Favorite Part/Moment in "Monsters Inc."

I’m

rather surprised that this topic of discussion hasn’t been mentioned yet…

[b]What is your

favorite part/moment in Monsters Inc.?[/b]

Of course, you may list

more than one…if you prefer. Here is my list:

[b]Boo in the

Bedroom/Apartment[/b] - A very complimenting, tender moment in the film, I think. It’s both

hilarious…due to Sulley and Mike’s frantic antics to keep as far away from Boo as possible whilst trying to

keep her from destroying their complex in the process, and it’s sweet…as Sulley begins to realize that Boo is

one child who may not be as dangerous as was previously thought. I just love how the animators captured the

(aparent/external) innocence of Boo in that they made her believable as a kid – they really made her act like a

young, mischevious four year old.

The Hands of the Clock - "The big

hand is pointing up, and the little hand it pointing up! The kid’s door will be in my station. But when the big

hand points down, the door will be gone. You have until then to put the kid back.

Get the picture?" Yes, I have to admit that I was laughing quite a bit in this particular scene for some

reason…but it conveyed alot of tense emotions within/to its audience, as well. Mike’s obvious naivity and

nervous attitude generated a few giggles from viewers, but this scene is also a climax of the film…in a way:

Mike only has so much time to set things strait before Randall does something about the situation; however,

handing Boo over to the guy would jeopardize the little girl’s life (and even though Mike didn’t really care

about the latter at first, Sulley did…making the situation even more complicated). It leaves the audience

questioning: What will happen next? or [i]What will the character do

about the situation?[/i]

Departure - Here I am referring to the

moment where Sulley departs from Boo for what he thinks will be the last time. I think the one thing that really

“made” this scene work was that the Pixar crew didn’t make Sulley cry outright…but rather hint on

it. And Boo’s last questioning sentence of “Kitty?” pretty much sealed the heartfelt

moment.

And yes, Randall lovers, I did laugh when Mr.

Boggs got hit by the shovel. I don’t laugh as hard as I used to after reading some of your posts, but I still

think it kinda funny… (snigger)

Your turn!

My Favorites:

[b]"Door

System" [/b] - Not really one specific part, but the whole “door system” made me want

to but one of those high-tech closet doors! :wink: The “Library of Doors” at the end was also visually

stunning.

Harryhauesen’s - I probably spelled it wrong, but this sequence

made me laugh so hard! Especially when Boo shouts “BOO!” at everyone and

they all proceed to panic! Such irony…

:laughing:

Winds of Change- A great quote and a great moment for any Randall

fan, of course. :smiley:

At the SE- When Randall has caught Mike instead of Boo by

accident. A line that always makes me laugh, no matter how many times I hear it, is when Randall says, 'this kid

needs to take off a few pounds!’ It’s just the way he says it, with that accent, it just sounds so funny. :laughing:

And the scene just gets better and better, with Mike’s strange yet hilarious bargaining- '…I’ll give you a

ride in my car!’ And the best screencaps of Randall can be found from pausing just after Randall laughs and

says, “You still this is about that stupid scare record?!” And when he climbs over that control

panel… :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, when Wazowski is talking to Roz, those scenes are generally funny. Her reaction to him

is just priceless!

I think one of my favorite parts in

Monsters Inc: is the scaring job that all of the monsters did. I found it intresting to see how they all work.

Also, the door rolicoaster was really cool too.

Mitch

Heh. Funny as

how Boo wasn’t suppose to be too cute in the previous installments heh.

And interesting bit I must admit.

I enjoy the scene as well. Two reasons mainly, which help with Randall’s image. One being is how hurt (split

moment) and surprised he was at being accused of cheating by Wazowski. The fact he started to defend himself on

the matter shows he hates being labeled as a cheater.
Second in that he DOES have at least some degree of

anger control when Wazowski answers a REALLY easy question (one that a cough long-term scare assistant should

EASILY have gotten right) wrong. Though the second time Wazowski gets another easy question wrong you can’t

really blame him :unamused:

As long as ya don’t laugh when ya see him banged up I won’t be stabbed as well

heh…

Gasduude

Really makes you wonder how those Door Vaults are

designed. And given there are other Scare suppliers out there, you can’t help but wonder who manufactures all

these seemingly endless doors.

Close. Hard spelling that place.

[b]Lizard

Girl[/b]
You know I have been a friend of Ran’s since the start, and yet I enjoy that scene but I

don’t know why heh.

Showing Ran does have something other than dry humor heh. Probably one of the only

moments you see him smile right after that heh.

Personally unsure which scenes I enjoy

myself…haven’t watched the film in so long since I know the ending and it kinda hurts to experience some

things again…

There are tons of great moments in this movie, but I have a clear

favourite:
It’s the final shot before the end credits, when Sulley opens the fixed door and looks into Boo’s

room, she says “Kitty!” and Sulley gets the happiest smile in the world on his face.

I think the

movie should have ended right after that. The end credit with the outtakes and company play sequences

are funny, but they kinda spoil the mood here.

Actually the original releases, if

I recall, didn’t have the extras, so the ending was really the ending for the first movie.

Not sure about

the play…if that was…no no…I don’t think the play was in the first batch…

Ted-Because of the whole Godzilla

parody-age. Wish they were able to use the roar.

Put that thing back where it came from, or so help me- I

actually would pay money to see a full version of it on stage. Hey, they made a musical out of a Pixar movie with

no songs already(Nemol), why not expand on an in-movie musical, however farcical it may be.

"We use

Spoons"-just a funny scene with Mike’s plans to get rid of Boo ASAP.

Yeah,

and when he says, ‘Say hello to the Scream Extractor…’ That cheesy grin is gorgeous! :laughing: And I love how

Pixar added a bit of detail that us Randall fans use to prove all of our theories- just after Randall says that,

he turns around and that grin is wiped away instantly, to show how he really feels.

There’s actually

quite a few bits in the film that you can’t help but ask this question- why did they include it if they wanted

Randall to look like and out and out villain? And at other parts, you end up thinking, why did they include this

if they wanted Mike and Sulley to seem like the good guys? Especially concerning Mike- there are so many parts

with Mike that show just how much his co-workers really dislike him! Like when George is in the locker room, and

Mike passes by saying, ‘have you seen Sulley?’ Mike is obviously distressed, yet George and his scare assistant

have a good laugh at his expense. Now, THAT makes me laugh! :laughing:

Haha – that’s actually one of the only times I

liked Randal in the film: when he did that grin. I thought it was rather adorable…if I dare say so.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Knowing the Pixar crew (and pretty much any company, for that matter) there had to be a villaneous-type

character in the film that audiences will see as the antagonist. Now, I’m not saying anything against Mr. Boggs

or you Randal fans out there; I’m just stating a possible explaination for the cause. (heh)

What I also love

was the ending musical. I thought it was really cheezy, but hey, it was a really good idea. But you have to

admit, it was kinda ironic.

Lol, I know this sounds as though this is turning into a bit of a bash-fest against Mike, (although I don’t

mean for it to be), but the company play, although really funny at parts, once again annoys me, since Mike acts

as though he was all brave when it all happened, when really he was a real

coward.

Mitch- I think you misunderstood me, a little. What I meant was that,

yes, Randall is meant to be the main villain, but there are many parts in the film that actually make the

audience question if he is the main villain or not, and there are parts that sort of make the audience sympathise

with him a little more than is usually intended. Pixar were the ones who didn’t

present him as the out-and-out villain. I was just quite curious as to why Pixar did this, instead of going down

the obvious route and not including anything that would allow the audience to be able to relate to

Randall.

Anyway, back on topic, I also love the combination of the beginning graphics and scene. I love

how they included that whole 2D effect door thing, with very jolly music, to set the tone and ensure that the

kids realise that this is a fun movie, and then they got down all nitty gritty with the scene in the room

simulator. It always comes as a real surprise to people who haven’t seen the film before, when Bile trips over

and makes a laughing stock out of himself! :laughing:

lizardgirl - Ohh…I see what you mean now. Heheh – my

apologies. :blush:

Mitch- Don’t worry- I have a little tendency to blabber on but not actually be

clear about what I’m saying. :laughing:

lizardgirl - Heheh – sounds like we have something in common. (snigger) That’s

perfectly fine with me! :wink:

Another part I love is when Roz slams her office window door on Mike’s

fingers. And Mike had the nerve to just walk up to Roz and try and act all cool… Kinda funny, 'cause my mom

slammed the car door on my fingers once…so I know exactly what that feels like. :stuck_out_tongue:

And probably the most heart touching moment is at the very end where Boo goes

“Kitty” and the whole place is filled with tears, fluff, and compassion.

Yeah, it was great…

Showed so little, but (sobs) showed so

much!

(crys)

I asked all of my friends and they all agreed. That one

moment has to be the most powerful of all of the Pixar movies.

Lizard Girl

And if anybody looks at the play pamphlet (word err) that

comes with the movie, you can notice that Wazowski takes it all out of proportion and claims himself with the

most credit, leaving nearly everyone, even Sullivan, out.

Here’s an interesting bit, FOR YOU

ALL.
Now…before the movie changed, Randall WAS a “good guy”. Having his Top Scarer position. Now,

he was still a bit stubborn and at times rude, but he WAS shown as a good guy.
Now…WHY did the story change

drastically? From a, if I recall, tomboyish kid who stepped into the world and caused trouble, to a Scream

Extractor conspiracy with a little sweet girl as a victim…

My pitch. Esiner. The trouble making CEO of

Disney. And Pixar and Esnier had itself a go-at-each-other. Which lead to the possible break of both

parties.

Could it be that, in a whimsickle way, that Pixar could be taking a secret stab at their

situation?
They sneaked in bits to show Randall WASN’T a villain, to sneak it past Esiner, who made the

changes (or rather whomever made the changes).
And it even can go a bit farther to symbolize Waternoose as

Esnier and Randall as, in a way, Pixar.

Heck, you may think I’m going out of my way, but I’ve heard

postive accounts of M.I. being a movie watched and studied in the buisness world.

Let that settle

in…don’t question…just…let it settle into the idea jar…

As for the ending…seriously leaves

it open.
I wasn’t really emotionally moved…though I did love how Pixar made the…ahem…ending that they

could. They did well.

Nexas- Although I like your

ideas, there is (unfortunately) absolutely no proof in the film itself that Randall was ever previously Top

Scarer. I’ve gone through the whole thing, and I just can’t find anything to indicate this.