Did Sulley and Mike do the right thing to Randall?

Did Sulley and Mike do the right thing to Randall?

• Yes they did and Randall got what was coming.
  • No and they should’ve let Randall explain.

0 voters

Near the end where Sulley and Mike banish Randall to Louisiana. Personally I think they did the wrong thing especially when poor Randall was begging for them to listen :cry: and it was also illegal. But no Sulley and Mike are hailed as heros while Randall is probably dying. :angry:

I don’t think they had any reason to listen to him- I wouldn’t listen to a guy that’s just tried to kill me- but it would definitely have been preferable for them to have handed Randall over to the police or the CDA instead of banishing him. Banishing him was the easy thing to do, but it wasn’t the right thing.

I can admit sending him to the trailer home in the swamp was one of the funniest parts, but you kind of wonder why they couldn’t have him arrested like Waternoose. Even more surprising is that it was Sulley’s idea to do it.

I’m GLAD you mentioned the begging MI2. And your in good hands knowing that.

Anyway. I’ll state this here and now. NO. They did NOT do the right thing. And they are NOT heroes for doing it.
folds arms Lets look at all this shall we. I’ll be brief. But people…take in into consideration. You don’t have to like Randall to understand these facts.

1. While lizard girl is right that they didn’t have much of a reason (probably other than mercy) to listen to him…they CERTAINLY had more time. raises brow Anybody notice how Sullivan’s holding Randall as they’re…aiming him to the door? (would have been hilarious right. If Sullivan missed and Randall plummeted floors down? Yes, I’m being a little sarcastic, but something to think about if needs be. Sorry for the image).
    Back when Sullivan got lucky and put Randall in a hold, he was holding his neck with his left hand. And when he’s doing the tossing…he has his neck in his RIGHT hand. So time had to pass for them to wait for the door to get near a platform, get off, pick a door, and somehow for Sullivan to change hands. There was MORE time than is shown. And not in any of that did neither him nor Wazowski (though not as shocked by him, he hated Randall anyway) cooled down. Randall, suprisingly, did.

2. It’s illegal. waves hand I don’t wish to hear there is not an establishment of law in the Monster World, cause there is. There are juries, there are trials. Waternoose got his, but Randall never did at all. Instead, they took the vigilante (raises brow to Pitbulllady) path, and did it themselves.

3. Randall was NOT a threat at the time. He was subdued. So WHAT would be in the harm in listening to him? chagrins I doubt though he may lie on somethings, but with his possible life on the line, he would’ve come clean.

4. He, just like Sullivan and Wazowski, were going to be labled criminals by Waternoose. Yes. A full squad of C.D.A. on the Scare Floor along with him stating that basically whomever comes out of the door vault are responsible for everything that had happened. Now, granted, Sullivan and Wazowski had no idea of this, Randall either (though he might have had an inkling), but just something to think about.

It’s just…WRONG. He wasn’t a threat at the time. If he DID get time to explain, than maybe Sullivan and Wazowski would KNOW the whole story of what went on. Heck. Randall would probably even testify against Waternoose (who would have a buckload of lawyers behind him), making the chances higher that he would get sentenced.
And it’s not a really good thing for Boo to see either. The impression of “if someone’s bullying you, bully back”. folds arms I wouldn’t be surprised if the little incident leaves the impression of having a negative effect on Boo in the future.

waves hand It’s not just Randall. Wazowski may gloat to himself about it, but what about Sullivan? At the time he ENJOYED it. Even though he was NOT protecting Boo at that time (I won’t go into “Randall was taking her back” bit). Randall was subdued, Boo was ok. Yet he STILL did the act.
Future-wise Sullivan’s gotta feel guilt about this. If he doesn’t, then he’s just soulless, which I believe he is NOT. Sullivan IS a good guy. Heck. Randall was probably in shock that Sullivan was actually doing it. He probably NEVER expected him to do such an act.

And case and point, it is likely they INTENDED him to get killed. Toss him in to a human home with the door destroyed (They had NO reason to do that. Randall CAN get back through another operational door (any monster can) though at the time Randall was on the floor bleeding at the time). Sure, break the activation light, but there was no reason to shatter the door. That just showed they hated him (at the brief moment).

shakes head It was a bad decision that is gonna affect Sullivan, Randall, AND Boo. It’s just NOT right. Sullivan’s gotta feel guilt, Randall’s gotta try to find someway to move past it, and Boo needs to understand it wasn’t right either.

It’s debateable who’s idea it was Flik-E. Sullivan’s a nice guy…but like everyone, changes when angry. At the time, Sullivan was probably busy with Randall at the time (shrugs who knows what was going on. Maybe Sullivan did a harsh “shut up” while Randall tried to contemplate his situation).
Most likely it was actually WAZOWSKI’S idea. He IS a Scare Assistant and knows more about doors than Sullivan does. And since they’ve worked for so long, maybe he picked a particular door. As stated, there WAS time that went on. And needless to say, I don’t think Sullivan would think of banishing somebody. But…my guess is since WATERNOOSE did it to THEM, and Wazowski found it miserable to begin with, that it was HIS idea. Like “Hey…they HE did it to us, lets see how he likes it!” (despite it was Waternoose).
shrugs It’s a bit conspiracy-eqsue to think Wazowski has “a bunch of doors in his head he’d like to send people he hates to”…but shrugs Ironic of which one they picked.

But bottom line. It was wrong…and all of them are going to have to come to terms with it.

*Additional
I forgot to mention about the begging. Compare it to Waternoose. When he was being taken away, he lashed out with rage. Not to mention planting the “BECAUSE OF YOU!” bomb. Needless to say, since Sullivan looked up to him kinda like a father/grandfather figure, it hurt both on the mental side and realistic side (of the factory going under).
Randall, on the other hand, was begging. If he and Waternoose were ANYTHING alike, he would have been lashing out till the end with threats. But no. He did not.

WAS it Sulley’s idea, or was it MIKE’s? We honestly don’t know, since we do not see the two of them actually discussing this. In any case, it was WRONG, period. I’ll agree with Lizardgirl here, in that they were under no obligation to listen to Randall, nor he to explain anything to them. That’s what juries, courts, judges and lawyers are for, and they DO have a judicial system in Monstropolis similar to that we have here in the US, as evidenced by Mike mentioning jury duty to another co-worker as he and Sulley enter the factory. The presence of a judicial system, and the fact that there does not seem to be mass chaos and anarchy in Monstropolis, indicates that there is a legal system in place which does NOT permit monsters to exact punishment on other monsters outside of this system, yet this is exactly what Mike and Sulley did. In our own system, two or more individuals exacting punishment, especially of a physical nature, on another individual for a real or perceived crime even has an offical name: it’s called LYNCHING. Perhaps a better question should have been, “how many of you believe that lynching is the proper way for citizens to handle those they feel are guilty of a crime?” Just the fact that the original poster stated that Mike and Sulley’s act was ILLEGAL precludes any possibility of it ever being “right”. It was an act of revenge; Randall tried to do something to them, so they “got him back”. They got even, and they showed great delight and mirth in doing so, yet no one ever mentions that fact. Sending another monster to his possible death was a game to them, something to find amusement in, and yet we’re supposed to believe that RANDALL was the only “cold-hearted” one?? Their act was NOT self-defense, so don’t even try to play that argument. “Self-defense” is legally defined as ONLY the amount of force needed to stop an attack. Randall was already under Sulley’s complete control, was no longer attacking or even attempting to fight back, so that immediate threat was nullified, making further violence against him no longer applicable to the self-defense argument, but instead constituting assault and battery on its own. Since there was obviously a system of due process in place in that part of the Monster World, Sulley and Mike were guilty of denying Randall HIS due process under the law, while Waternoose, the mastermind of the whole plot, got his. Waternoose got a trial, lawyers, a roof over his head, three square meals per day, access to medical help…and THAT is just assuming he was convicted. We’ve all seen how money can change things in a court of law(little OJ with that toast, anyone?). Randall, who was being ordered by Waternoose, got none of those. FUNGUS, who was an accomplice and who certainly showed NO remorse whatsoever when Randall brought in what he thought was “the kid”, got NO punishment at all, and was rewarded, along with Mike and Sulley, while the CDA(who HAD to have known what happened to Randall)lied like thieves and covered up the whole thing…yet we’re supposed to believe that they are the “Good Guys”, too.

To be honest, Randall DID earlier try to give them a chance to get out of this, to absolve themselves of anything that was considered wrongdoing in the Monster World…like harboring a “deadly” human child, which was the ONLY thing illegal about the whole Scream Extractor plot in the first place. The CDA was NOT concerned because of any harm or stress or cruelty they thought it would have presented to human children, but rather, to the perceived threat those CHILDREN posed to the monsters! Had there not been that component of having to bring in human children to test in the machine, there would have been no legal issue with it at all. It would be like someone in OUR world inventing an engine that ran on CO2 and was safe and efficient and cheap, solving all our problems with fossil fuels, “greenhouse gases” and high gas prices overnight…now, who WOULDN’T want that? The problem with the Scream Extractor was, of course, that this prototype was simply too big to carry around into a child’s room, so it was necessary to bring the children to the machine, at least until the technology could be proven to work, THEN the matter of making it more portable could be dealt with. First things first. Now, since WE are humans, we naturally have a tendency to feel protective of human children, plus we get to see things from Mike and Sulley’s perspective, not Randall’s. We KNOW why they had her dressed up in that purple scaly costume and why they even had her there in the factory in the first place, but he of course, does not know these things. He’s got no reason to assume that they’d be anything other than absolutely delighted to rid themselves of this liability, so he gives them that chance. Sulley refuses, because he’s grown attached to the kid, having had time to spend with her and realize that she’s not so different from a monster child, after all. Later, when Randall begs them for a chance, it’s denied. Now, I know that Sulley’s parantal instincts might have overcome his sense of morality in the heat of the moment, but then there’s that whole problem with him going on about his life afterwards, basking in the glory, and not feeling one ounce of remorse…since that really makes him out to be every bit as cold-hearted, calculating and cruel as his former rival is so often accused of being.

pitbulllady

gives an awkward look…pardon my stare MI2, I guess I’m just a slight bit bewildered by that screen name of yours…in my opinion, while I don’t consider it right for what Sulley and Mike did, if I were to honestly think about it, I would probably agree with lizardgirl, if someone did try to kill me…well, I wouldn’t be quite so sympathetic at first…then again, I was always more of the “don’t get mad, get even” type of girl anyway…although if there is something that I have learned receantly, sometimes revenge isn’t the best thing because one way or another, karma will decide to play a nice little game of reality check and make you realize that in one instant, what you thought you accomplished can be blown back in your face…of course, I’m naturally a girl with dark sins and a even darker past…makes one think twice before taking what I have to say into consideration…slight laugh it seems that now I’m just rambling…

You know a bit of an ad-bit to the fact of Randall giving them a way out…
When Randall DID learn that Wazowski was involved (to be honest, I’m unsure if he thought Sullivan had involved himself as well), he DID try to give him a way out by calling up the door and leaving Boo. They would be out before they got in too deep like he was. If Randall was even in the category of being a villain, he would not have given them a chance. And to be honest, Wazowski wanted Boo gone, and Sullivan was only starting to get really attached to her.

But Waternoose on the other hand. As soon as he knew they were involved, he banished them. He could have just taken Boo and promised he would handle things and ordered them to act natural and go back to work or the like. Since Sullivan DID have a mark of trust with the CEO, he would have believed it, and Wazowski would have just been glad it was over.

This is another differrance between the two.

Well, at least they didn’t try to kill him, unlike ABL and The Incredibles. In fact, in contrast to Sulley and Mike’s banishment, Randall got a pretty sweet deal (sure he’s facing numerous concussions but he’s still in a temperate environment). I found Randall’s fate more in line with the villain’s comeuppance in Toy Story 2, as a sort of mild ironic punishment.

pitbulllady- You kind of assume that Sulley was thinking about it cause of that smile he makes at Randall and the way he says “Looks like you’re out of a job!”. Really doesn’t seem like his character to do that, but it must have been something he unconsciencely did in the spur of the moment. But then when they had to deal with Waternoose they at least planned it through by merely tricking him into being led to the simulator. I wouldn’t be surprised though if it was actually Mike’s idea.

EDIT- Please don’t use quotes within quotes, thanks!

-lizardgirl

That is a saving grace they didn’t. Like Randall with Boo in the door vault, they had the chances to, but didn’t. Though…if they knew where they were sending him, which is still to debatable, then they had the intent of death on him.

Oh boy feels pity for Pixar Building if Pitbulllady comments on said “sweet deal”…

I did find that an interesting last thing to say to Randall Flik-E. shakes head As much as I think it really IS Mike’s idea…Sullivan saying THAT irks me. But still…“out of the job” referred to him not scareing Boo anymore (though Sullivan’s actions, although appearing helpful, would turn Boo in the end). But I HOPE it meant the starting thought that if they turned Randall over to the authorities, he might get butted from his Scarer job.

Something tells me that this conversation is going to get dangerously hostile quite fast depending on what or who comments next…which is making me wonder if some questions are better left unsaid…looks over at MI2…well, I guess we’ll find out…

Ok, so maybe I need to be more clear. What I meant is, unlike other PIXAR villains like Hopper, Syndrome, Auto, and Muntz Randall does not die at the end of the film, just subjected to standard (humorous) cartoon violence, kind of like the Prospector’s. Sure he’s in pain, but he’s a monster- he’ll live. Now, if the country people had pulled a gun on him, or if he experienced a DisneyDeath, instead of being just whacked with a shovel, then I would ]be really upset (which is why I hated Muntz’s ending). Mike and Sulley aren’t evil. If they thought that this door would kill Randall, they certainly wouldn’t leave him to his death (after all, Sulley is top scarer and most likely knows which door leads to where). Not bad, considering he did try to kill Mike and Sulley.

The whole thing is do I, personally, think that his comeuppance was justified? Yes. Unlike Waternoose, Randall did not have any sympathetic qualities (apart from being sore from stuck as #2 all the time, which is certainly disappointing but doesn’t justify his actions for lying, kidnapping, threats, and attempted murder). Randall is only out for himself, and given the situation he would do the same thing (probably worse) to Mike and Sulley. Which he did.

rubs temple Sometimes it gets that way Mistica. I feel ya on that.

What I meant was that…where he was sent…specifically…if it was other places well…shakes head Oui…would take too long to explain.
Monsters are same as humans, so placing a human in the same predicament and that’ll be the image.

Muntz…didn’t really die either if that makes you feel better. folds arms But what really made you hate Muntz’s supposed death? Was it simply because of that. Or the fact that he was shown to be a good man before?
supposed death? Was it simply because of that. Or the fact that he was shown to be a good man before?

Sulley…wouldn’t know all the doors just because he’s Top Scarer. Although they do get bonuses and are kinda semi-celeberties. But to be honest…Sulley just does his work and doesn’t think to much on it. And after a year…he wouldn’t know which door. Though considering they DESTROYED it for no real reason…might be easier. But like said. It ended a year later, and Randall still wasn’t around. He’s not dead of course, that would make Sullivan and Wazowski murderers.
And so did Waternoose, yet he got a trial. And besides. Still a crime. They weren’t acting under self-defense at the time.

OK, I see your point Nexas, perhaps within the monster laws of society, banishing Randall probably is illegal. Having said that, I’m still not convinced Randall’s punishment wasn’t morally justified.

First off, while banishment certainly isn’t common practice in Monsters Incorporated, and while what Mike and Sulley did probably is illegal, that still doesn’t mean his banishment wasn’t deserved. He and Waternoose banished them, simply on the basis that they were trying to hide up the company conspiracy of kidnapping- that’s certainly a crime in of itself and along with their unplanned banishment. Did Mike and Sulley get a trial? No. Did they a chance to explain themselves? Nope. They were thrown into the door, without another thought, in order so that they could not protect Boo.
Secondly, if Mike and Sulley’s actions weren’t justified, Randall’s definitely wasn’t. While they could argue that they were acting out of self-defense, Randall was simply being vindictive and vengeful, just because he was tired of being beaten by them. And don’t get me started on how many times Randall tried to kill them during the door sequence. And if they didn’t destroy the door at the end, he’d just come back and try to kill them again.
As for the knowing which door, my guess is as good as yours. However, like you said, it was probably Mike’s idea, who’s sole job depends on telling which door from which. And don’t say that just because he’s not good with paper work means he’s not good at his job. There’s a reason why the Top Scarer has him for his assistant. They certainly didn’t pick it arbitrarily, since there were thousands of doors that lead to children’s rooms, and theirs led specifically to the trailer.

So, personally, when I saw Randall get thrown into a door at the end of film, it didn’t have me wishing Randall should have had a lesser punishment, or that he simply misunderstood. I was laughing through the scene, thoroughly enjoyed it and thought he deserved every bit of it. [spoil]I mean, Dr. Facilier was begging to be given more time as well, but that doesn’t mean I felt sorry for him when he was killed by his Friends on the Other Side.[/spoil]

Now this is just my opinion. I’m not asking you to agree with me, I just wanted to show you my point of view.

Now with Muntz, I just thought it was way too clichĂŠ and predictable for a PIXAR film to do.

I believe every person, ‘good’ or ‘bad’, deserves the right to explain themselves. I think Sullivan had a good enough hold on Randall to allow him to explain himself without being let go, thus not bringing anyone into harm’s way. Guess Sullivan and Wazowski weren’t nice enough to allow him that much. :stuck_out_tongue: Caught in the heat of the moment, I s’pose.

Waternoose is a more sympathetic person with better qualitie than Randalls…?

-begins to laugh, VERY hard-

(Sorry. Feels mean).

Um, but that would be a no- unlike Randall Waternoose was ALWAYS the ‘bad guy’ he just PRETENDED to be nice and fatherly which makes him worse- he made Sulley love him but it’s pretty clear it’s one-sided, people forget this and seem to think Waternoose simply automaticallly ‘turned bad’ at that very moment- but no his nice guy act was just that, an act.- He didn’t automatically ‘turn bad’, he WAS always ‘bad’ during the events of the movie, he played people for suckers completely. Randall at least never did that. He was the guy in charge, the one pushing the machine to be built, he treated Randall pretty shabbily from what we see (as a likely method of control). Plus he has the banishment door he chucked Sulley and Mike through- which couldn’t be considered legal if the laws of the monster world are to make sense. It seems very likely his family has a history of messing with the law in that case then.

Plus the company would NOT have died without Waternoose- that idea is pretty silly, instead the company would have had a different CEO or he would have had to relinquish some power if things had continued.

Plus it’s just a given fact that Randall would not have been hired in the way he was. (all edgy and snappy like that), I don’t care how talented he was, he would NOT be hired in that state, especially over time, in that state he wouldn’t have got through training- he’d have been snapping at fellow students and the instructor. Plus at 24/25 (according to canon material), it wasn’t THAT long ago. Even in one of the (very few) extended canon facts which has yet to be contradicted- Randall used to be a TRAINER. SULLEY’S trainer in fact- Randall would not be made an instructor in the state he was in the movie at ALL

Granted we never SEE this other side of him, but the fact is, if the rules of their universe are to make sense- Randall could not have been like that upon being hired. He would at the very least would have had to have been able to maintain more self control than what we see.

The thing is while we DID see Waternoose’s nice side… his nice side was FAKE. FAKE folks. We have to remember that, that side of Waternoose wasn’t real- the fatherly Waternoose is not real- when he exiled Sulley and Mike, when he verbally shot down Randall, when he called the CDA on them, not knowing WHO could have had the kid at that stage, the guy who rather than BEGGING or pleading yelled in the CDAs faces “Don’t you know who I am?!”, the fact he tried to make Sulley feel terrible for selling HIM out- by saying HUGE lies about how the company was ‘dead’ because of him- THAT was the real Waternoose.- He perhaps is capable of some affection, but it’s not enough to even try and strike a deal with Sulley at all- nope he just exiles him just like that. Any affection for Sulley comes second at best… if even then.

“You’re like a father to me sir…”

I sometimes get chills at this line when I rewatch the movie I’ll admit.

This is what makes Syndrome in the Incredibles actually pretty unsympathetic to me in the Incredibles too- he was the one in charge, the one doing all this stuff, no-one pulling his strings. Plus he had no possible better purpose at ALL- just glory. At the very least, the scream extractor was on the basis of some ‘highe purpose’ probably in Randall’s eyes as well- to solve the energy crisis, as well as the glory. Granted, even Waternoose would have anincrement of want for this as well.

Waternoose is not someone particulary sympathetic to me at all- only in the case of some family pride perhaps, not to mention the fact he has clearly at the very least been taught love and companionship must come second to yourt aspirations. Waternoose is not a complete sociopath-but he definitly has more sociopathic qualities than RANDALL (and sociopaths would not be hired as workers anyway… but shoved in the family business is much more likely). Plus Waternoose was very prepared to sell out Randall- he had no way of knowing WHO had the child when he brought the CDA with him.

Basically- Waternoose only looks after number one. Even RANDALL didn’t want to kill Boo despite his bad position and being ordered to and even in his worst state- which he could have done so easily (just let her drop you know).

Even disregarding the legal stuff I don’t find it very moral justifiable- this is a mistake a lot of people make. Just because you UNDERSTAND why a person might choose an action or have the DESIRE for an action does not make it MORALLY right at all man. That’s a mistake a lot of people make. And it just isn’t in this case at all. I understand why Sulley would feel that way- someone who tried to kill him and take away Boo, a lot of people in that position would want revenge, seriously. I knopw I would be seriously tempted in Sulley’s position.

But does that make it MORALLY right? Does saying we would do the same or want to do the same make it right at all?

Nope. It doesn’t. The idea of understandability= moral correctness… well that’s a fallacy It’s a big mistake. .

It’s almost like with Randall too- I can understand how someone treated like that would act in that particular way- like uh**** by his boss and whatever, having his face rubbed into how great his rival is, having to complete this large project on top of a 9-5 job for at the very least MONTHS (less sleep/free time) , something pretty fishy regarding the whole ‘top scarer’ thing on top of the said rivals being a threat to him gaining prison time not to mention simply generally insulting him/being a jerk in Mike’s case (a case of straw breaking the camel’s back).

Over time, even the nicest person on earth wouldn’t be as nice by the end of all that at all.

Thing is- while we don’t directly see another side of Randall… the laws of the universe, whether this is an accident on Pixar’s part or not… kind of mean he HAS to not have always been that testy, edgy or snappy/prepared to kill/hurt etc on that level.

We see Randall, Sulley AND Mike smiling when the person on the ‘other side’ is about to get hurt/ is getting hurt and whatever.

This doesn’t mean they are moral right, and hardly makes them saints. But given their positions it’s kind of understandable IMO.

Thing is, given Sulley’s guilt filled personality, if he doesn’t even express the slightest bit of doubt over this action… it would be… I don’t know, not exactly in-character for me. I suspect he would indeed mentally trip himself into thinking any weird niggling feelings is simply missing Boo but… over time.

Granted Randall’s exile is pretty much like ‘Lew’s lamppost’ to me though- C.S.Lewis created the whole Narnia series when a fan asked what the heck a lamppost was doing in Narnia in his first week- the series was spawned just from that very question as he tried to answer it.

OK, I’ll bite on this one.

If you and I get into a fight, after YOU attack ME first, and I win, then I carry you up to an overpass and throw you over it into the path of oncoming traffic, where you are hit by a car and seriously injured, am I guilty of attempted murder? After all, it was a CAR, not me, that inflicted the most serious injuries, and I was NOT the driver, so am I at fault here?

To quote a certain former Alaskan governor, “You BETCHA!”

The key here is a little word called INTENT. Mike’s job was to know where the doors led. It would have been an easy matter for him to check to see that the people were at home in that trailer, which was in a part of the Human World in which humans were known to EAT reptilian scaly creatures. If Mike and Sulley knew this, or at least knew that there were humans at home, including at least one adult, they KNEW that there was a good chance that Randall would be killed, severely injured at the very least, if they threw him in there. This would be no different from the scenario I presented above. If they KNEW that he’d be attacked, then it was their INTENT for him to be killed. Even if he survived, this constitutes Attempted Murder in the First Degree in most states, because they have to have take time to plan to do this(Pre-Meditated). And, even if he DID survive, it’s not going to be without severe, debilitating and possibly life-threatening injuries that will require medical intervention, and where’s he going to get THAT? Those people didn’t want him out of their “house”; they wanted to EAT him-butcher him like a hog and cook and eat him. There is nothing fair, ethical or legal about Sulley and Mike’s decision to send him to that fate.

As for that joke about Waternoose being “more sympathetic” than Randall, I think that Mental Guru covered that pretty well. There’s an old saying, but it’s still very valid today: "A pretend friend is much worse than an obvious enemy.. It would do some of you younger folks really good to remember that, in case you ever wind up working for YOUR “Henry J. Waternoose”, as I have. It might save YOU from being played for a sucker…but seeing as how so many people are STILL of the belief that Mr. Waternoose was really just this sweet, kindly, caring old grandfather type who only “turned bad” at the end of the movie, I doubt it. Some people have to learn the hard way.

Now, consider THIS, when you start spouting off about how Randall was “just jealous because he was always in second place”, and all that. According to the “Essential Guide to Monsters, Inc.” by Disney Publishing, there were THOUSANDS of employees, in many, many diverse positions, in that factory alone. Now, out of thousands of people, hundreds of which are Scarers, you have ONE_GUY. ONE. Who is ALWAYS “Employee of the Month”, AND he “just happens” to be close friends with the company’s CEO.

And NONE of you find anything the least bit screwed up about that??? That would be like ONE kid at school who is always “Student of the Month”, and his father is the school board president. If you find that OK, it’s because you ARE that kid, because no one else in their right mind would. Randall had a REASON to be ticked off. I know I sure would be raising all Hades and then some if I worked there! There is simply no logical reason for that to happen, unless something very unethical was going on behind the scenes. Simple probability is against it. Unless everyone else who worked there was so lousy, there’s no way that one guy could be THAT good.

Randall was NOT just “in it for himself”. He obviously believed that what he ws doing was going to “revolutionize the Scaring Industry”, thus making energy more available and affordable to all. His only “kidnapping” was unintentional, of Mike, and if Mike had not felt the need to show off and prove Sulley wrong, THAT would not have happened. Given how monsters saw human children, not as equals but as lower animals, and dangerous ones at that, you cannot hold any monster accountable for failing to give a human child the same considerations that WE would. For Randall to have taken a child to test in that machine, from a MONSTER perspective of accountability would be comparable to one of our own scientists using a rat in a lab experiment. When you consider that MIKE wanted to abandon Boo “in the wild”, where she would certainly have died, and even Sulley treated her like an abandoned puppy, spreading newspaper on the floor for her, it’s clear that NO monsters really had any clue what human children were like. Randall also did not “lie”, unless you can count letting Mike go on believing that the reason for Randall being on the Scare Floor at night was because he was “cheating”. He WASN’T. The Scream Extractor was NOT hooked up to the Scare Board, and none of the experimental screams collected via that machine would have counted towards his total at all, and indeed, had nothing to do with the Scream Record at all. Randall’s record as a Scarer would not have benefitted in any way, shape or form from the machine’s existance. Randall only resorted to attempted murder when ORDERED to do so by the wonderful, kind, sweet, grandfatherly Mr. Waternoose, and by this point, considering everything else he’d been through, it’s easy to understand how someone can be driven to that point. When you consider how easily Waternoose chose to “banish”, no doubt to die, his close friend, how do you think hed have treated Randall, someone he obviously did not like at all? What would YOU do, in that same situation, given a choice between taking someone else’s life, someone you believed was out to harm you in some way, and being killed yourself? How many of YOU have ever had to make such a choice? If you haven’t, then you’re in no position to really answer that question, are you? How you THINK you would act is often not the same as how you really would, if push came to shove. Randall had that choice, and he had no reason to doubt that his own life was on the line. He did, however, still have compassion for the one innocent party in all this: Boo. He had been ordered to kill her, too, BUT he doesn’t. She was of no use to him anymore; the Scream Extractor had been destroyed. So, then, why does this allegedly evil-to-the-core monster spare her life, and not only that, but actually prevents her from falling to her death when she begins to slip from his grip?

pitbulllady

sitting on a stoop and watching
Sorry if you topic gets heated MI2. I mean it’s not like we haven’t informed before and had a hard time. Just hope you don’t feel like you opened a can of worms here or something. blinks Though to be honest the can was open to begin with heh.

I was just rewatching that part of the movie again and remembered that Mike wasn’t able to catch up with Sulley and Boo when they beat Randall, so I guess on the way down he was probably telling Sulley “Hey, I know what to do with him…”. So yeah, it does seem more like something Mike would think of doing.

Good addition Flik-E. I had forgotten, that means there was even more time at hand.