Toy Story's Deleted Scenes

I’m trying to make a listing of all the deleted scenes from Toy Story. I’ve always been curious about how it might’ve turned out.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rv0xWBs1 … re=related
The two well-know deleted scenes

youtube.com/watch?v=O3f1qmPlWBo
Here’s Woody’s Nightmare

viewtopic.php?t=6284&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=deleted+scene&start=0
An alternate opening sequence was described here, but not in detail.

youtube.com/watch?v=VdSqSSKd … re=related
6:13-6:17 Can’t really see what’s happening, does anyone know? I’m pretty sure Sid’s knocking down the Pizza Planet display, but what are the kids doing?

Judging from that storyboard, it seems like they originally wanted to have a guy walking around in an alien costume like one of those Chuck E. Cheese’s mascots, which explains why the kids are walking away with him and what Sid’s “Hey Bozo, you got a brain in there?” line was really referring to. They probably didn’t use it cause maybe it would have been too difficult at the time.

The original opening sequence (with an early incarnation of Zurg) was one of the storyboarded deleted scenes featured on the DVD. It was meant to be in traditional cel animation as a Buzz Lightyear cartoon that Andy was watching on TV.

I can’t confirm this one, but one time I was watching a video on YouTube and I read a comment claiming that Sid had an extra line in the original theatrical release of Toy Story where he turns to Scud and says something like “Did you see that? That was so sweet!” after he blows up Combat Carl. It probably would have happened some time before Bo Peep’s line “The sooner we move, the better.” but I can’t exactly tell from watching it now if something was cut out there or not.

Oh, I remember that from what I was a kid, it was put on the Read-Alone tape.

Just so everyone knows, I’ve finally seen that infamous “Black Friday” storyboard from the Blu-Ray on YouTube: [url]- YouTube

All I can say is, wow… that was just horrible. This is exactly the kind of thing that happens when you let people at Disney tell you how to make your story. I’m so glad they changed this scene (and Woody) for the better. I did like the Goodwill reference though.

Edit: I also found the alternate opening of the film that Dinoco mentioned (there’s actually two different openings). The first one has the early Zurg in it, and the other is closer to the final version.

[url]- YouTube

[url]- YouTube

I actually didn’t think that was too bad, except for Rex being somewhat confident, slink being so rude, and of course Woody was a little too mean to Slinky. But of course, had they gone that way with Woody, I’m sure he would;ve changed from something…and I finally know what woody doesnt deserve! haha

I would actually say it was Slinky who was a little mean and Woody who was the rude one, and I mean really rude.

Yeah, that was completely uncalled for. I mean, in the final film, Woody wasn’t exactly innocent, but things just went a lot worse then he planned. What Woody did here was out of the same selfishness, but he did this without a single care about what happened to Buzz. And he had no remorse as well, which all of the sudden made Woody into somewhat of an anti-hero. Woody’s slanderous ways also didn’t help, I was actually rooting for the toys.

I mean, in the end, I really don’t think it would be that easy to forgive someone who tried to get away with murder so easily, as in the final film, it was a simple misunderstanding.

And here’s two more scenes:
youtube.com/watch?v=B-H4o91-V3E
I actually liked this one, it was pretty funny, although, I felt bad for Woody. Some viewpoints look like they were re-used in Toy Story 3.

youtube.com/watch?v=ao7lCdSy … re=related
For the most part, this one made it into the movie, although the last part about Shakes the rattle wasn’t. [spoil]And this also found a home in Toy Story 3 with Chuckles.[/spoil] It was kinda crossing the PG boundaries with the swearing though, and I think Sid’s room was best left up to the imagination. And finally, how the heck did two rattles end up in Sid’s room?
P.S., is that Jack Angel doing the voice?

I actually like some of these scenes, especially the western opening and Shakes the Rattle. “Oooh! Scaarry!” :laughing: I’m happy that the whole fantasy idea got incorporated into Toy Story 3.

I thought they should of kept the scene when Sid is shown torturing Buzz and Woody before he interrogates Woody but it wouldn’t explain how Buzz got the dart on his butt.

I wasn’t.

Like I said, Woody just tried to murder Buzz.

And I think Buzz got the suction cups stuck on him when he fell into the pile of junk behind the workbench.

And THAT’S what happens when Disney interferes with Pixar’s work.

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: done right! (though Zurg looked very strange back then…)
I wonder if the ‘planet of orphans’ thing was how they got the idea for [spoil]that scene in Toy Story 3…[/spoil]

Andy’s so adorable with that hair dryer. xD

“THE SUN! THE SUN HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED! CHILDREN CAN’T PLAY, YOU’LL NEVER GET UP IN THE MORNING, NO MORE BREAKFAST!..”

Omg, the Shakes the Rattle scene! I’ve been looking all over for that! Thanks Dinoco!
The swear word seems inappropriate to us now, but (I’m guessing) this storyboard was made in 1993 or so. I’ve heard ‘hell’ used several times in movies around that time, so this wouldn’t be too extreme back then.

Well, if they (the toys) went out into the yard on their own for some reason, and Sid was around, he might have ‘borrowed’ them…
And on a side note, I think the tiger toy telling the story is some kind of teething ring, not a rattle.

Actually, when you think about how intentionally cheesy they made this opening feel, it almost explains a lot on why they were never too concerned about Buzz Lightyear of Star Command being made. It’s like purposefully making a show that feels like a Saturday Morning cartoon cause they had tried doing it themselves.

The BLOSC Zurg even ended up using that ‘planet of orphans’ line in the direct-to-video movie, only changed to the ‘planet of widows and orphans’ .

Didn’t all the Black Friday stuff get changed because Disney hated it? So the Disney “interference” was for the best, obviously. The Disney hate by some Pixar fans is ridiculous.

I guess It sounded like I personally didn’t like disney before, but I want to state that that’s not true. I like a lot of their stuff.

And, I’m not sure how right this is, but from TV tropes:

"Disney exec Jeffrey Katzenberg wanted Toy Story to be “edgy”, which resulted in more adult humor and a [jerk] version of Woody. A story reel version was shown to Roy Disney, who called it “one of the worst things I’ve ever seen.” The Pixar boys started from scratch and the rest is history. Not to mention that Toy Story production was almost completely canceled as a result of Katzenberg getting exactly what he asked for and not liking it. Legend has it that Pixar intentionally made the reel obnoxiously bad in hopes of changing the execs’ minds. It worked almost too well; Disney almost killed the movie outright, and it took a drastically revised script to convince them to give it a second chance. "

So Disney both ruined it and fixed it. My mistake.

EDIT: Beat me to it.

Well Disney’s changed a lot now, but it was Jeffrey Katzenberg at the time who kind of pushed those suggestions on Pixar to try and make the film edgy (and surprisingly in The Pixar Story they say that he actually couldn’t see what was wrong with them). Now of course he’s running DreamWorks Animation in direct rivalry with Pixar, so we all know where that edginess stuff brought him.

I wasn’t really just referring to you, it’s something I’ve seen throughout other communities as well. But apparently I wasn’t 100% right either.

Sorry, I guess the others already answered for me while I was typing.

Yeah, my own comment on letting people at Disney tell you how to make your story wasn’t entirely worded right either. It’s what kind of people at Disney that was the problem with that Black Friday scene, not exactly Disney itself.

Either way, it was still a blessing in disguise.

The Black Friday clip… it was a bit bad, but if they had the rest of the film play out like the final film with a bit more of Woody sticking up for Buzz at Sid’s house… Woody miiight be redeemed in my eyes. Woody was very evil and rude in that scene. Especially where he chews out Slinky and thinks he’s hot stuff, and not giving a damn about Buzz.

I was cheering for the toys too when they were gonna throw him. And I like Rex being more aggressive there; Woody deserved it with how he acted. I don’t think Slinky was too mean there - I woulda done the same thing to Woody if he just told me what he told Slinky. Woody was a real dick in there. Very glad to see that never came to be. But now we know what Sarge was saying before Woody cut him off!

The scene where Buzz thinks the Sun is gone was hilarious. “THE SUN IS GOOONE!!! CHILDREN CAN’T PLAY, NO MORE BREAKFAST!!!” That made me laugh my ass off. The rest of the scene - meh.