Violets Hair

This color, this ONE color has me baffled. Her father has blonde hair, her mother has brown hair. No one else in her family has black hair but her. Which led me to think…Is Violet adopted?

I had thought about that for a while and thought to myself; “How can she be adopted if she has powers?” while being a strong piece of evidence against that theory whos to say that (if she was adopted) maybe her parents were once supers as well, they could’ve been killed by Syndrome. Its all a very interesting thing I stumbled across a while ago.

Your thoughts?

Bob and Helen Parr probably both carry a black recessive gene.

Actually, I reread my message and concluded that Bob has a black recessive gene while Helen has a blonde recessive gene.

That is a possibility as well. But think outside the box.

Maybe she dyes it? :laughing:

The obvious ‘real’ answer is that Pixar chose the colour to reflect her shy personality, but it’s interesting to think of alternative explanations. I like your idea, Dirty Birdy, that Violet’s real parents might have been killed by Syndrome and so Bob and Helen felt compelled to look after her, especially if Bob felt a bit guilty about his rejection of Buddy when he was younger.

Violet wouldn’t be Violet without her black hair. I mean, there are ressesive black genes out there and she kinda reflects her parents, so I doubt that she’s adopted, and, maybe if she was, does it matter?

lizardgirl could also be right in saying that Violet just dyes her hair, especially if she wants to remain inconspicuous in places.

you’re right, that color was supposed to reflect her personality, I know. :smiley:
I am simply suggesting this as a clever what-if. I don’t truly believe that shes adopted, but it makes a good “what if”

Another thing that my sister brought up was why does Violet have two while the rest have only one? compelling! but then I remebered that Jack-Jack has more than one power as well. See the beauty of a theory? One thing just seems so truthfull, but then a wedge a tiny wedge just totally contradicts it at times shattering that theory.

While I highly doubt that Violet’s adopted, it doesn’t hurt to think “what if.” After all, we need some more creative minds in this world. :wink: Though I don’t really like the idea of Violet being adopted, simply because it just doesn’t seem right and I think it would feel weird. I also don’t think she dyes it. Though that kind of black is rare (especially with people with of Caucasian descent), there are some people with hair like that. It’s possible that one of her grand parents had black hair, and got it from them, as has been stated before. And I have a good example to back this up:

My mom has Black hair, but both of her parents are brunets. But my mom’s grandmother had black hair, so that’s probably where she gets it from. So it is possible for hair color to “skip” a generation. Such as I got my Papa’s brown/dirty blond hair.

And if I might say what I think about Violet’s hair: it’s just down right GORGEOUS! :smiley: ! I wish my hair looked like that. Sometimes I wear a wig just so I can look like her (a REAL wig, not a crappy Halloween costume one). I’ve also thought of getting hair pieces put in to cover my real hair to look like hers, or even dyeing it (but I highly doubt that’s gonna happen). I just LOVE that girls hair :slight_smile: !

I know there isn’t really an answer for it, but my answer, if I were to guess, is that she dyed her hair black.

I’ve wondered that, too. The two possibilites that I personally believe, as others before me have stated, is that she either dyed her hair black or it’s a recessive gene. I don’t think she’s adopted because, well, I think if she were, then there’d probably be more conflict within the story of how Vi doesn’t feel that close to her family as the rest. HOWEVER that idea, I must say, is interesting and original, it never occured to me before. It could make a good “what if” fanfic or fan vid if you’re up for it. :wink:

Also, about how she has two powers, I’ve wondered that also. I mean, I know both are important for her character and also to reflect her shy, defensive personality, but I have wondered the explanation for that. I once came up with a theory (ok, it was actually a little story, but I never got to writing it down ever so if anyone want to use this idea, be my guest, I don’t mind…) : What if Violet had a twin sister and they each had one of those powers. But the twin passed away as a baby and somehow by some complicated superhero genes thing, Vi gained her sister’s power as well. I know it sounds unscientific and illogical, but it’s only a “what if”. :wink:

Like Violet Parr explained, a likely explanation is that the black hair gene was recessive in the Parr family (although they usually tend to be dominant). So while both her parents didn’t have black hair, her grandparents and generations before probably did, and two recessives make a positive (or whatever I can remember from my Biology classes).

Then again, she could have gone for a dye like the rest of you said.

I couldn’t agree more. :wink:

I always thought it was either her natural hair color or she dyed it.

I am up for “what ifs!” :slight_smile:

I just thought of a more scandalous idea… yes, you get the drift. One of her parents cheated on the other spouse (more likely Helen, since the mothers tend to have greater emotional attachment to the baby) and the other forgave him/her and agreed to raise Violet together.

It sounds awful, but might make for a great soap opera…

thedriveintheatre, in my opinion, has just won the prize for ‘Best Answer in Thread’.

Here, have another cookie. :laughing:

Thing is, the differences between Violet and her parents doesn’t end there. Look at Violet’s nose. It’s quite a wide, button type nose, very unlike her father’s sharp, defined nose and her mother’s slimmer, upward pointing nose. Dash, on the other hand, has quite a similar nose to his mother.

Violet’s build is also quite different to both of her parents. Obviously she isn’t as heavy-built as her father, but she also seems not to have inherited the curves of her mother. (And to those who say, ‘but what about their age difference? Maybe Violet will have those curves when she’s a bit older’, that might be the case, but even at the beginning of the movie we see Helen as a younger woman and she still has that cuvacious body shape, something that would at least be beginning to show on Violet’s body at her age. But maybe she’s a late developer. :laughing:)

So, you never know…

I see what you mean. I don’t know, I still like the idea of it just being her natural color and her being related to both her parents. But, again, it’s a good “what if.” I actually think the best example of her not looking like her parents is her nose. But I also come from a family where almost everyone has a fairly large nose, but I have a really small nose. And, as for her body type, she is very different from her parents. But, as you said, she’s probably a late developer. And I have my own personal explanation for that… she has an eating disorder. That, or she gets sick a lot. But, again, simply a “what if” (with a story behind it in this case :wink: ).

You know what, you could be on to somthing… but what if, when she was still in her mom’s womb, she had a twin at an early stage, but they merged together (this actually has happened in real life, people who were born like that end up having two different sets of DNA), where they literally became one. She would’ve absorbed the power of her twin. And that would actually make a lot of sense because it can actually happen. That’s a good theory!

Maybe we should change the name of this thread to “Speculations about Violet’s looks” or something :laughing: .

Here we go! the ideas come running! woo! I didnt even notice the things you brought up, good eye! :wink:

Black is a dominate gene, is it not? So it is pretty impossible.

Its all about character design rather than genetics.

If a character looks right a certain way, then they just have to work with what they have :slight_smile:

Look at the Simpsons… None of the kids have Marg’s blue hair…

Or Family Guy… Peter is brunette and Louis is Red haired, yet Chris has blonde hair…