Gurgle the Outcast?

As a Gurgle fan, I noticed something upon recently rewatching FN: Gurgle is never mentioned by name in the film! I can see why he wouldn’t want to introduce himself to Nemo personally (it just seems to be in his character that he wouldn’t want any newcomers to know his name), but on the same token, I’m thinking that no one else introduced Gurgle to Nemo (or acknolwedged him by name) because he’s not accepted as a member of the Tank Gang (perhaps because of his neurotic, no-nonsense atitude). What do the res of you think?

I hadn’t noticed that Gurgle wasn’t mentioned by name, but now that you’ve pointed it out, WheezysBestBud, it does seem strange. I agree, he probably isn’t an accepted member of the Tank Gang, perhaps because he represents what the others are trying hard not to become.

Maybe they can’t really relate to him as much, because he’s so afraid of germs. Or maybe he was a more recent addition to the tank, and never really tried to become good buddies.

Gurgle had one of my favorite lines in Finding Nemo:

“Curse you, Aqua SCCCUUUMMM!!!”

I never really noticed that myself. He’s probably not one of the Tank Gang’s favorite members cause of his paranoia about germs, but I am pretty sure that Nemo got to know all of them while Marlin and Dory were heading to Sydney.

Wow. Out of all the times I saw that I never noticed that! I dont know if I’d call Gurgle an outcast, but maybe he’s just the type of fish you dont pay much attention to. Until he yells about the germs that is.

Who’s Gurgle?

Sorastitch - Gurgle is the purple and yellow fish who freaks out about coming too close to germs. He was the one who told Gill that he’s nuts and who screamd “Curse you, Aqua Scum!”. Hope that helps.

Gurgle is my favorite fish resident at 42 Wallaby Way :slight_smile:

Hmm, I never noticed that, though I don’t see why Gurgle should be any less accepted than the rest of the Tank Gang. I mean, Bubbles must annoy them at times with his globule-fixation, and I’m sure that Deb’s relationship with Flo inspires a bit of eye-rolling amongst her tank-mates. I get the impression that the Tank Gang are a very close-knit group, who put up with one anothers’ neuroses. I suspect it was just something they (the production team) overlooked, like the fact that Snow White neglects to kiss one of the dwarves goodbye at the end of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and not necessarily meant to infer anything.

Wow…I wonder how I knew its name is Gurgle in the first place…

You know what I think? I think you guys think too much! :slight_smile: You are right about him not being mentioned by name, however he is not an outcast by any means. He is always right there with everyone else. He is even a part of the ritual of accepting Nemo, “Shark Bait” into the club on top of Mt. Wannahockaloogie. If anyone is an outcast, it would be Jacques who seems to be hiding in the dive helmet most of the time. “Fish weren’t meant to live in a tank. It does things to ya.” All of the fish have mental problems.
Gill = No emotion, no remorse/Introverted/Antisocial Personality Disorder
Flo/Deb = Split Personality/Dissociative Identity Disorder
Bubbles = Crazy for bubbles/Fetish/Possessive/“Bubbles, My Bubbles!”
Bloat = Anger/Bipolar
Gurgle = Extreme fear of germs/Mysophobia
Jacques = Obsession with Cleanliness/Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Peach = ?

This is a very true point.

And let’s not forget that it’s not uncommon for characters not to be mentioned by their names in the film, but we all know what the names are. I’ve noticed it a few times, particularly in older films. The only example that is coming to my mind right now is Panchito from The Three Caballeros. (It’s listed in the credits however). This is also extremely common in Silent Films. (Think the Buster Keaton Films).