Tangled

So I’ve been following this film since what feels like 2006 when it was called Rapunzel Unbraided (and the first animation tests apparently hit SIGGRAPH in 2005, so it’s been a long time coming), but with the 2010 release drawing near, and with Pixar’s own fairy tale coming down the pipeline, I’m curious to hear what everyone thinks.

/Film just posted a new still from the film today:

Although the style seems a little less bold that the original tests, I still love the idea of making the shaders themselves stylized. As the /Film post says:

Render me excited.

I’m excited. I have never heard any sort of story of Rapunzel except for ‘Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!’ lol. :laughing:

You know what? Now that you mention it, I don’t think I could really tell the entire story either. Certainly not a feature length version at least :smiley:

Well, the artwork featured is rather beautiful although I don’t remember the whole tale myself…

I’m not impressed by the character design, personally. Looks like a Barbie movie. ‘~’

I think we’ll get a better idea of it once there’s a trailer out (attached to TS3 I assume), but I see where you’re coming from. I feel like the quality of animation and visual style might surprise us yet!

haha I was just about to make a topic about this! Looks like ya beat me too it! I agree, though, can’t wait! :smiley:

Now this looks very cool indeed. :smiley:
It is certainly a wise choice to make the style stand out from the Shrek-esque look we have by now seen (way too) many times in CG fairy-tales.

Yeah, and I love the combo of technical excellence (Rapunzel’s hair and the cloth of her dress look amazing) and artistic stylization!

I trust that you were close to making this a topic woody, judging by your avatar :smiley:

I love this still. I’ve been so up and down with my confidence for this film but as of right now I’m really rooting for it.

I think I agree with Netbug009, there’s definitely something Barbie-esque about that screenshot (though obviously in a lot better quality). The animation style sounds very interesting though, and I’d like to see it in action before judging it too harshly.

I’m excited! Growing up Rapunzel was my favorite fairy tale. I’m a bit dissapointed that this is in CGI, especially after seeing Princess and the Frog. Disney says she’s being added to the line up and I think it’ll be weird to have a CGI princess next to the rest

Looks good. Nice find on the picture, I had been digging for a while and only just found that one.

This story has a lot of potential, because once she’s out of her tower, you can take it anywhere.

The name of the film isn’t Rapunzel anymore… It’s Tangled… How original…

The look of this is fantastic! I can’t wait to see what they’ll do with this.

An early version of the trailer is out, made up of about 95% boards and unrendered stuff. I had some hope for this project before, but the tone this trailer is setting makes it look like a bad Shrek ripoff.

latinoreview.com/news/disney … nline-9268

Looks pretty lame to me. Especially after reading the thread about the article, as well as watching the trailer posted here. Stop being so politically correct, DISNEY!!! I HATE IT. :cry:

Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, Disney. Why do you have to return to making genre spoofs after the wonderful PATF? I mean, Shrek’s already done that. The use of [spoil]the hair as a whip and frying pan smacking[/spoil] is too much slapstick for me. And please change the godawful teenybopper music and get some ochestration in there. I did like the [spoil]gecko[/spoil] sidekick, but it seems weird for a place that’s so far away from [spoil]any remote desert setting[/spoil]. Maybe a bird or a squirrel would’ve been better?

I guess it’s hard to remake any classic fairy tale stories these days without appealing to be ‘hip’ and ‘yo-yo-this-is-so-cool’ to the juvenile audience nowadays. Can’t they be brave and just make something truly bold and spectacular, instead of going back to lame Laurel and Hardy pranks and the subversion of the fairy-tale genre?

Maybe they’ll get a better cut of the trailer out, or rewrite the cheaper aspects of the script. But they’d better do it fast, since it seems they’re aiming for a year-end release.

TDIT, I agree. Did you read the post about the LA times article??

Yes, I did. I just posted an angry reply. Did you read my response to your statement in The Princess and the Frog thread? :wink: