Monsters, Inc. Similar to Toy Story?

Has anyone noticed all the similarities? This is in no way negative, I just want to discuss. Maybe Pete was very…inspired by Toy Story?

-Buddy film
-Main character feels particular closeness to the child
-Villain gets punishment, not death
-Score sounds REALLY similar(they have the same composer, but that really stuck out to me before I knew that)

Do you guys have any?

I don’t know if Pete was inspired by Toy Story. I mean, I think that’s just his style, he did help work on the story for Toy Story.

Anyway, I didn’t realize there were so many similarities! I can’t think of any more right now, But I’ll be sure to add something if I think of any

There’s also a direct reference to the Monsters, Inc. soundtrack in Toy Story 3.

Monsters: 3:42 to 3:55
youtube.com/watch?v=hPkVAuVkW-c

Toy Story 3 (SPOILERS): 0:14 to 0:35
youtube.com/watch?v=6i432V79s1w

Oh, yeah!! I see that. That’s so cool, Bryko!! Ellie-Jessie-Eve, I mainly meant that MI was inspired by Toy Story some what. If I said Pete, it was a slip of the tongue. Sorry :blush: I just love finding similarities in Pixar films…

Cool, I never noticed some of these things before. I did know about the music, though, and i have wondered if there are more similarities.

Glad to know that other people think this as well. I was starting to think I was on my own with this one. :wink:

I guess there are some overall similarities between the two films, but that’s partly unavoidable due to the nature of storytelling and film-making. Still, you’ve pointed out some interesting comparisons, IncredigirlVirginia.

I didn’t mean anything bad(I love all the Pixar movies), I just thought it’s neat to see how many striking resemblances we can find :smiley:

I do to! :smiley:

As far as the score goes, I find that alot of Randy Newman’s music does sound extremely similar… I think it’s just his style of writing music. His scores for the different Pixar movies that he’s done all sound very much alike.

Isn’t it so much fun??? :smiley: :wink:

I have one! In Toy Story 2, the kindly older character, Prospector, turns out to be something of a villain. In Monster’s Inc. the kindly older character, Waternoose, turns out to be a villain.

Although, I’m not sure how much that one counts as Toy Story 2 underwent a lot of revision during its production. The team working on Monster’s Inc may have already decided on Waternoose’s true colours before the a smilar idea was used in Toy Story 2.

That’s a good point, Nausicaa. :smiley: