Toy Story 20th Anniversary: News and Speculation

2015 marks the 20th anniversary of Toy Story (5th anniversary of Toy Story 3 as well), which is no small landmark indeed. This thread’ll keep track of official word, and other speculation for what’s to come.

My first prediction may be wishful thinking, but an expanded score would be nice:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14330

What’s likely to happen? Home video re-release for sure. So far, I don’t think they’ve topped the special features seen on the Ultimate Toy Box Edition (the DVD edition). So realistically, we’re looking at a basic Blu Ray/DVD release with the features seen on the latest Blu Ray releases. Honestly, there’s really not much more I want to see; they’ve already given us documentaries and interviews galore, along with a wealth of concept art and test footage/deleted scenes. The only thing they could do would be finish some of the unfinished deleted scenes and give us a “Director’s Cut” type thing. That I’d buy in a heartbeat, but it’s unlikely.

Toys are another sure thing. Maybe a Toy Story Collection-type revival, with an emphasis on collectors. I foresee Woody and Buzz at least, not sure if they’ll attempt to make a line out of it.

Finally, theatrical re-release. Hey, I’d see it again on the big screen.

UPDATES:
Thinkway announces a 20th Anniversary full-scale line, confirming Buzz, Woody, and Jessie so far (seemingly a re-release of the standard figures from 2009):
licensemag.com/license-globa … ixar-films

pixar might try to give us something, but disneys tossed us out for that nasty musical, the retarded one that beat toy story 3s record. im not goinig to type it s nasty name

I think this image is relevant to the occassion:

There is no way 2015 will go by and Disney will not capitalize on the event.

Also, Happy New Year!

Maybe they could do a special edition boxset that comes with a die-cast Pizza Planet Truck and has the Live-Action version on it, though it would be unlikely. I’d buy that in a heartbeat. I agree with ya Dinoco, I’d love to see it on the big screen again. I wasn’t around for the original release but I saw the 3-D release and I’d gladly see it again.

Will be interesting if they do a rerelease since it was only a few years ago when they released it on Blu-Ray to start with. But by all means! Here’s hoping! I have heard that there will be a special edition of the Toy Story soundtrack to release in a few years, not next year, but it’s certainly something to look forward to.

Pretty cool, I’ve seen a few more images where they use the TS3 models to recreate shots from the originals.

And the more I think about it, the less likely it seems that we’ll get toys (at least of the full-scale Thinkway variety). Looking at what was put out for the TV specials, I don’t know how the 20th anniversary of the original would compare in terms of priority. Though Disney Store has always pleasantly surprised us.

I guess it could go either way. But I can see how a 20th anniversary would have a lot more appeal and take priority over some new tv only special that not everyone even knows exists. Some haven’t even seen the other two movies if you can believe it. With the anniversary everyone knows the original and this would be a celebration of where it all began.

But yeah, if they do take advantage of it I can see at most some new anniversary themed packaging of what he already have. probably not anything I would bother with. Unless they did a special logoless version of the packaging, maybe put the logo on the bottom. That would be a nice incentive. Not likely at all though.

I forgot to mention that D23 is this year. There might be an event planned for Toy Story’s 20th anniversary. Considering how the event handled Toy Story of Terror and the limted edtion Mini Buzz, we might see an event similar to the one shown two years ago.

Less likely, but there is always Comic-con.

Since it’s now 2015, hoverboards will become available this year (according to BTTF 2), so maybe we could get a Toy Story-themed hoverboard! 8D 8D

In all seriousness though, what I think would be cool is if they made a book similar to The Pixar Treasures, which was a book released in 2010 and had pull-outs replicas of many Pixar and even Disney things (for example there was a replica of the Presto poster and a very old Disney brochure thing), but instead, put replicas from the Toy Story films in it. Maybe put some small replicas of Andy’s and Sid’s posters and maybe some Woody’s Roundup props. Maybe even throw in the Buzz Lightyear manual. I bet it would be unlikely but I would buy it in a heartbeat.

i would love '95 merch rereleased. BUT I KNOW IT WONT HAPPEN!

I just realized that this year is also the 5th anniversary of Toy Story 3, even though it doesn’t seem that way. I wonder if they would tie these two milestones together.

No one celebrates 5th anniversaries, at least not big studios/companies. The big ones are numbers like 10, 15, 20, 25, etc.

It would be nice to have another TV special, even though I was somewhat disappointed by TSTTF. Though, weren’t we made aware of the Christmas special a good while before 2014, so we probably would’ve heard about any new content by now.

And even though it’s the 20th anniversary, that doesn’t mean people are suddenly more willing to buy the toys. If they don’t have a new toyline planned anyways, they’re probably not gonna do it because of the anniversary either.

howard jones says:
“the illusion slowly beckons but the answer is no”
and im totally agreeing.
god, id like to go back to the nineties and snag me woody an buzz for 15$ a pop. those guys are the best!

Bittersweet news guys: Yes there are toys confirmed for the anniversary but they’re made by Thinkway…

Here’s a quote from the website describing Disney Consumer Product’s plan for the line:

The toys are basically the standard toys with a new box. Unless there is anything new at the New York Toy Fair, don’t expect anything stellar from this line.

Here’s the website: [url]http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/dcp-readies-toys-pixar-films[/url]

Thanks for the heads up, SpaceSheriff. I guess it isn’t much of a surprise that they’re just re-releasing the basic versions of the TS3-era dolls. Though they did mention a “broad assortment of characters” as well. I hope that that doesn’t exclusively refer to Buzz, Woody, and Jessie.

I can confirm that Disney will be making an appearance at the NY Toy Fair from Feb. 14th to the 17th. The only thing I know that TOMY (the manufacterers of the Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur toy lines) will also make an appearance.

The assortment of characters in the “collectible figures range” might just be Mattel’s 4-5 inch toys. Similar to these guys:

Even though we may get lackluster toys, Disney will not skip a beat to provide some sort of giant Toy Story box set.

imma throw a B.F if its just a 2009 rerelease, but maybe ill be surprised.

I actually have those two figures shown in the photo. I remember buying those two and Jingle Joe and put the TRU bag they were in in a bin full of toys. When I went down later to take them up to my room to open them, I could only find the Woody and Jingle Joe. Then when I opened Woody, his arm snapped right off because it was very fragile. So I had to rebuy Woody and Buzz :unamused:

I really hope that if there is a 20th anniversary boxset, if it has any bonus features not seen previously, release it as a separate DVD. I own pretty much every version of the film released (I’m probably going to make an entire thread about the Home Video releases like I did the Video Games) and I don’t need any more

95 merch=10/10