Sid's Symbols

Pixar’s inserted a lot of jokes into Sid’s character, mainly heavy metal references.
First is the iconic skull. Originally, I thought Pixar borrowed this from the Zero Skateboards logo, but it’s actually the other way around. Someone then brought up that it may be a Misfits reference. What do you think?

Wikipedia said before that it was a Punisher logo, but I don’t see the resemblance, other than the fact that it’s a skull. I also made some slight edits to that Misfits logo, which makes it look a little bit more like Sid’s skull.

Sid also had a Megadork poster in his room. This is obviously a Megadeth reference. Not sure what the guy on the poster represents, though (looks like Marilyn Manson).

The next poster is simply a Calico Jack pirate flag. No hidden jokes here, probably just goes along with the skull motif.

Finally, Sid has a poster, which is almost identical to the Ramones’ ‘We’re Outta Here!’ Pics will come later, but I’m sure of this one. There’s also a couple more posters, which I’m hoping the community can help me identify.

One problem though, just like the whole Zero Skull thing, the CD that this is the artwork for was released in 1997. That doesn’t mean that the artwork could’ve been used elsewhere, I guess.

I can’t offer any specifics about the poster, but what I can say is that it was either created by, or was a tribute to, the works of Ed “Big Daddy” Roth, the creator of the Rat Fink character in the mid-twentieth century. Hereare a couple of examples of his work, and you can see more at bigdaddyroth.com, or do a google search of his name to find even more references.

Sadly, Ed Roth died in 2001.

Thanks for that clarification on that. I’m not sure if I want to further pursue the other posters or not, seeing as there’s always the possibility that it was just made specifically for the movie.

Yeah, I’m sure a lot of the things we see were created fore the movie, but even then it shows us a lot about the filmmakers. Take the skull, for example. It could be either a tribute to the Punisher or the Misfits, and it would be cool to know which. And that poster clearly shows that someone was a fan of Big Daddy Roth. I wonder what inspired them to choose the other symbols? I can’t believe they were just random.

In fact, the more I learn about the films, the more I believe that almost nothing in them was just randomly chosen. Remember the bookshelf in Andy’s room? They could have just thrown random titles on the books, but every one has a reference to someone or something connected to the film.

I’ll get screenshots just to see if anyone has any info.

Megadork

This one’s really hard to see, it says Web of Terror, and looks kinda like a b-movie poster, as there’s some dude with a spider body attacking a damsel in distress (maybe an in-joke).

Kill’n Paul Bunyan

Reviving this thread one more time, just in case someone missed the updates.

I formspring’d Lee Unkrich about Sid’s skull (I also wanted to ask about that old lady in his house and some of his posters, but didn’t want to get greedy). He hasn’t been on in two weeks, but I’d assume he’s busy during the premier.

sorry about this bump, but…

today i was looking at looking at some smashing pumpkin shirts (he he.) and came across the brand “zero” skating…and it happens that sid’s skull is their logo:

which make sense because Sid does skate, as well as some cool trivia for the toy story fan.

Yeah, that’s cleared up in the first post, as Zero borrowed Sid’s symbol, probably to cash in on the massive success of Toy Story when Zero started the following year.

ahhh…oh how i missread things =/

No, that’s still cool. At least this thread got a much-needed bump.

I love the Megadork poster!

Note the mickey mouse tattoo.

Was The Ramones CD cover based on Rat Fink?

I think the “Web Of Terror” poster may be a reference to The Fly. The “Megadork” poster is probably a take on the band Megadeth, and if you look on the creepy guy’s right arm, he has what looks to be a Mickey Mouse tattoo, something like what you call a “Hidden Mickey”. I also know that the Paul Bunyan poster made a small appearance in Monsters Inc.

Could you tell me where in Monsters Inc. :question:

It briefly appears during the scare floor sequence when a terrified monster comes out of a door crying. I’ll post some screenshots.

Toy Story:

Monsters Inc:

Thanks, Geoff-uk1234.

Thanks a bunch for the info! I never knew that, and this might suggest that it’s a Pixar joke or something.

The bloke on the Megadork poster looks like Ozzy Osbourne more than it does Manson.
Awesome finds!