The Art of Toy Story 3

Amazon.com is now offering pre-order purchases for the new PIXArt book, Toy Story 3.
[url]http://www.amazon.com/Art-Toy-Story-Charles-Solomon/dp/0811874346/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260683929&sr=8-1[/url]
I am insanely excited for this book, almost as much as I am for the film. I’m getting the Art of Toy Story for Christmas, and this will be a wonderful future addition.

This sounds like a very, very good book to have, especially if you don’t have the first Art of Toy Story, as I don’t. I have to say, I am very tempted. Thanks for the information, Pixar Builder.

That’s pretty dang awesome. :smiley: I don’t think I’ll get it though.

Definitely purchase. Sounds great and not a terrible price.

New cover art thanks to The Pixar Blog:

I think this is better. Who agrees with me?

I like this cover better, the colors are a little too busy but other than that it’s much more appealing.

I think I preferred the other one. there’s the more appealing limited color pallet, and I just liked hte simplicity of it. and the box seemed to represent the theme of the movie more. this was just sorta says “look at all the new toys we have”. and even though the movie largely takes place at sunny side, having a pic in Andy room would pack more of a punch to me.

I do want this book, but I wont be able to get it for a while, unless I hold off on buying Jessie and Bullseye.

Parka Blogs got a review copy already, and should have a review up sometime tomorrow. This should include his usual page fly-through of the book, which should give us a nice look at some new art.

I’m definitely looking forward to that. Either way I’m already putting aside some money every pay check to try and let myself buy this book.

Interestingly, almost every ‘Art of’ book I’ve seen (with the exception of Avatar) has a traditionally-based medium artpiece on its cover. Which is the natural choice, of course, since we want to appeal to the fine-arts inspiration behind those newfangled computer graphics.

Oh, and the cover looks fab. And I always look forward to that Singaporean’s reviews, so I’ll be watching out for his opinion on this baby. :slight_smile:

The new cover does look beautiful, especially with that lovely use of lighting, but like some of the others I think I preferred the simplicity of the old cover; this new cover does have quite an array of colours that looks almost too busy.

That’s an interesting point, thedriveintheatre. You’re probably right though, about it trying to appeal to the traditional artists as there’s already so much focus on the computery side of things.

I like the new cover better, although the other one was very beautiful… And I’l probably get this book.

I dunno. As much as I love the design of the new book, I have to agree with Kyle that the last one really captured the emotional impact of Toy Story 3, what with Woody being the only toy left on a young adult’s desk. Still, no matter what, I’m going to buy that book just like I did with WALL-E, Up and the orig. Art of Toy Story.

I hope they include some set pieces from the WDW Display. Love to see the different art work in book form. When does this go out on sale?

I have no doubt they’ll put every single one of those pieces in the book, that’s what they always put in these art of books, the same art they used in the Disney world displays.

Parka’s current thoughts, briefly from Twitter…

“Just finished reading The Art of Toy Story 3. You will be moved by the movie.”
@leeunkrich Just finished reading the art book for TS3. Kudos to the story treatment. You guys are amazing.”

If that much can be said from just the art book, who knows what the final movie will be like…

The review is up! He had quite a few good things to say. Contains some spoilers, though.

I love the new art we get to see here. I like the subtle changes they made to Woody this time as well as some of the earlier concepts for Lotso.

parkablogs.com/content/book-revi … oy-story-3

Holy crap, that Woody page alone would be great reference for me to work with. ( as you guy may have seen on the board board,Ive been trying to model my own version of the characters myself from scratch)

I just pre-ordered it from amazon :smiley: No, I couldn’t wait until after I’ve seen the movie, :stuck_out_tongue: But the delivery estimate date is June 4 - June 18… aww man :frowning: That’s like an eternity away… xD

What I usually find when ordering PIXART books, is that by the time the book finally arrives on your doorstep, it’s already been on sale at Borders/ Barnes & Noble two days ago. I’m just planning on going to my nearest bookstore and buying it on it’s scheduled release date.