What do YOU think got Bigfoot, Lockness, and Yeti banished?

So what does it take to get a monster banished from their world? It’s obviously the ultimate form of punishment for a monster and it very well may translate as THEIR version of the death sentence! So, what could these three monsters possibly have done to screw up so horrendously that they were chucked into the human world? We see that letting a child into their world hadn’t been done before (Sulley and Mike were the first to do this, thank you very much!), so this wouldn’t apply to the previously banished monsters. Go crazy with your theories–I’m sure those will be as interesting to hear as the more serious ones!

BTW, I think Yeti only lost his marbles and became more obnoxiously optimistic about his situation AFTER the banishment to cope and avoid complete insanity from isolation and living in the roughest environment imaginable!

Hmm…
I think maybe Bigfoot was a clumsy monster like Needleman and he wasn’t just banished, he got locked out and MI just decided he]was worthless and left him there essentialy banishing him. No one can find him because he’s affraid of humans because he was “banished” before Monstropolis found out humans weren’t poisonous.
I made that up as I went…

Monster inc 2: The revenage of monsters.
That would be a good sequel.

Good one! I never had mulled the idea of a monster actually locking himself out into the human world by accident!

What if none of the three monsters had worked for MI though? Since we don’t know much else about their banishment, they could have done something else incredibly stupid and/or dangerous that didn’t involve human doors! Maybe some other crime or behavior that could have jeopardized their world. Or perhaps they accidentally stumbled upon a well-kept secret or conspiracy just like Mike and Sulley did with the SE. The Abominable Snowman doesn’t strike me as the criminal or morally corrupt kind, so I think this might have been the case with him, at least.

More “revenge” sequels. :unamused:

Those are very interesting questions, DL. I’ll sure have to think that over for quite a while, but I can’t wait to tell you all my theory…if I can think of one that actually sounds reasonable.

I like Martin’s idea of Bigfoot locking himself out accidentally. My question about Bigfoot is, is he like, immortal or something? There’s been sightings of him for quite a while now.

I couldn’t think of a better title :unamused:

Well why do we automatically assume Bigfoot is alone? How do we know that there isn’t a Mrs Bigfoot? Maybe Mr Bigfoot is in Witness protection, and his whole family moved out of Monstropolis.

Hmm, that’s interesting, too. It reminds me of Zoo Tycoon, where you can buy Bigfoots (male and female) for your zoo. xDDD

You can buy Yetis too! :laughing:

Oh, yeah. Having a female Yeti, Bigfoot, and even a male Loch Ness Monster in your zoo can be so hilarious, for absolutely no reason at alll:

And now, back on topic…(xD)…I think Martin’s theory is the best so far.

And back off-topic…(xDDD)…bawcppwnaskfsomethingsomethingsomething, I love your new avatar. xD

Good question, DoubleLatte! And I like the ideas and theories that have been discussed so far.

The idea of the Abominable Snowman locking himself out by accident does seem very feasible, since he does seem like such a nice guy, and it’s hard to imagine him having done something seriously wrong, like murdering another Mon.

I know it’s pretty unlikely, but I’ve always had the idea in the back of my mind that perhaps he was banished because of something to do with Waternoose. I think it’s pretty feasible that the Abominable Snowman had been a Scarer, since he’s definitely got the physical features for the job! There’s also the fact that there have been supposed sightings of him in other places apart from the Himalayas, so if he had been a Scarer, then that would explain that.

And the door that Waternoose pushed Mike and Sulley through seems to be one that he has used more than once. He knew the number of it off by heart, and the Himalayas seems like the ideal place for a Mon to be banished.

So, my theory is that perhaps Waternoose asked the Abominable Snowman to get involved in all of his illegal activies, something went wrong along the way- perhaps he refused to get involved, and because he knew too much, therefore had to be banished- and Waternoose banished him.

This is, of course, just a very unlikely theory. :laughing: There could be many explanations, and it seems strange to me that the Abominable Snowman didn’t, at some point, explain to Mike and Sulley about his own situation, or were asked about it by either of them.

I like that story, LG!

One thing: If Yeti knew Waternoose, wouldn’t he probably have mentioned it to Mike and Sulley? Also, why didn’t Yeti go with Mike back to Monstropolis?

A113- To be honest, even if my theory was way off the mark, I still would’ve expected Mike and Sulley to have at least asked the Abominable Snowman why he’d been banished. I guess perhaps there just wasn’t enough screen time for the story to go off into a little subplot, and it also isn’t relevant to the progression of the story that we’re being told, so Pixar thought it made sense to leave it out.

And as for the Yeti not returning with Mike, well, he said how much he loved the Himalayas himself! “Wasteland? You mean wonderland!”

Oh, yeah, he loves snow so much, he dresses like it! xDDD

It doesn’t really matter if a theory sounds too unlikely or outlandish. That IS the fun of it, after all! Plus, those make for really good discussion starters.
I’m guessing Yeti was just so pleased to have his own kind around that he didn’t bother really getting into many details–apparently, he was just interested in being a good host!
Also, your theory about the Himalayas door being used repeatedly for banishments definitely sounds likely! I’m thinking this is how Yeti came to meet Bigfoot before he travelled off to the wamps or woody areas, where most of his sightings have been reported, to escape the blistering cold and fashion himself poison ivy diapers to wear on his head. But that leaves me wondering about Nessie and how he might have traveled from the snowy mountains of the Himalayas to end up in the Lock Ness lake in Scotland. =p
Maybe the door to the Himalayas is not the only one used for banishments. There may be a few other doors leading to separate places, such as an impenetrable swamp or any other location in our world that provides the roughest environment possible so as to minimize the chances of survival by a monster.

Maybe Mike went after Sulley just moments after and Yeti didn’t catch him by the time he came back from making snow cones. OR Yeti probably had his reasons not to go back with Mike. There are a bunch of theories going around in my mind as to why he wouldn’t want to go back! Unlike Sulley, Yeti might not have had a strong enough reason to try to get back to his world or might have been too afraid to do so. Maybe the situation he had gotten himself into in his world was enough for him to realize that he had gotten off easy with banishment. Maybe his misfortune was a result of a sheer accident and now he “knows too much” for comfort and someone decided it was too risky to keep him around the Monster world. Now I feel like this is going to turn into a mob thing–Yeti was afraid of getting whacked or something if he went back. =P

Yeti strikes me of being more of a maintenance guy or something minimal rather than a Scarer if he did work at MI. He’s got the right build to make a good Scarer; however, that may not necessarily apply to his abilities and he might have actually ended up being worse than Phlegm!

Ever since I saw that scene, I will always keep believing that he fooled himself into thinking that the place he was banished to truly really was wonderful in order to keep himself from breaking down like his buddy bigfoot!

DoubleLatte- I think you’re on the right lines with there being more than one banishment door- that definitely explains creatures such as the Loch Ness Monster, since it is rather a distance from the Himalayas to Scotland! :laughing:

I think that perhaps on deciding what door to banish Mike and Sulley in, Waternoose didn’t just chuck them through any old banishment door; if we go with the idea of there being more than one banishment door, then there could most likely be one in the middle of the Sahara desert, but I think Waternoose decided to banish Mike and Sulley to the Himalayas simply because he knew they would be able to survive it. I mean, look at Sulley; he’s absolutely covered in thick fur, and he didn’t seem perturbed by the cold at all. It shows that Waternoose really did regret banishing his Top Scarer.

Lol, I like the idea of the whole mob thing concerning the Yeti! And yes, although he most certainly has the build to be a Scarer, I think he also seems just a bit too nice to be one. I know all Mons considered humans to be ‘dangerous’ and everything, but even when referring to the little village near his cave in the Himalayas, the Abominable Snowman did seem very fond of it. He might just be a little too soft-hearted to be a Scarer.

Finally, referring to the Yeti convincing himself that he likes where he has been banished too- that’s a great idea! I never thought of it like that! He doesn’t want to go crazy, so he’s convinced himself that he’s happy- it makes perfect sense!

And, is it just me, or did the Abominable Snowman have a bit of an insane look in his eyes at times… :laughing:

It can’t just be you if I also noticed that hint of crazyness in him! Like he was trying so hard to hold it together by being flowers and sunshine. =P
Ditto on the door leading to the Sahara desert! I’ve tried to think of the most extreme and impenetrable places in which a door could be placed, and the Sahara desert was one of those places that popped up in my mind as well. How about the Copper Canyon down in Mexico as well? =P
It makes so much more sense for a monster to actually know what lies beyond a banishment door–this why I rethought my idea that Mike and Sulley simply picked a door at random when they chucked Randall inside. Maybe there was another door leading to the swamps that Waternoose knew about, only not through a human home. Maybe the real motive behind a banishment is not for a monster to die right away, but to survive long enough for insanity to set in from the isolation and/or starvation. I think that they also pick the places carefully to suit a monster’s physical characteristics so that they’re not easily spotted by humans, such as Yeti being tossed into the Himalayas so that his white fur would also provide camouflage and Bigfoot being sent to the swamps so that he could be mistaken for a species from our world that already live in that environment. Nessie could have been dumped into the Lock Ness lake because of his fins! And also because the incredibly murky waters provide very little visibility at deeper depths.
I think the monsters who do have the authority to perform banishments (I doubt CEOs of power companies also serve as law enforcement figures =P)already have enough knowledge about our world to decide where to a banish a monster to. They choose the environment that seems appropriate for a certain monster to lessen the risk of being discovered by a human. It would have been a little suspicious to see these really odd creatures popping up randomly in people’s homes upon their banishment–this is why chucking Randall in through an occupied human home was an incredibly impulsive and dumb idea on behalf of Mike and Sulley! They were just lucky that the occupants weren’t particularly bright enough to realize Randall wasn’t an alligator. =P

Especially not one as on the wrong side of the law as Waternoose, lol!

You’re exactly right there- the one thing all of these myths and ‘sightings’ of strange creatures have in common are that the creatures do always seem very suited to their environment.

I guess with Mike and Sulley banishing Randall to a swamp through a house, (or, rather, a trailer) maybe they just didn’t know any of the banishment door codes. I can imagine them, after having caught Randall, opening a few doors to find one suitable- one that doesn’t lead to anywhere else so Randall wouldn’t be able to return immediately- and then deciding that a swamp would be a good idea, especially since Randall seems suited to that sort of environment (though in reality, he probably wasn’t).

The only problem with that theory is that it implies that unless Mike and Sulley actually went into the trailer, then outside into the Human World to actually see what the environment was like, they wouldn’t have realised that the trailer was situated in a swamp- why should it be? I guess they could’ve quickly looked out of one of the windows or something, but the way they banished Randall made it look like they themselves had never entered the door in the first place, and were just chucking Randall through it.

It also could’ve just been a lucky pick!

But now I’m diverging from the original topic. :laughing: So, back on topic, I still think that Waternoose could easily have been the cause for some, if not all the banishments mentioned- Big Foot, the Yeti, etc.

I’m also going to nitpick that idea- if Waternoose privately banished them because they did something wrong in his grand scheme, why would anyone else know about it? And therefore, why would Mike say what he said in the film about these banished monsters? If Waternoose had done it himself, then he might’ve started off a rumour that Big Foot or Yeti had just gone missing randomly or something, since banishment without consent is surely an illegal activity, and this would turn the trail away from him. Therefore, the banishments must’ve been official, performed by the proper authorities, so my idea doesn’t stack up.

I think he would have fared better in a tropical environment like a desert island so he could be mistaken as an exotic species of lizards if he were ever to be spotted by passing boats. =p I meant to say “suited” not in survival terms, but as in a monster that could easily be mistaken as being wildlife or objects pertaining to that environment, such as alligators in the swamps and logs sticking out of the Lock Ness lake that could be mistaken as long necks. This is another thing I find creepy about these banishments; maybe the monsters know more about our world than they let on in the movie. paranoid

Exactly! That’s why I had my doubts about Waternoose having done all the banishments. Since Mike knew about them, then I think it is safe to assume that it was widely held knowledge that both Lock Ness and Bigfoot were officially banished. He never mentioned Yeti though. Like I said, maybe Yeti was unfortunate and insignificant enough to have stumbled upon Waternoose’s plan somehow about a year or so back before the duo did, and was chucked out into the Himalayas illegally and his absence wasn’t noticed or given a second thought. Maybe if Yeti had done something of his own accord or big enough to get the attention of authority figures and gotten an official banishment, then maybe Mike would have remembered to mention Yeti. Banishment sounds like such a severe punishment that I don’t think they hand it out like candy, so the two monsters who did get banished are known about and remembered. I do believe that Waternoose may have known the Himalayas door number by heart because he had already used it once before–on Yeti! Waternoose may have given himself the same liberty of banishing Sulley and Mike because he had access to these doors and because they happened to be his own employees.
I’m still trying to come up with something for Nessie. =p

I’m still VERY strongly of the opinion that Mike and Sulley threw Randall into that trailer KNOWING that it was occupied, and that he’d very likely be brutally attacked by the humans inside(which he was). They knew that THEY had managed to make it back to the Monster World, and wanted to make sure that Randall would have no chance of doing so at all, nor of surviving in the Human World for any length of time. That door was not a “banishment” door, just an ordinary door, and since Mike would have been familiar with various doors to kids’ rooms as part of his job, he likely would have recognized that particular door as leading to Louisiana. On that same topic, Randall is NOT at ALL adapted to living in a swampy environment; he lacks any physical adaptations to such a place, such as webbed hands and feet, a flattened lateral body shape for swimming, an armor-plated hide for protection against predators, etc. He is actually well-designed for an ARBOREAL lifestyle, in the trees or on the sides of steep mountains, where his prehensile tail and gripping toe/finger pads come into play. Even if he survived the human attack, he would be very physically inept at surviving in the swamps of Louisiana, with the alligators and venomous snakes and leeches, without help.

The “banishment” door that Waternoose uses is probably the only one in the factory, and IT would have been illegal. Banishment, as I understand it, is a punishment to be carried out by a court of law, or a judge, following a trial for some crime or another. Obviously, just as is the case here in OUR world, there would be monsters who gain illegal access to such doors to use against their enemies, to intimidate others, etc. We have crime bosses and other unsavory characters here, who use means normally restricted to law enforcement or military in order to enforce their own “rules”. It would make NO SENSE at all if any monster who had a gripe with another monster could simply acquire a banishment door to some remote part of the Human World and chuck anyone they didn’t like through it, and I’m sure that from a legal standpoint, this was NOT the case at all. Waternoose, like many of his human counterparts, though, obviously believed that he was above the law and that his money and name made him impervious to punishment, and he used that illegal door to maintain control over others, including in most all likelihood, Randall. As for whether or not Waternoose was the one who “banished” the Yeti, or if he got banished through the judiciary system, we don’t know. He didn’t know Mike or Sulley, nor they him, so apparently he had never worked at the factory. It still does not answer the question as to WHAT he could have done to merit banishment, but then, it’s possible that as(again)is the case here in the Human World, there were/are monsters who are unjustly convicted of crimes and punished for things they didn’t do. It is also very possible that while WE tend to think in terms of violent crimes getting a monster banished, things like assault, robbery, etc., banishable crimes could have also including “white collar” crimes, like imbezzling money, or betting on professional sports in places(like South Carolina, for instance)where that is illegal, so a monster would not have necessarily had to have done something awful to get banished.

pitbulllady