pixar would make aCars 3. No matter how people feel about Cars and its fantastic sequel, there is no denying that Cars is Pixar’s most lucrative franchise, if not on the screen, due to the amount of toys released related to even the most minor of characters.

There was a reason to doubt a Cars 3 back when Pixar was making movies instead of toy commercials and was still standing by only doing sequels if the story demanded it. They’d shown an incredible amount of restraint prior to Cars opening the crud floodgates.

My main concern is that I have to wonder if Pixar is even genuinely wanting to do a Cars 3—or really any of the upcoming sequels like TS4 and TI2. I have faith that they will pull them off with style, as they have been, but I strongly doubt the studio came up with the idea to do all these sequels out of nowhere without a little push and nudge from The Walt Disney Company. :confused: I thought I even recalled Andrew Stanton saying something negative about Finding Dory and the rest of these new sequels, but who knows.

I believe you may be referring to this?

ropeofsilicon.com/finding-do … mo-sequel/

First poster!

Even though I dread the fact that this film is getting a sequel, I hope Lasseter can redeem this film with an improved story.

I don’t think Lasseter’s involved. At least, not that much. He’s got Toy Story 4 to worry about, you know. :unamused:

I don’t know, of course. But frankly I think Lasseter staying away from it is probably the best boost it could get. The more I hear about the studio, the more it seems like people’s speculation that no one says no to Lasseter when he has a bad idea and that hurt Cars 2 is likely.

Speaking of Cars 3, I just noticed some plot details already revealed on a USAToday article!

^Here’s the link to that article! :arrow_right: [url]Sneak peek: 'Cars 3' zooms ahead with new character Cruz Ramirez

John Lasseter isn’t directing, but Brian Fee is (never heard of him until now I’ll admit, but he’s worked on the story for both previous Cars films so that’s reassuring). I’m very pleased about what details I’ve read about so far, I’m excited! :smiley:

That’s exactly what I read yesterday…yes, that article. Right there!

This movie is eleven months away from release and we still know only one thing about it basically, one new character and that it’s supposed to feature racing, yada yada yada.

We know more about Toy Story 4, a film coming out a year after that, than we do about Cars 3.

Last year at this time we knew about some characters from Finding Dory. We didn’t know what role they’d play in the film, but we were aware of their existence.

I also wonder how Finn McMissile will appear/be alluded to in this, since from the sounds of it some fans of the franchise didn’t like the spy stuff? I can sort of see why, the first film gave no indication that that was part of the Cars universe.

But on the other hand, Pixar can’t pretend that the spy stuff never happened. And I don’t see why anyone would want them to.

Is it me or is Pixar not releasing as much info as they used to about upcoming features in general? Like every year, I feel as if the amount gets less and less. Say, in comparison to Toy Story 3 and Cars 2, I felt like we had so much at our disposal to get excited about, not to mention several teaser trailers, and this was way before their releases. Also because this place was thriving at the time it bumped up the anticipation.

As stand alone films, I love both. I mean, it was the first Cars that got me hooked on Pixar in the first place, so when I heard that the next movie in the franchise was going to be something completely different from the original, from a franchise viewpoint, I was sceptical. Having now seen it I enjoyed watching it (especially their portrayal of the British 8D ). I’m relieved that they are returning to Radiator Springs for the third film because the first one has a special place in my heart, plus it makes the franchise feel more cohesive. As for Finn McMissile, I’m sure he’ll be in there. I hope Holley Shiftwell will be too, but only as minor roles. I want to see more of the original in this next one!