Voice for Bullseye?

I just heard the TS2 DVD commentary for the first time (I know, it took me long enough, huh?) and John Lasseter said that the original plan was to have Bullseye speak, but it was ultimately decided to have him be a pantomine character so that he would seem more like an animal. And granted, it does work for TS2, but I think it would have been a great help in making him a lot less useless in the third film. So, what are your thoughts on Bullseye originally having a voice and who would you have chosen?

I for one am glad Bullseye didn’t get a voice. His puppy-like characteristics are what make him a unique part of the gang. I don’t think that the movies would have been affected too much if he was given a voice, however, but the statement you brought up about it making him more useful especially in Toy Story 3, is a good point. But overall, I like how he is loyal and playfull, much like a puppy :smiley: and his whinnies and whines are what make him a lovable character.

Martin Short was originally considered for Bullseye, but Bullseye is Bullseye - a silent, lovable horse who’s really a puppy dog. His muteness is what makes him as lovable as a real horse, and him glaring at Lotso and his frantic, scared face in the incinerator scene really pack more of a punch, since we really only know him as the silent and loyal type.

I think Bullseye played a good sized role in Toy Story 3. He helped capture Demo Mode Buzz, got Potato Head his tortilla and his old body, and let the others ride him like a real horse! I loved seeing the LGM’s, the Three Amigos, riding Bullseye on the playground. Bullseye doesn’t need to talk, in my opinion!

A speakiing Bullseye would have just been a burden on an already massive cast in TS3. if he were to talk I assume they would have had to cut at least one new side character. Even Jessie didn’t get to do much and she is known to be quite vocal.

I’ve learned about Bullseye having a voice from the Toy Story 2 DVD features, but it wasn’t until I found the original script for the movie in one of the topics here [url]http://www.raindance.org/site/picture/upload//image/general/movies/toy_story_2.pdf[/url] that I really got some idea of what his character would have been like. He seemed to remind me a bit of Chatter Telephone in Toy Story 3, probably because that character came off as someone knowing the ins-and-outs of the place and wanting to break out, which is similar to the role Bullseye would have played in that older plot.

I think Bullseye is better not talking though, even though as a toy he could talk like everyone else.

Wow, that connection just dawned on me… it seems like they did recycle that idea, as Pixar is famous for.

In the final sequence of Toy Story 2, Bullseye wasn’t meant to speak, and his body language was enough. Toy Story 3 would’ve been different if that was the case. He wouldn’t necessarily be the wise one in the group, because afterall, he is just a hourse. Though, I still wouldn’t see him having much of a role, except with maybe a conversation with Woody as he’s leaving.

You do kind of have to wonder what determines which toys talk and which ones don’t in the films. The real reason would be that the creators thought it was best for the character, but I mean as far as the internal rules of that universe that the characters are in. Some are obviously easy such as Mr. Spell and Etch because they don’t have a mouth, but when it comes to animal toys what determines Bullseye as non-speaking compared to Slinky Dog or Buttercup? Slinky could easily be seen as non-speaking also when you look at him as a pet.

Well, the character revision definately made Slinky for “cartoony,” so I’m not as surprised that he talks, but nevertheless, a very good point. Lenny is the biggest obstacle; he doesn’t have a mouth! Chatterphone also has a mouth painted on, but is limited to talking through his phone. I guess up until Toy Story 2, ANY toy was capable of talking (unless someone can prove me wrong).

I think the best “in context” explanation for why Bullseye the Toy doesn’t talk is because Bullseye the Character from “Woody’s Roundup” didn’t talk, and the toy was based on the TV character.

Slinky Dog was a toy, but not based off an existing character from a TV show, so there was no internal “rule” about what his personality should be, or whether he could talk. We don’t know if Buttercup is based on a TV character or not, but if he is, he’s probably from a “My Little Pony”-esque cartoon show where all the pretty horsies and unicorns talk.

You’re right, I forgot that.

It’s okay, I just listened to it in June. I had only a VHS and broken VCR until then. :blush:

But yeah, it would be really weird if he did talk. I prefer the idea of him as like a pet more than another lead.

Yeah, me too

I’m glad that the decided to have him not speak, it makes him appear more doglike. I have no idea as to who would voice him, but I always like it when Pixar employees voice characters.

My vote would have went to Stretch!

I’m not sure if Buttercup can be considered an ‘animal’, though (unicorns are fantasy creatures).

^… but I thought unicorns were real…

According to The Art of Toy Story 3 book, Chatterphone’s mouth is a sticker.

I like that he dosen’t have a voice, it give’s him more of a horse personality.