Nemo's name...

I would like to know how do Pixar chose Nemo’s name ?

I think I have the answer, but…

I have no basis for this, but I always thought it was from Captain Nemo.

Welcome, Nemo!
I don’t know…I guess it’s because it’s unique…?
It’s strange how it means “Nobody” though.

I always just assumed that it was taken from '20,000 leagues under the sea’s Captain Nemo. Seen as he lives underwater. However if it means ‘nobody’ then that puts another spin on it.

I always assumed it was because of the Latin meaning (one less word on my vocab sheet that I have to worry about! :laughing:) but it’s probably also a reference to Captain Nemo.

I highly doubt Pixar named their character “Nobody.” Nope, only Neil Gaiman does that.

I think it’s a reference to Captain Nemo too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Nemo

Actually, I just Googled it and the answer that came up was entirely unexpected:

It came from the word anemone (‘a nemo’) which was also his home.

That fits in with the aquatic theme of the other character’s names, Marlin being a type of fish, Dory being a type of fish (and a boat), Coral being…you get the idea :smiley:

Personally, I like that explanation. It fits with the idea of his character: a child who grew up completely shielded and protected.

Ohh, I have to say, I think that explanation makes the most sense! Nice find, Castoro Chiaro!

I always thought Nemo came from Captain Nemo, but that explanation adds a lot to it! Like there was some real thought going on behind the names and they werent just picked cuz they sounded good.

The same way they think of any other characters name…

I’m not really sure how they came up with Nemo, but at least it’s better than “Marlin Jr.”. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was expecting an answer from Pixar’s guys !

Just because I was one of their customer, and someone from them ask me questions about my nickname around 10 years ago, and the conclusion was : It could be a nice name for a Pixar character… :confused:

In 1984… I found an old comic : Little Nemo in Slumberland by Winsor McCay ! I fall in love with the character of this small boy who is always dreaming, that makes me also think of the Little Prince from St Exupery.

I was looking for a nickname as artist, and Nemo is exactly what I was expect, short and sweet, and unknown ! Moreover, Nemo is indeed the name of Captain of the submarine Nautilus in Jules Verne’s novels Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Mysterious Island, author from Nantes, a city where I lived at that time.

It’s only in the early in the 90’s that I discovered the original from Latin and Greek, name Odysseus gives the Cyclops it comes to blind ! Ne-mo = No name (my name is nobody).

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m sure the anemone explantion is correct, but I like this idea so much better.

I’ve always thought it was a reference to Captain Nemo.

Yo Pense tambien que se referia del capitan Nemo

its from the word anemone because if you look a’nemo’ne goes into it. I heard it on an interveiw or something but i love finding nemo and i’ve read so much about it so i dont know where i heard it from :smiley:

So, if Nemo is part of the word anemone, wouldn’t it be “finding home”? Also, yes, that’s what i thought too, that Nemo came from Captain Nemo, and i truly understood the word from the song Nemo by Nightwish. Seeing that everybody says that Nemo means No-one, but why they decided to call Nemo Nemo, i just thought that with his protective and secure life with Marlin, he felt like a nobody, or more simply, a loser. Maybe Pixar wanted to tell us that we had to take risks to be someone in life, because our entire life is filled with Risks, and there’s absolutely no way you can keep your child from every single risk, so maybe that’s why they called Nemo, Nemo.

Nemo my name, forever more.

That sounds more like a coincidence.