Grasshoppers vs. locusts?

My friend and I were talking about ABL today and he had a very interesting thought: Would locusts have made better villains for the film rather than grasshoppers? His argument was that between the two, locusts are more dangerous and cause the most damage. Thoughts?

Locusts does cause more damage, if you’re a crop!

I thought that grasshoppers worked fine, especially since the movie was somewhat inspired the fable “The Ant and the Grasshopper”

Hmm, that’s an interesting point. They seem to look pretty similar. But as ellie-jessie-eve said, as locusts do damage to crops, it wouldn’t be immediately obvious as to why they’d be picking on ants. Then again, the same could be said for grasshoppers, I guess. I don’t know, in short. :laughing:

I do agree that in real life locusts are the more vicious creatures, but I think Pixar made the right choice by going with grasshoppers. No one really thinks of these bugs as mean or evil, so it was a huge shock seeing the true hatred inside of Hopper and his pals. It was definitely unexpected, and I like that. Locusts would’ve been too obvious.

The story takes place somewhere in the US or Mexico though right? At least that seems to be the case.

Do those parts of the world even have locusts?

I don’t know for sure but generally whenever I hear about locusts, it’s in some other part of the world.

Apparently some extinct species of locusts were up to 6 inches long. Pretty huge for an insect.

From what I gathered online, locusts are found all over the world. There are 12 species worldwide.

Interesting. I guess I just didn’t bother looking deep enough into it. XD LOL.

Hadn’t really given this much thought, but I think Pixar made the right descision with grasshoppers. Locusts get enough flack for their destructiveness, so having an insect that isn’t stuck with a bad reputation makes it more interesting.