Central Monsters University Discussion

Ever since I heard about MI2, I thought it was crazy. The first one ended perfectly! If Boo is the same age in MI2, it’s boring, if shes older, it’s kind of lame.

What if it took place before Mike and Sulley met, and even how they got to work at Monsters Inc.

There could be new characters, as well as family. And you might even find out that they already knew Randall before Monsters Inc. Or abominable snowman, we need John’s voice!

I think the idea is cool cause it’s a Pixar first, and deals with the nervousness about Boo. Only down side is Boo is a important character and wouldn’t be in it. Another thing is you wouldn’t want to see Waternoose again, that might be tricky.

My other thought for MI2 would be right after the first one, and Mike & Sulley embark on a journey to save Abominable snowman, Nessie, Bigfoot, and maybe their friend people call “a martian”

It would be cool because they’d be going through different envoirments and gathering a nice looking group of monsters along the way. Boo would have to be with them, and because they’ll be in the human world, they can use her for certain plans.

They could even create a mobile door/machine to go back and forth between worlds.

Either way, MI2 will be just as good as the first one. Cause why? Cause it’s pixar!

Actually Sullivan and Wazowski do know Randall previously, in fact he was actually involved with their employment at Monsters Inc.
A prequel would be a intersting idea…

As for the other, it would be intersting to see WHY these individuals were banished (OR exhiled). AB, for instance, doesn’t seem to be the criminal type. A little absent and fuddled maybe, but doesn’t seem to be a killer or some ruthless criminal that deserved the maximum punishment. Seems strange don’t it?

Well I’m one who argues that the ending of M.I. wasn’t really complete or perfectly finished, there are too many questions which aren’t answered and threads left behind so I have to disagree with you there, but let’s ponder the idea of a prequel.

A prequel does sound interesting in some respects though I think I’d prefer things like mini-episodes or things on tv for that time period rather than a movie, silly little things even about their lives. Sad things even, though of course humorous things would be good too. I kind of think under different circumstances perhaps Sulley and Randall could have been friends, it would be touching yet very sad to see that touched upon or briefly looked at.

Personally I think Randall distrusted Sulley not just because of scores or whatever but because Waternoose was a nice guy to the outside world but he knew what he was really like. It wouldn’t surprise me if he though Sulley’s nice guy charm was all an act too.

Overall like a sequel, it depends on what they do with it though and things can still go wrong.

But if both were of high quality in terms of story telling I’d prefer to see a sequel in all honesty. But that’s because I differ on my opinion on the ending to yours really.

And nexas raises and interesting point about exiling. I kind of wonder about the snowman. Was he wrongly convicted? Perhaps he did something pretty bad but he changed after being exiled? (Then again that change would be pretty drastic in his case). I would too like to see the Monster world explored- of course you can do that in a sequel too, not just a prequel.

Wow, it never crossed my mind that Monsters, Inc 2 could be a prequel. I can’t wait to find out more details! It’ll be a while until we do though :frowning:

There’s no way it will be a prequel. But of corse I think it should be mike and sully going to get the banished monsters now that monsters Inc. Is under new management. I want to see the loch ness monster and big foot. Whatever the movie ends up being, I don’t think i could end up disappointed.

Even if it ends up being a prequel you won’t be disappointed?

In most instances, I too think that it will be a proper sequel, but that doesn’t mean we won’t get some glimpses or flashbacks, which I think will help round out the story a lot better.

Hmmm…a prequel could be an interesting thought. It would be cool to see how Pixar would handle a prequel. And there are various I ideas that could be used into how they got to where they were in Monsters Inc. On the other hand,I think the actual sequel has potential too.

I wouldn’t really like a prequel. I don’t think the past was emphasized enough for that in the original, anyway. If that makes any sense…

When is it coming out?

When is it coming out?

2012, I might be wrong though. So many animated films coming up, so many different release dates!

I really hope it’s not a prequel. :frowning:

I was watching MI yesterday and thought about this too. A logical and funny theory I came up with was by being exposed in the human world. Think about it. Whether you think it’s real or not, there’s infamous, unexplained pictures and evidence of all of them.

Rumors are that it is.

slashfilm.com/monsters-2-prequel/

I saw where Bryko posted. :frowning: I really hope it’s just a rumor. What do you think, ellie-jessie-eve?

I’m failing to see how Pixar can create a compelling story based off two characters we already know quite well being enemies at a university and then becoming friends. Unless they have something up their sleeve, something completely unexpected that will lead to a great amount of character development (besides Sulley and Mike’s competitiveness with eachother–I’m sure I’ve seen that in twenty sitcoms/movies by now), this doesn’t seem like it would be a challenge to the filmmakers. I’m jumping too quickly to conclusions, aren’t I?

I trust Pixar either way, but still… to me, it’s nothing but a rumor as of now!

On could say it’s amazing that none have been caught yet.
grins Funny ain’t it?

As for being a prequel, it is not set in stone. It has been confirmed that this is INDEED a SEQUEL, and coming out in 2010.
Now…it would have been stated at the start to be a prequel. Story-wise, a sequel is much better, at least in terms for cinema.

However, and I keep saying this, it doesn’t mean we won’t get glimpses through flashbacks of past events, especially those we haven’t seen yet.

Hmmm, I’m not sure. I’m treating it as it is for the moment, a rumor. You never know who posted that and if it’s true, but it’s interesting seeing other people taking interest in the movie all ready.

Enemies at a university? Excuse me?

A prequel would generally have the original cast appearing in some way or another. I mean IF it’s a prequel, which I doubt, then just focusing on Sullivan and Wazowski would just be a bit too tired. They were the main focus of the original film, yes, but they DID NOT make ALL of it.

I mean think about it. Celia wouldn’t be in it. No. Her and Wazowski met at Monsters Inc. Waternoose might not be in, unless in commericals for M.I. OR being inducted in as CEO by his father. Randall would be too young to appear.

Of course the ABOVE…is if this is MANY years back.
Now just a few…two or three…
Celia may not be in it. She may be just starting the job. Waternoose? Starting…or well into his role as CEO, and we’d see him allot better than before. Randall? Well he’d be Top Scarer or Sullivan’s/Wazowski’s trainer depending on the time-frame.

There’s a bunch of different timeframes here. It would actually be rather confusing to do a prequel. Fanfictions handle this well.

I am sceptical as stated that it’s actually true, but on the off chance it is, while I’m not sinking to my knees in the mud in deep angst or anything (even in a fandom context), but I would be pretty disappointed (thankfully Megamind cheered me up yesterday).

This is however especially since I’m thinking it might not fit all that well with the original movie we have if ALL the details are true, though once again this partially depends on the idea if they are inferring that this is an entire huge University for scaring (sounds rediculous and conflicts with the original movie at least partially or at least does not sit very comfortably with it at all) and that Mike and Sulley are meeting for the first time in that setting (completely and utterly conflicts with actual canon in the first movie and there would be no getting around that). If they have met before, been friends and ‘broken up’ it might work, but it seems like pointless drama for pointless drama’s sake. Unless they are inferring they were just classmates, at school, then enemies, and then friends? Which might possibly work but is still a pretty uncomfortable fit at that and would annoy me. But if it’s their first meeting, it can’t work. At all. It just can’t.

And while movie canon> all other ‘canon’, I think the same applies for original movie> all sequels/prequels afterwards where there is too much conflict.

Also, although the name suggests this (but if it’s true I hope it isn’t), like I said, an entire university for scaring? WHAT. Even in the community college idea it’s pretty weird- since we SEE training in the movie! Do you think any of those guys like Phelm have been through any such course? I don’t think so. If it is true and they want it to fit, it can’t be anything to do with learning to be a scarer. Other things? Sure, of course they’ll have colleges and whatever, but actual scaring? No. Just no.

A prequel might work but… what was good about the original film is that they at times rather nicely inferred the past- like Sulley’s father-son bond with Waternoose and all. That was nicely shown, and hence the reveal of Waternoose was a pretty good ‘stomach-punching’ event for many viewers!

Plus the problem with prequels is that we know how it ends- there will be little suprises. This is the past. Mike and Sulley will be perfectly fine in the end, and we all know that. Sure maybe with brand new characters we could also care and wonder but then… if we don’t meet them again in the original film that would almost be a bit depressing in context. They wouldn’t be close to whoever it is anymore if anyone in the context of the original movie unless say it’s Celia or something. (Very doubtful somehow.)

But, they have forgotten little details and lines before and what they mean even in the original movie (in my view at least). Them forgetting that in the ACTUAL MOVIE that they’ve known each other (at the very least) since the fourth grade is perhaps frightingly plausible.

I don’t mind them ignoring stuff which isn’t in the extra information, stuff not even in the original movie no matter what ‘status’ it may have been given- because there’s so many, few of the people viewing it will have seen them all or maybe any of them and because… well, most of them conflict anyway, and their general quality is rather mixed sometimes too. Not all of them would fit at all in any case or make much sense. So we have to consider the idea of Randall being trainer as not being sacrosant or something they have to do or even mention. They could use the idea, but not necessarily. It’s not in the original movie at all so it’s fair game to use or not use.

But yeah, I guess I’m repeating myself here. I’m not bwalling here, but I’m not really happy either at the idea.

A prequel in some form could work despite the loss of the sense anticipation which can occur (but maybe they could pull it off). But the other details don’t sound that great. Of course yes, once again, I might turn out to be wrong, and on the off-chance this rumour is true I really hope I am.

The original movie itself, well the largest portion of it consisted of Sulley and his various relationships with people in it. To reduce it to just Mike (even if they’re supposed to be best friends eventually), and heck have the only important relationship to Mike be Sulley to would be… kind of lacking in a way. I mean Sulley had relationships with Boo and Waternoose. With Randall we see the context of a work rivalry both unwanted on Sulley’s end but wanted on Mike’s towards him.

Almost anyone new in a prequel is also someone ‘unimportant’ in the original movie later. And that’s just kind of sad.