Monsters, Inc. 2!

MI2 is official :smiley: ! I love the first one, especially the ending. It was full of heart, great animation and awesome characters. I hope it’s about Boo not seeing Mike and Sulley for years, and they want to go see her again, and she freaks out. I hope it lives up to the first one.

Woo hoo! This is the best news I’ve heard all week! “Kitty!”

Actually, I was kind of hoping that they’d stay away from that. I mean Boo is a great character in the first film, but I personally would not want to see her as an adult in MI2. It’d be way to repetitive and way too similar to Toy Story 3 in that aspect. PIXAR should focus on a completely new storyline.

But yes! Can’t wait to see MI2 and see Mike again- he’s definitely the funniest PIXAR character.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ohmygod you guys!! I’m just here to spazz out and be excited about this!! just found out, and it’s made my morning!! :laughing:

The plot should focus on another Monster myth just like the whole closet thing. Maybe they meet aliens?

‘Monsters Inc vs Aliens’. Kinda catchy.

Ha. Ha. Ha. And maybe while they’re at it, they’ll force the company to close down making them all move back into street. The Sesame Street.

My heart’s all a pitter-patter now. I don’t know what to think. Aaah.

Here’s a link I found that confirms it if anyone wants proof (though I’m sure there are lots of different websites covering the same sorts of things)- Disney-Pixar confirms Monsters Inc 2 (hate it when they leave the comma out of the title).

The release date is November, 2012 (in America, I’m presuming the rest of us are getting it sometime in 3065 or something).

I really don’t know how I feel about this at the moment so I’ll refrain from commenting too much.

EDIT: According to the Wikipedia page (not the most reliable source of information, but still), “John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, and Billy Crystal are all set to return and James Earl Jones, Gary Oldman, and Justin Bartha join the cast.”

Thanks a lot, LG, for making me snort Coke Zero out through my nose with that “3065” comment, but yeah, you’re probably right, in a so-sad-it’s-funny sort of way. Then again, y’all people over there in England got to see the final episodes of “Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends” before anyone else, so I guess we’re even.

But yeah, I don’t know quite what to say myself. I don’t know whether to be happy, or just worried. If Steve Buscemi is returning, that means You-Know-Who is returning as well, and the sequel is either going to be the culmination of a decade-old dream of mine, or my worst nightmare and the ending of my Pixar fandom. My inate skepticism can’t help but hope for the best, while expecting the worst.

pitbulllady

i hear you pitbulllady and Lizard Girl…am waiting with baited (but excited) breath!

snickers at the “furry freak” comment…What? It’s right there heh.

If Boo is going to make an appearence, she HAS to be older of course. She doesn’t have to been in her teen years or something, but older. Getting her out of the “cute” age as it were. I mean she can’t be that forever.

I’m taking a wait and see approach to this, but I’m still excited; there’s a ton of story potential here, like…

How has Boo and Sully’s relationship changed since we’ve last seen them? A possible Father-Daughter like relationship?

Mike and Celia: Are they still together? Did they get married? Do they have MONSTER KIDZ? O_o

Will Randal come back? What about Waternoose?

Is Monsters INC. still doing good business wise? IIRC, a few story elements reflected a lot of what was going on during the California blackouts and ENRON stuff. Maybe MI2 will reflect today economy and what not?

Logically Monsters Inc. will be having allot of trouble. They have an inexperienced CEO now as the head. The Waternooses would be aiming to get their business (as they had been CEOs for three generations) back, Henry Waternoose (if alive) would be having his trial.
And the use of Laugh Energy will be arguged against by the public.

Eh, there seemed to no objections to using Laugh Energy in the ending of MI1 by any of the monsters, since it’s 2 or 3 times more powerful than Screams? Unless there’s some kind of unseen consequences for using Laughs over Screams?

pixarplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2626
Like azzstar said, that would be a good idea.

Chao, think about it.
Scareing has been a tradition (and a job) since…well as far back as Monsters existed. It was still being done even before it was found to be an energy source. It is essentially something the lifestyle that Monsters are accustomed to. Scareing is a hot thing.
Then suddenly in less than a year, it is all switched to Laughter. Well actually it may not ALL be switched. Monsters Inc., and Sullivan, became sorta the guinne pig for the project. As you can see they need larger containers, something that they had to find out in testing and the like. And also many calibrations to the machinery probably had to be done, new training courses, what have you. The fact is is that it is a BIG change.

And what about those youngsters in college or such that had majored in scareing and dreamed of being one? Now because of this change, their goals are threatened.
Monsters like that will NOT like this change. Monsters who think Scareing is a tradition will NOT like this change. Monsters who STILL fear humans (toxic or not) will dislike this change.

It’s like if gasoline was replaced with whale oil (ok it probably is, but allot of people are pro-not doing that so just work with the imagery).

I like the idea of Laugh energy having bad side effects. I also think that if Randall comes back (and I think he will) his plotline would involve redemption, Mike’s involves commitment, Cecila might have a bigger part and hers will involve trusting that Mike will come through, even when he’s got bigger issues to deal with.

Boo’s will be growing up and leaving the monster world behind permanently (and who knows, maybe it’ll have some bad effects on her), and Sully’s will be moving on, of course I’d like something in his character that he misses being a scarer, the glory and satisfaction that came with it (the satisfaction being knowing he was damn good at what he did), and maybe Waternoose will be there to try and convince him to run Monster’s inc the old way and cut out the controversy. I’d also like Waternoose to get somewhat redeemed and have kind of a father/son relationship expanded on, with the added entanglement of what happens when someone you respected lets you down.

I think Mike’s wedding will end it all, and maybe Randall being Sully’s new roomate, That’d just be a funny thing to me, maybe even a scene of Randall learning to get laughter or being his old assistant’s assistant. An interesting aspect could be what happens to the scarers who can’t get laughter, I think Randall and Sully, being the top two, are going to have trouble adapting, and there they’d have conflict in the new world.

Hmm, all this and I still can’t come up with who would be the proper villain to set things off!

It would be nice to see more of Celia. She’s a very althetic person, has interests in monster rallys, it would be nice if she gets a bit more.

An interesting route would be if Sullivan slowly starts to be influenced to do things like Waternoose had. The pressure, the responsibility, everyone always looking to you…

Randall and SULLIVAN living together? chuckles Now that would be interesting.
As for the scarers…I would think there could be some negotiation that allowed both scareing and laughter. After, kids need to be scared sometimes.

That actually sounds good, but what situation would both Laughter and Scream be necessary? I like the implications of that though. Maybe Laughter causes things to overpower and go a bit haywire (televisions, vacuum cleaners, blenders, microwaves, irons, etc going on at random times would be a very bad thing) so maybe scream could kind of act as the battery to power the small things while laughter is used to keep electricity and cars and stuff going. I’m sure there could be a good explenation for why Laughter isn’t necessarily the solution.

I’ve even read a theory on TVTropes that it could harm the human world, an interesting direction to take it, and something that Boo could play into and Sully’s dilemma is Laughter is too beloved and he has to choose to help the human world or keep Monstropolis happy. I like that best, actually instead of a heated debate being the drama with that, we can get a visual with a more grown up Boo making him see the situation and having it effect him.

And I don’t know why, but the more I think about Randall and Sully playing off eachother, as rivals, friends, or frienemies, and especially if they scare as well as get laughter, I like it. Mike a Sully seemed to have cleared the air for there big issues and we know they work well, but I love the idea of a Crystal, Goodman, Buschemi threesome.

They really need to give Jeff Bridges a role in there, and we could have a mini Lebowski reunion!

Laughter MIGHT stem to be too powerful…but perhaps since ALLOT of power in the Monster World was originally calibrated for Scream, maybe it seemed to be more profitable in most forms for Scareing to stick around for convinence and have Laughter be brought in for those with comedic talents rather than scareing.
And with the below, maybe laughter could go for older kids who outgrew being scared.

In some cases, it can be. Scareing eventually lead to children being de-sensitized from the fear of the monster, so they wouldn’t be afraid anymore, or move on from it. Now, they laugh at it.

chuckles Now that I actually own The Big Lebowski, I get the jokes heh heh.

A better analogy would have been steam v.s. diesel, but I get what you’re saying. However, the switched to laughter seemed to be pretty smooth (at least for M Inc.), there was an energy crisis beforehand, you could argue that the switch to laughter created more jobs, etc.

I assume that the whole anti-laughter movement (if there was any) happened off screen, in between Sully becoming CEO and Boo’s door being restored. They never really implied how much time pasted between those two events, but assume that it must have been a couple of months.