DCOMs

Let’s discuss Disney Channel Orignal Movies! So how many do you know about? How many have you watched?

There’s waaaaayy more than modern Disney Channel would bother to promote (I’m serious, nowadays Disney Channel is mostly seeking to bury their past as if it never happened! They’re not even on the website!).

There’s more than the first ones that come to mind. There’s more than: Jump In, High School Musical 1/2/3, Cheetah Girls 1/2/3, Camp Rock, Dadnapped, Princess Protection Program, Minutemen, Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior, Cowbelles,Hatching Pete, Twitches 1/2 (btw what’s so cool about mispelling “Two” in the sequel title? And did they even credit the author of the series Twitches?), etc, etc. (don’t worry if you like any of those movies- I’m not hating them).

Who remembers the old Disney Channel? Who knows what I’m talking about if I mention Brink or Northern Lights (two of the first DCOMs). Actually, I didn’t see those two said movies, but it’s because I didn’t get the chance. Disney Channel never mentions it. I’m upset that more than twice I had to stay up until 2 AM to see their old movies, and fell asleep at the climax because I was too tired!

Now, in my opinion, I think they worked harder on their movies in the past. The newer movies are using plots that have been used before- the older ones are more original and creative. I think the movies are more meaningful.

For example: which ending song do you think would touch you more- one called “Teardrops and the Rain” or one entitled “We Rock”? If you chose the first one, you’re feeling the same thing I’m feeling. If you chose the second one, ah, well, at least you still see my overall point anyway.

Here are some that might interest you and/or bring back memories (depends on if you know them or not):

• Pixel Perfect
    Plot: A computer whiz kid named Roscoe creates a holographic rock star with perfect qualities to help his friends’ band become successful. However, conflict rises when one member of the band is jealous of the hologram’s flawlessness, Roscoe begins to fall in love with his own creation, and the hologram itself, named Loretta, seeks to be a real person. (to be her own master, like the Genie in Aladdin).

-You Wish!
Plot: Alex’s little brother is ruining his life. In all the anger, he wishes that he doesn’t have a little brother. Thanks to a strange coin in his coin collection, his wish is magically granted. Alex is getting everything he ever wanted because of the absence of his brother. But by his life being better, the lives of the people he knows are worse. And, of course, he begins to miss his little brother.

-Now You See It
Plot: Alison is competing for a reality TV. show that involves being a kid producer and seeking the best kid magician. Alison finds Danny, her last hope after countless failed wannabe magicians, and Danny’s different. It turns out that this awesome magician she’s discovered is actually a young wizard who can’t control his powers and wishes to be a normal kid for once (reminds me of Violet from The Incredibles a little).

-A Ring of Endless Light
Based on a novel
Plot: A girl realizes she can communicate with dolphins. During the summer, she tries to change the mind of two people: first, her boyfriend’s father, whose illegal nets hurt dolphins, and second, a new friend who would only look at things for scientific reasoning, including her amazing ability to hear what dolphins are saying/thinking.

• Smart House
    Plot: A family lives in a cool house rigged with gizmos everywhere and connected by a program called P.A.T. Things go riskily too far, however, when the oldest kid in the family programs P.A.T. to do more, and P.A.T. develops the idea that she is their mother.

-Don’t Look Under the Bed
Plot: Strange, outrageous, anonymus pranks are all over town, and Frances is being blamed. Frances later meets Larry, someone whom only she can see, who tells her she’s being framed by the Boogeyman. Frances finds it hard to believe, because she’s left behind such unlogical ideas of childhood behind (like Jane did in Disney’s Return to Neverland). Later it is revealed that as a kid grows up and leaves imaginary friends behind, the forgotten imaginary friends never disappear, but rather, transform into monsters like the Boogeyman, that adults cannot see but children can. (Which, by the way, I found to be an ingenius, brilliant, creative, spooky idea)

-The Thirteenth Year
Plot: Cody Griffin faces the strangest puberty: he grows scales and fins when he touches the water. This leads him to seek help from a school science geek (whom he befriends later by doing so), and to also seek who his birth parents were (he’s adopted). His parents don’t know what explanation to give, because they’ve only found him as a baby, without anyone else (like in Hercules). Cody begins to discover that he’s a merman.

-Quints
Plot: Jamie Grover used to be an only child, and get sometimes too much pressure and attention from her parents. But when her mom gives birth to quintuplets and her parents are too busy to notice much about her, Jamie begins to miss the attention. However, the challenge of having five new babies in the house help Jamie to realize her potential, prove to be more responsible, and discover new talents such as art can make her feel better.

-Motocrossed
Plot: A teenage girl takes her injured twin brother’s place in a motorcrossing competition behind her father’s back. (sounds like Mulan, but the story’s still good).

-Tru Confessions
Based on a novel (and I read the novel- really excellent book!)
Plot: Trudy, nicknamed “Tru”, wants to have her own TV show. She dislikes her life, and is embarrassed by her twin brother Eddie, who has a mental disability that causes him to act like a little kid. Tru enters a video contest and wants to send a video about her life, but since it is so boring, she makes a video about her brother’s life instead. Thinking her mother doesn’t understand her, she is comforted through tough times by an online friend named Deedee. [spoil]Deedee, however, to her surprise, is the same person as her mother[/spoil]. Going through all this helps Tru form a stronger bond with her family.

-The Poof Point
Plot: A supposed time maching malfunctions and makes the inventors grow younger overnight. The kids of the family must hurry to get things back to normal, before their parents disappear altogether in a “poof point” just like the goldfish they tested on.

-The Scream Team
Another cool Halloween DCOM. Saw it last October. But from midnight to 2 AM. Disney Channel just won’t show it any other time.
Plot: Two children move into a town where their grandfather just died. They later realize that a spirit society called “Soul Patrol” that search for lost ghosts and help them move on in the afterlife, is looking for their grandfather’s soul. It turns out that he’s been stolen by a mad, evil ghost. The children and the Soul Patrol try to defeat him. In the end it turns out that the evil ghost is actually [spoil]just a misunderstood inventor whose wife was killed in an accident when inventing something, and everyone thinks he’s a monster who’s murdered his own wife. The ghost is haunting the town angrily because he won’t rest while everyone remembers him as such a terrible killer.[/spoil]

-Phantom of the Megaplex
Plot: Peter, who works in a movie theater, is getting ready for a big event at the theater. However, chaotic problems arrive as things get out of control in the different movies (as if the movies’ chaos come to life in horrible practical jokes). His little brother, an enthusiastic movie geek [like me XD], helps him solve the problems and catch the culprit.

What other DCOMs do you know? Have you seen any of these? What do you think?

I remember Motorcrossed, Now You See It, You Wish!, and Smart House. Smart House is one of my favorites though.

What about Life Size? I know it has Lohan in it (boy, isn’t she a mess) but the movie has an interesting concept.

Oh what about the one about the boy who was really a mermaid, like whenever he touched water he would grow fins and scales? I don’t know if it is a Disney thing, but I remember it being played way back when. Nevermind, I see that you already have it posted. :blush: The Thirteenth Year, that was one that was at the top of my list too when they showed it.

And you also have Halloweentown 1-4 (Which comes on only during Halloween time), and Zenon: 1-3 (Eh, every few years or so)

Here’s a list: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Di … nal_Movies

There’s quite a few I don’t recognize though.

Interesting thread. :smiley:

Brink! is probably my favorite, followed closely by The Phantom of the Megaplex, and Motocrossed. They used to show Brink all the time, I’m really bummed they don’t anymore, because I did seriously enjoy that movie.

I actually grew up watching alot of these movies. There’s a really old one that still gets shown at 3 in the morning called You Lucky Dog, starring Kirk Cameron from Growing Pains. It was about a rich man how died, and left all his inheritance to his dog. Kirk Cameron played a pet psychologist who could read the dog’s mind, and he was hired to help the dog spend the money. The main plot focuses on the other possible heirs of the fortune who want the money form the dog. Not a great movie, but a very nostalgic one for me.

There was another one I kind of liked called Horse Sense. It starred two of the Lawrence brothers, and was about a rich snobby kid who gets sent to work on his cousin’s horse ranch after he gets in a car accident. I don’t remember all that much, but I think it was pretty decent, at least for a DCOM

There are so many movies, that seem to have gotten shown only a few times, and were then pulled from the lineup. I never saw Ring of Endless Light, and would have completely forgotten about it, had you not brought it up. Then there’s Safety Patrol, P.U.N.K.S., Genius, Poof Point, and a few others. Some of them to get shown every now and again, like Smart House, and I’ve seen obscure ones on Disney XD, or on very late night Disney, but I’d like to see movies like Brink! more often.

thewisecookiesheet: Tell me about it. Smart House is proabably my second favorite DCOM, next to Pixel Perfect. Both of these movies are about someone artificial and perfect wanting to be real.

Was Life Size by Disney Channel? I’m not quite sure…it probably is. (Maybe that’s why Disney Channel shows it every now and then). I really enjoyed that movie and have watched it a few times. It’d be interesting if someone made a crossover/parody of Life Size with Toy Story, or maybe WALL-E (because of Eve).

DocKenobi: I’ve heard of Brink! but never got the chance to see it. Disney Channel nowadays acts like it doesn’t exist! What’s it about? I know it has something to do with skating and…bribing, was it?

Phantom of the Megaplex was very entertaining, too. I’ve only seen it once, and not the entire thing, I admit, but I liked it. Especially the little brother being a movie geek- I am like that now, heehee.

You Lucky Dog sounds a bit like The Aristocats. Just a bit. It must’ve been interesting.

I never saw Horse Sense but I did see the sequel Jumping Ship, at around 12 AM to 2 AM (fell asleep towards the end, though. It wasn’t that I was tired of the movie, because I wasn’t. It was just that staying up so late made me tired. So I missed the climax. Drat.)

I do not like how Disney Channel is now pushing most of their old movies either out of Disney Channel existance or towards the AM times where few people can see it or know about it.

I just saw Get A Clue today. It’s about a teenage reporter who wants to go undercover (doing an adult’s work) to find out why and where her teacher suddenly and mysteriously disappeared to. Very interesting. However, I couldn’t quite catch up with the plot at some times. Goes to show if you ever want to be a spy, you have to be able to pick things up quickly. [spoil]Geez, it could’ve done without the boyfriend/girlfriend hinting!! What is with that cliche part? If someone saved your life, it doesn’t automatically mean that person is in love with you! When she went like, “This is strictly business” at the beginning, I was thinking, “Yeah right! It always starts that way!” Sorry for my ranting.[/spoil]

Brink! is basically about a group of four friends who roller blade/inline skate just for the fun of it. There’s another group of kids at the same school as them who skate for a sponsor, so they get paid to do it, and Brink, and his friends consider these kids sell-outs. Brink, has to reconsider things when his Dad might lose his job, and his family needs some kind of income. It’s not a great movie, but one I’ve always enjoyed, especially because I like the cast. Brink, is played by Erik Von Detton, who played Sid in Toy Story, and was also in a few other movies, and the Disney Channel show, So Weird. Brink’s best friends is also on the show So Weird, and one of Brink’s friends played Taina, on an old Nick show called, Taina. Also, the little sister in Smart House, is also the little sister of Brink.

Yeah, that was one of the reasons I liked Phantom of the Megaplex, too. The sister is also quite a movie geek too. I also liked the main character, Mickey Rooney, and I really enjoyed all the side characters who had the interesting quirks. I do enjoy that movie.

I never saw Jumping Ship. I heard it actually had very little to do with Horse Sense, other than featuring the same characters.

I never really liked Get A Clue. I thought the plot really wasn’t that well organized, and it really didn’t entertain me at all, although I only saw it once or twice, a long time ago. I remember my sister and I were highly anticipating the release of the movie because we really liked the song “Get A Clue”. We used to sing it alot.

By the way, anyone remember The Other Me, with Andy Lawerence? I think it’s on tonight, in the AM.

I wanted to see it but I couldn’t stay up late enough to watch it. So I missed it. I managed to sneak a peak at it, though. It looked entertaining and funny.
If only Disney Channel would show it at a regular PM time for once. Who needs those over-and-over reruns all the time, anyway? If Disney Channel would show some more respect for their older movies and had an Older DCOMs Week or something. That’d be a heck of a lot better than “HSM Sing-Along/Dance Along Marathon!” or “Camp Rock Sing-Along/Dance Along Marathon!” or anything of the sort playing so often yet each time they act like it’s never before.
P.S. Please excuse my rants…

What about Cadet Kelly? With Hilary Duff as the main protagonist? I know this kinda rant or something, but I really missed the movie.

And yeah, Brink!. Talk about been a school as a kid back then…

I like a lot of the older DCOM more than the most recent ones. Here’s some of my favorites in no particular order:

-Brink!, Smart House, Genius, Horse Sense, Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire, The Luck of the Irish, Cadet Kelly, Gotta Kick It Up, and The Other Me.

Brink! would probably have to be my favorite out of all of those though. Used to watch that movie a lot when I was younger!

Never really got into the newer DCOM. It’s been a couple years since I’ve actually sat down to watch a DCOM the whole way through. The plots just don’t appeal to me as much as the older ones did. Plus, I am older now. That might make a difference as well, but I would love to be able to watch some of the older ones again!

I agree that getting older probably has something to do with it, Hannahmation. Perhaps we are simply blinded by nostalgia.

Oh yes, good ol’ nostalgia! Wonder what I would think of those old DCOM if I see them again now…

I watched Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie, the night it premiered, and I thought it was pretty good. It was definitely one of the better DCOMs ever made, if not the best. I’m still not quite sure if I would say it’s my favorite, as I still am quite fond of Brink!, but it was a good one. I like the show alot, and I think it actually did a very good job of still feeling like part of the show.